Agnostic.com

24 3

How often does it annoy you when people assume atheist don’t believe in anything at all?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Athiests believe in things. Just not their "god".

Good old George, I really miss him.

@TristanNuvo Funniest guy that ever lived!

@TheGreatShadow I agree, but I have to say that Jim Jeffries is a very close second.

I hate it when they think that I have no morals. Afterall, in their minds we only get our morals from God. Yes that same god that had no problems drowning millions

Not only do we believe in things..the things we believe in tend to be true real and tangible...

one of the best comments I've heard was in a discussion between Neil Degrass Tyson and Richard Dawkins where Neil said "I will never require you to belive
.anything"

What bothers me most of all, and what I have the most problems with is keeping my mouth shut. I have one friend who, and I'm not joking, ordered a "Spirit Box". Apparently that's supposed to monitor all of the radio waves or electronic static in his house and let him know if any ghosties are trying to contact him. It's just so for me to keep my mouth shut and to be complicit in that utter bullshit.

There was a time I used to believe in all that shit too. What cured me is that gods and all types of phenomena are supernatural. Nothing is supernatural. It means it's fake and there are many things you do not understand. OK, you say radio waves are invisible. So is daylight but it doesn't bring spirits or ghosties.

@DenoPenno what I don't get is that my friend is very bright and has a master's degree in business finance. He's not stupid. He actually told me on the phone that if I hear it for myself I'll understand. I told him it would probably have to do with the fact that they had pre-programmed it to play back some kind of ghostie type sounds.

@sassylassie1018 Hearing is not believing. Neither is seeing.

The question is a semantic mess, because the word 'believe' has several different meanings, such as:

I agree with (believe).

I think it's possible (believe).

It matches my own morality (believe).

I hold value in such and such (believe).

As soon as that so called religious person opens there mouth

Lol yes I agree! I’ve found myself avoiding people I know are super religious just for that reason.

The hatred and mistrust of atheists are part of the selling tactic that the religious use in Christian indoctrination. In order to keep people on the Christian path, they're never going to show atheism in a positive light.

I don't get annoyed by this. This is simple stuff i can go meh at....lol.

I believe in lots of things and yes, it does annoy me when religious dullards don't get it. But I don't think it's about faith or prayer or a belief in the afterlife -religion is really about the desire to make everyone 'the same'. Everyone worshiping the same deity, all reading the same holy book, all hating the same groups that differ. Religion isn't about God; it's dogma and conformity, pure and simple. That annoys me the most - the desire to turn people into sheep.

I don't believe in anything at all. ☺

What other people assume doesn't bother me at all. When people treat me badly due to their erroneous assumptions, that does aggravate me. How often does that happen? Not much for this particular reason. Mainly because it rarely comes up in ordinary conversation, and if it does, I usually set the record straight in vigorous terms, and then it isn't a problem anymore. ?

zeuser Level 9 June 17, 2018

if they think atheists don't believe in anything they're wrong. But it doesn't annoy me. We all have our opinions . I feel sad for them because they need a crutch to get through life. Life can be hard but I think we all(most) have our own inner strength to get us through.

Never

Coldo Level 8 June 17, 2018

I believe in a lot of things which are soundly proven, and am mature enough to say "it could be proven at a later date" about other things. And strong-minded enough to say, "here are a lot of things which I believe are false", based on reason and sound thought.

After all, in this life we have been placed on this Earth, with its natural laws all around us, and reason seems to be the most effective way of interacting with that. So we should follow reason, and let it lead us to inner peace and love.

Denker Level 7 June 17, 2018

I just tell them that they’re unbelievable.

It doesn't, just shows up their stupidity ?

I doesn't annoy me at all and no, I don't believe in anything. Last but not least, I am not in the bussines to sale my thought process, as I am not a potential customer to buy whatever beliefs someone else may want to sale.

Often

Marine Level 8 June 17, 2018

I went past annoyed to indifferent a long time ago.

Atheism is not a lack of belief in anything, it's a lack of belief in any deity. It's not even a lack of belief in Jesus specifically.

Theists love to gaslight atheists because to understand what atheism actually IS and atheists actually ARE atheists, they'd have to concede that atheism can be a considered position and that would oblige them to enter into a debate in the marketplace of ideas that they durst not participate in, because at some level they know they have NOTHING to support their asserted truth claims.

I find it just as annoying as just about all the other bullshit believers assume.
It's one of those "consider the source" things. I can't take anything those
people assume seriously.
They don't understand atheism. They can only fear it and make up bullshit
about it, because they fear it.

Most times they speak out of ignorance or are reciting what they are taught in church. It's an opportunity to teach someone the truth. Things like we have our own morality based from our own experience and that we don't eat babies. Show patience and compassion for their ignorance, just like how their religion says they should treat others... and usually don't. If you want others to respect Atheism then act respectable.

Why should it 'annoy' me?

A theist has absurd beliefs about his mythical sky-fairy, so why should it bother me AT ALL if he is equally absurd in his beliefs about me?

I hate when people assume Church of Satan or Temple of Satan, worships the so called devil. Any brains tells you they are Atheist

I'm pretty sure the Church of Satan doesn't believe in magic either. It's like theatrical roleplay. They don't believe in Satan or magic. I don't know about the Temple of Satan.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:108926
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.