Agnostic.com

27 4

What do you see as the biggest threat to the future of our grandchildren?

It took 200,000 years for the human population to reach 1 billion people, then only 200 years to get to 7 billion. The population has gone crazy since I was born. How can we expect the world the remain comfortable?

Rugglesby 8 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Global warming, garbage and recycling problems, unsafe water and food. And here in the US I'd add the current Republican agenda to this list as we will soon be a country with few human rights.

We are the biggest threat. I don't expect the world to remain comfortable.

If you truly want to control the population, you don't have to look very far, as population control is possible and I have a feeling that religion does not want to happen. So how do we control the growth of this earth? Empower women.

It’s official: Japan’s population is dramatically shrinking
[washingtonpost.com]

World Population Out of Balance
[manataka.org]

First Nations women have always been leaders
[winnipegfreepress.com]

When women are in control, our population is controlled. In Japan, by the year 3011, there will not be a full-blooded Japanese (like me) ever. Why is that? Many women want to work than raise kids. If we empower women, and let them control their own bodies, and stop the pro-life B.S. of making women baby factories, then we can truly control the size of this planet. Conservatives hate abortion, so if this were to happen, watch Planned Parenthood go out of business.

Religion, governments and industry do not want it to happen.

The dishonest propaganda campaign by those in power to keep themselves rich and in charge at the cost of anything else. It makes the uneducated masses their own worst enemy.

Climate change. Water and food shortages will cause major panic everywhere. Look at Cape Town for example: when they were told they would run out of water in 78 days gangs started stealing and stock piling water. Resources will become vital as crops begin to fail from extreme temperatures. No way a changing climate can sustain the amount of people currently on this earth.

Over population. We need a good plague. 🙂

But seriously, we need world wide population control.
Immediately....although the tipping point toward destruction may have already zoomed past us...

Climate change.

In America our food is shit. Have a nice healthy salad, grown in contaminated crap, sprayed with carcinogenic shit, what doesn't give you cancer will screw up your metabolisism and immune system and make you diabetic. Everyone lies. There is a vicious cycle of make 'em sick then make them pay to get well, which won't happen so then pay to bury them. In the mean time work them to death and keep them as ignorant as possible. In otherwords, other humans.

Overpopulation. the more people the more problems the more problems the more violence. Our current political climate I think is an example that we are beginning to feel the massive unrelenting overpopulation issue. Humans are social animals and when social animals are overpopulated extreme aggressive behavior and killing becomes extremely Common Place.

Climate change.

EdEarl Level 8 June 14, 2018

ourselves

Greed! From public parks and beaches to water rights and the very air we breath, these things that we all need to sustain us should not be owned by Corporations and the uber rich.

CLGD Level 2 June 14, 2018

I view 3 things as huge threats: (1) overpopulation, (2) fossil fuels, and (3) Donald Trump

Get rid of religion,use birth control to reduce poverty and need for large families,abortion for all women who want it,limit number of children to a couple exclude multiple births.These families having 8 and 12 children need to be penalized someway.

Marine Level 8 June 14, 2018

I've always thought pregnancies could be prevented better if males got vasectomies after 1 or 2 children. Women can basically make only one baby a year or two. Men on the other hand and get a different woman pregnant several times a week. Put the burden on him. Just being realistic. Not an anti male lost. I like men.

Religion.

I was thinking this myself because I grew up in the smallest London borough in 1948- post war we were decimated but all the survivors were amazing =so glad to be alive so happy to be able to buy 'things' and we all seemed to know each other and people were cheerful and very happy with the Irish and Hispanic people who came to live with us and delighted with the huguenot silk weavers in the East end - I don't remember people being unhappy at all - People were kind and helpful because we were not overcrowded. if children were out late men would stand under the street lamps to make sure we got home safely without being intimidated . we biked, roller skated,and played on the bomb sitesas well as playing in the road as there were very few cars and the ones that came were always very slow - It seems that everyhting has speeded up since then - and thats just my lifetime .

jacpod Level 8 June 15, 2018

Oligarchy, the end of a Democracy.

the rapid increase in contaminated food & water for a staggeringly increasing population, angry & desperate: chemicals, hormones, gmos, etc.

Our civilisation really is a debacle. Our supposed intelligence enabled this huge population. It is a pity it wasn't smart enough to curb it's own habits.

@Rugglesby, just what i was thinking: more of that intelligence would probably have prevented the explosion of human population.

The corporations that are ruining the world

Too many children is the biggest threat to most nature including us.

We can't until we start right now educating people of the damage we do to our planet. Get a way of quieting the anti-global warming sect. Stop using plastic for all liquids; go back to real glass bottles and require a deposit on them like there was at one time, use metal containers for liquid non-food items, go back to powdered products and use cardboard paper boxes, and a lot more. OK, I'm done with my rant.

A penny doubled then those pennies doubled then those pennies doubled...

My favorite example.
When I first used it about 30 years ago, a penny invested at the time of Christ at the global average interest rate at that time would buy 3 lumps of gold each the size of the earth/ Now it would buy about 15. My other fave is a bacteria in a solution. It doubles it number every day until at some point, though it may take years, it will have consumed 1/2 the nutrient in its container. It will consume the other half in the very next day. Give it 3 more containers of nutrient and it will last another 2 days.

I think the last war will be fought over water

(1) Nuclear war.
(2) Islam.

Trump and republicans. Especially the funnymentalist ones. They think their sky daddy is going to save all of them while killing off all of the folks who don't buy their bullshit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106659
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.