Agnostic.com

27 5

Inlaws are Trump supporters.

Both of my last two long term partners had parents who supported Trump. The last one's father was the assistant police chief and said "God did not intend for the races to mix" and "forbid" his daughter to date other races. He also was a giant man baby who would throw a screaming fit in, public no less, for the smallest things like "Missing the previews" before a movie or heaven forbid he missed some weekend football.

I live in a red area of a red state. I have to learn to deal with these individuals, but I currently have zero patience for them. My coping technique so far has been to restrict my comments to the weather, resist rolling my eyes at what they say and avoid contact as much as possible. My exes did not like that, and I broke it off with them because, predictably, they sided with there parents over me.

When most of my neighbors are racist, nationalist, cultists, how do I go about dating there daughters. Or find people that are not indoctrinated by right wing brainwashing?

• 15 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 2 votes
JoshArnaldo 5 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You need to find a woman not dependent on her parents approval.

Donna_I Level 8 June 16, 2018

My now ex-husband was seriously handsome. Looked like Billy Zane in his younger days. I married him pretty quickly as we were in the “omg!” stage of being in lost...that mixture of love and lust that is utterly blind to reality.
After marriage, a few months in, we were discussing child rearing approaches. I found out that my Adonis believed that there was an Adam and Eve, there was no way that evolution was a thing, and he would teach our prospective children that. Then he said, if one of our kids were gay, he would throw them out. He was a lovely person in many aspects and really kind, but sorry, that comment was the end. I ended it two weeks later. I could admire some of his character traits, and find him hot, but there was no future with someone who thought like that. I challenged him, and he agreed that it was wrong of him to think of LGBT people like that, but deep down, did I affect real change in him? Doubt it. Move on!

Livia Level 6 June 16, 2018

@AncientNight What a romantic story. So many of us don’t find “the one” - how lovely to get to spend so much of your life with someone you love and who loves you back! That’s a really special love story. Look after yourself! No microwave dinners for one (I eat them all the time!)

Dude you have to move! How could you live in a place like that?

Dang, we're 5 hours apart. ?

Just kidding. But seriously, I'm a 3rd generation Atheist and from a super Liberal family. Living Blue in the very red Arkansas. We exist. Keep your eyes and ears open. You'll find a good match who you can be yourself around.

I met my Craig 8 months ago. We are 1,000 miles apart, have spent a week together, and are very much in love, maintaining constant communication. He will be visiting for 10 days in July. Money is the main issue preventing us from immediately being together, but we are making those future plans. Never let distance interfere with love.

My family supports trump. They aren't jerks about it. I stand my ground on my views, but also do everything in my power to not get on the topic of politics and religion.

If my partner isn't willing to side with me over their parents, or whomever, I'm thinking it's the wrong fit.
And I could not remain silent in the face of bigotry. Nope.

Silence is acceptance. Remaining silent when you hear racist comments is tolerating them. I don't start an argument but I do make a point of stating that this is not acceptable. Don't date daughters who tolerate their parents' racist views.

Elie Level 3 June 16, 2018

I agree with your last sentence completely! If I am in London, when I see and hear bigotry I totally call it out. If I were the only left-winger atheist in a small conservative Evangelical Trump loving town, I would question why the fuck I am there in the first place. Trump fans are in a weird cult like cannot be saved from their own ignorance, and those types tend to act in packs. You could present them with all kinds of facts and they think he is ordained by god. There is no reasoning with them, and quite honestly if it got really heated and there are guns about, it could get very nasty indeed. If you are alone in that situation, you have to get out, for your own mental health, and let those racist motherfuckers rot in their crumbling shit hole of a town.
He could do better by going to New York, Chicago, Seattle and join an activist movement for change in whatever cause he thinks best.

It's a war you can't win...nor should you try. Stay as far away as possible. Don't put her in the position of choosing sides or..you'll lose, one way or another. GOOD LUCK!

If someone does not realize that we are suffering under a Nazi invasion, then they are stupid, a Nazi themselves, or both. I know his family history, his statements, and his actions.
I'm not just calling names when I say that Trump is mentally ill. You don't have to be a professional to see it, but I worked with children and young adults who suffered from mental illness and emotional disturbances.
Many of us are suffering from some form of depression, as we see others suffer, and our country cater to dictators while alienating our allies, under his occupation, through a stolen election.
I have removed all those from FB and my life who would support this maniac.

