Agnostic.com

8 0

What is the worst argument that religionists use against atheists that gets your back up?

I'll tell you mine: "There are no atheists in a foxhole". Yes, of course, atheists are all cowards. I reply, "Well, there'll be no science skeptics if a comet or similar is heading to destroy the earth. You know your God won't do a damn thing, but you'll sure be hoping science will do something". BTW, I once saw a photo of group of US military personnel in Afghanistan holding a large sign which read something like - "Atheists in Foxholes". Very well done ladies and gentlemen, I thought.

David1955 8 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When people say "I'll pray for you" I always ask them not to threaten me. Like anyone really knows the unknowable. I used to be more tolerant in my youth when I wondered how it was that I alone could see religion for what it is, but now I feel like they have to be fakers or just unthinking and pay them no mind.

Christians and other religions have no right to lecture on morals. How many people have they murdered and tortured in the name of their God? Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, 1492, annihilation of native Americans, Jihad... the list goes on.

I am sorry for you. As if I care that they are sorry that I don't agree with them

Absolutely.

It's 'just' a theory.... grrrrrr!

What if you are wrong?
What if they are wrong? Says I

The worst "argument" is “Atheism is just another kind of faith.” Besides being false, it’s a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do.

The other "argument" is "Hitler/Stalin/Mao/Pol Pot were atheists, and that's why they murdered millions." No one ever killed anyone because they didn't believe in Zeus, Thor, Ra, etc.

"You'll kneel when you meet him." is one I've gotten a lot. I find it gross and condescending.

"You'll kneel when you meet him" is a veiled threat, not an argument. It's an appeal to emotion (fear) fallacy.

Reply: "I'll kneel to your god when I admit that fear defeats logic and reason."

@BaronSuru Exactly!

Fear does defeat logic and reason. Often.

"Fear does defeat logic and reason. Often."

Not for me. Furthermore, the reply is simply a message to the person threatening that his threat is nothing more than that.

@BaronSuru But it does. Not, perhaps on an individual level, but certainly on a societal level. This is one of the many points Foucault makes in "Discipline and Punish".

I think the most infuriating one is: ‘If you don’t believe in God then how are you moral? What stops you from stealing and killing people?‘.

Absolutely. That would high on my list too. I remember Hitchens at a debate one time expressing his outrage that religions, with their terrible track record, have any credibility with respect to setting a moral compass.

What prevents squirrels from killing each other?

No. Embrace this one. It's a gift to the irritated atheist. "So without a father figure looking over your shoulder you'd be a rapist and a murderer? That explains so much about the history of Christianity. Thanks."

I completely agree with you. It drive me mad as well!
The worst is been someone who told me "I will pray for your soul, so can be saved". I told her I was a volunteer on heart-quake area in Italy, I helped people always in my life as I could (and without earning money), so, probably my soul was safe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10889
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.