I voted for your "abandon Long Term Relationships And just Hookup For The Rest Of Your LIfe" because you did not have:

"Maintain a high level of self respect and not waste your time with irrational (theists/Trump supporters) people who fail to understand the difference between truth, fantasy, and reality.

As for Hooking up? My standards for not wasting time with irrational people leave me without that option as the only rational people I know in these parts are already committed.

After review, Guess you first option would have been a better choice.

Since most of the "girls" I date are more likely to be parents than have parents that have any control over them this is not my problem. My advice to you is to be your own man; you are not dating their parents so, the hell with them. Confidence and self respect are great aphrodisiacs.

People like that make me want to start with them. I LIKE taking them on.
Then again, I'm not trying to date anyone, so their approval means absolutely
nothing to me.
When I was married to my ex-husband, his parents (and as it turned out, he as well) were Bush supporters. They avoided bringing the subject up around me.
They knew I wouldn't back down from any debate.
Most people who know me don't even try to talk about 45 in front of me.
I live in a red area of a red state, too. I rejoined the republican party just so
I can get inside it and try to change it.
I don't hide my loathing of 45, or my atheism.
Life is too short to allow other people to intimidate you, for any reason.

Internet dating can help you find someone who doesnt think that way

I met her on eharmony and her profile said that she "Had no opinion about politics". I later found out that the reason she would not discuss politics was because of her parents. She like my other ex was avoiding the issue because she was uncomfortable with her parents views, but would not stand up to them or agreed with them but would not say so unless you really pressed them on the issue and then they would be mad at you for making them talk about politics. I don't fully understand it. Its just strange to me.

@JoshArnaldo You have quite the problem there... However even in the reddest of red states there should be enough suitable dates (it is going to be a rough challenge finding them).

@JoshArnaldo

This is why you should always care that her politics are as liberal as yours. Why are you dating these wishy-washy women? I wouldn't date a man who "didn't have an opinion about politics!" Goes to show her character, and how she stands up for herself and those weaker than her.

@JoshArnaldo
Also, get off eHarmony! Well known that site was started by Christian conservatives. Get on Match or Cupid, either would be better.

@hemingwaykitten Cupid is almost 70% men.

@JoshArnaldo
Okay...I'd take the 30% of liberal women on OKCupid over the 49% religious & conservative women on eHarmony anyday. What's the problem?

@hemingwaykitten I was on Ok cupid and a female friend of mine also made an account and was instantaneously overwhelmed with men messaging her. As a guy I will be trying to break thought the noise of all those other men. Its extremely depressing when you read hundreds of profiles and message hundreds of women and none message you back. You start to think there is something wrong with you or something. Luckily, my friend showed me her experience and I stopped wasting my time there and got dates on other sites where the sexes are closer to equilibrium. In our culture men have to initiate conversation, the women will not lift a finger, I have to get there attention and convince them that I'm worthy of there time. On okay cupid that means that I'm in direct competition with 70% of the users for the attention of 30% of the users.

@JoshArnaldo
Suit yourself...eHarmony is full of conservative Christians. OKCupid is not. Match is not. As for your female friend, that is pretty much universal on dating sites. I got overwhelmed whether it was on OKCupid or Match as well. Men aren't nearly as picky as women are.

@hemingwaykitten We, or should I say I don't feel that I have the choice to be picky. Modern dating is seriously depressing. I've read women's profiles that have minimum income requirements, height, and genitalia size requirements. Seriously, people today are jerks. I sometimes feel like I'm the only person left who is considerate of others.

@JoshArnaldo
You're not alone there, but considerate Americans are in short supply these days. There are just as many men raising hell on Reddit for the Men's Rights and Incel movements, and a few even here. Wayy too many pissed off white men who thought their privileges were rights.

Even if the ratio on eHarmony is 50/50, those women are almost all Xtian believers, so what's the attraction? Even if OKCupid and Match are 70% men/30% women, what does it matter? You only need one.

It comes off a little obnoxious to some women when men consider the whole dating issue a numbers game, a mass of collective women who must be hit on. Women are much more individualized. I think that's a big part of why men fail at online dating. They don't see the profiles as individual women. Many men just throw out hundreds of messages and never reference the information carefully given in a woman's profile. That's a guaranteed way to get ignored, because that is precisely what most men do. You're not fishing for everyone, you're selecting somone to get to know, who you may or may not end up dating.

I guarantee you there are just as many women on dating sites who don't respond because all they hear is the same old mass messaging shit from men.

P.S. Dating has always been depressing, since the dawn of time, on both sides.

@hemingwaykitten

I've read literally hundreds of women's profiles and sent well crafted messages that reference a common interest or ask a question about something that they said that I found interesting.
I have even found, and used, key words that women have asked potential suitors reference in there messages to prove that they read the profile in entirety.

I still get ignored. If I send twenty or thirty messages I may get one or two women in a week or two, who only have time for one word responses like; "k" and "cool" or "yup". Seriously I'm asking all the questions in full sentences and she is taking no interest in me at all.

You're right, it does become a numbers game and that's what I don't like about it.

It's much easier to skim messages for a mate then;

1)search for one you like
2)read there profile
3)decide if you still like them
4)think of something to say; funny, serious, sarcastic, emoji or no emoji? what fits there personality and perceived since of humor gleamed from there profile? etc.
5)compose a message
6)proof read and send
7) wait indefinitely because they don't give a shit and will never respond at all, ever. Not even to say "thanks but no thanks". (Because that would be too much work and possibly make you feel like you have some value, which you don't)

It doesn't matter what I message them, crafted or not, because the odds are 15/16 they will not respond.

I don't see what "pissed off white men who thought their privileges were rights." has to do with this.

I've made no claims to "rights" I've made claims that online dating is demoralizing and depressing. Just like women who don't like men making generic messages, I hate crafting a thoughtful and well composed first message just to be completely ignored.

Also, whatever happened to feminism? Why are none of the women taking a leading roll and messaging men with a well written message referencing there profiles? I'm on several dating sites and this has never happened, with the exception of three separate prostitutes who wanted me to pay them to hook up for the night.

Talk about taking advantage of vulnerable people. Find some lonely guy and get him to pay you $125 and hour for sex. Want do demoralize someone? Make them feel worthless and like an idiot? Imagine this; An attractive person actually contacts you, gives you hope and makes you believe that they are attracted to you. They complement you and make you feel like you matter. However, they are actually wasting even more of your time messing with you, because, as you will discover, they have an "appointment available" and it will be $125 an hour because "Time is money baby".

@JoshArnaldo
I don't see what prostitutes have to do with this. Most women who do not answer messages have had bad experiences with men online who can't take "thanks but no thanks" or "NO" for an answer.

@hemingwaykitten Well, I don't think there is an answer to this that will satisfy anyone.

I don't believe that the poor behavior of ether party excuses the poor behavior of anyone else.

I'm just expressing my frustration and exhaustion at feeling like I'm beating my head against a wall, or talking to a collection of pixels that are no more human than my bedroom wall.

I wonder if there is not a better way?

I quietly ignore attempts to drag me into political conversations. It wouldn't help relations no matter what I said.

Hi, I would invite you to find a job elsewhere and move where people are generally like you and feel as you do. If your girlfriend forces to to go through the confinement of daily self-censorship and tolerating the intolerance of others, then she is not the girl for you. Come to Chicago! Great city full of people who share your feelings.

Livia Level 6 June 16, 2018

No way! We have to stay and fight where we find the fight.
If we don't, nothing will ever change.
Running away accomplishes nothing.

@KKGator totally disagree that it is running away. It’s actually joining a new and different population, bringing more like minded people together, and leaving racist small town communities dwindling. If someone’s mental health is suffering by having to button your mouth daily and suffer insufferable people, take care of yourself and remove yourself from the toxic environment. Why should one person have to be the martyr in this racist community- it could make him isolated and even under threat. Definitely leave.

@Livia To each their own. To me, it's running away.
I believe in standing up to bullies and their bullshit.
Although, if an individual is incapable of doing that because they just don't have the intestinal fortitude to stay and fight, leaving is a reasonable alternative.
I'm just tired of seeing people throwing up their hands, giving up, and
moving away to be around those who are like-minded.
I don't really see them making that much headway toward fighting back against the religutards.
I just see it as finding people like you to talk about it with.
That's why I'm at this site, so I can talk to like-minded people WHILE
I'm fighting against the influence of religutards, trumptards, and morons,
in the real world.

@KKGator You can't change most Nazis. For your own sanity, it is best to join up with like minded people and fight against Nazism.

@daddy4pugs My sanity has always been questionable and has become completely irrelevant. Let the like-minded people find and join up with ME. I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to fight the disease right where I am. My sanity can take it. I'm NOT running away.

They will regret not being included in the development of their grandchildren as both my parents and in-laws were.

Marine Level 8 June 17, 2018

Look up Dunning Kruger Effect and just don't bother explaining reason to them. Nothing works.

Seen some very interesting women on this site in your area. Check out their posts and comments, message some that interest you and see what happens. Also check out Meet Up groups for non-believers in the St. Louis area. You have options dude.

I don't know how you live where you do. It sounds like a nightmare.

Tell people you're a Buddhist. That might pacify them for a minute or two.

They have religion privilege and hopefully it will be a thing of the past one day.

Their "religion privilege" will only become a thing of the past if we all fight against, wherever we are.
Why does everyone want to run away and hide?

Ha that is funny. I would guess that a majority of them don't even know what Buddhism is about.

@KKGator as I said it’s not running away, it’s leaving to join a bigger community to fight back and make real change happen.

@Livia I understand what you're saying, I'm just not seeing "real change" happening. All I'm seeing is more people gathering together to bitch about it and continuing to do nothing.

@KKGator Yes, there is truth in that, but that’s half because of protest going online, and half because many people still trust their long-standing institutions. “Checks and balances” they say. It’s blindness. There are no checks and balances to a despot. A despot will find legal and illegal ways to destroy any mechanism that challenges their authority. Finally, people will take to the streets. It’s a matter of when. There is a straw that breaks the camel’s back and the people will turn violently against authority and then sometimes each other. It’s an inevitable cycle seen over and over in “other people’s countries”. Many mainstream Americans don’t understand what is happening, but that’s because they aren’t well schooled in geography, sociology and history at high school or earlier, and the American media is not very good at global reporting. Trump is consolidating a dictatorship and his people are taking over all areas of government. Nothing is standing in his way. If he wins a second term there finally will be people pushing to oust him. I think even the military will turn against him. Hope you don’t think I am being preachy. I have a lecture style of writing- it’s the teacher in me!

@Livia No worries. I'm just saying I'm not going to be intimidated by anyone, and I'm going to take the fight to them.
I'm tired of waiting for others to catch up.

@KKGator ❤️ that answer. I am with that too.

@KKGator, @Livia Liberals loose elections because we are too concentrated in cities. After the 2016 election I moved from very blue Saint Louis County to very red St. Charles County to help turn it blue, or at least purple. Her family lives in rural Indiana. She moved to STL to "get away from those Shitheads". Yet she still would insist that they had to like me. She even wanted me to ask her step father for permission to date his step daughter. I refused. She is a 30 year old women who lives two states away. would I ask his permission?

It's a rough Trump loving country right now. It's scary if you think to much about it. I stick to my guns even though I try to keep my opinions about that nasty orange shit stain of a president to myself. I just hope the next 2 years goes by really fast. ?

They are working on roe v wade now. Sigh... we blew it in the 2014 midterms, and now we're boned.

The great lying Cheeto is really a mystery. Why anyone would support him when he is contradictory to their own benefit is difficult to understand. For the religious to support a clear sinner of biblical proportions (lying, cheating on wife, stealing) seems extremely hypocritical but for anyone who is poor or at least not rich with any sort of education is downright ridiculous. He has cheated small businesses all his life and is stealing money from the poor to give to the rich. The rich already have enough but the poor are really hurting! Why? But on top of that he is trying to ruin the environment for future generations. I know he's too old to care for himself but he has children and grandchildren who will be affected. What a freaking dumbass! Why in the name of all that is good can't these imbeciles see that?

Get the hell out of Missouri...coming from a NC native. The South takes a beating for having so many Cheeto supporters, but MO, OH, IN are as bad or worse. I'd say head to your most liberal large city, but I don't know of any in Missouri. Things are very different in cities of NC like Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte & Greensboro.

I jest of course, on my vote This idoit is as useless as tits on a banjo. The only thing is, we just can't ignore the ignorant bastard. Vote! No creo en Dios!

Sounds to me like the best solution would be to move before you get outed as an Atheist Liberal and thrown in jail!

that's some conundrum you have there, I'd be tempted to not have contact if possible and move somewhere friendlier to your beliefs

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:108318
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.