Agnostic.com

27 10

What quote or saying do you find overused and/or complete BS?

One I see too often that bothers me is:

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

Well yes, I may have learned a lesson, but I don't feel like smiling about it. Especially at the beginning of the grieving process.

Stacey48 8 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

IN gawd WE TRUST I typed all caps IN WE TRUST and I insist the non-word god be spelled lower case

Let go and let god.....ad nauseum

"It is what it is." What the hell does that even MEAN? To me it says, "I'm not interested in your issue so I am going to summarily dismiss it and move on to something else." Anyone else have an interpretation of this phrase?

OH ** my MIL used to say that constantly after my FIL & dh died within 4 months of each other. She's such a C***!

@Stacey48 She's the most repressed individual I've ever known in my life, and she passed that onto her kids. Hurtful is her middle name.

@Qualia AND THAT'S THAT

I have always thought "It is what it is" to mean whatever the situation, it cannot be changed or understood but needs to be accepted or rejected but to just move on with life. Something like "Don't sweat the small stuff". Not very clear thought but the best I could come up with on the moment.

"Thoughts and prayers"

I'm not going to quote anything too profound..because if anything this quote or saying is childish..as is my reaction to it..

Turn that frown upside down! (Not sure if this counts?)

I don't know why..

I just grates on me...

@Stacey48

You are one of the few people I would pardon for that particular transgression..
As long as you didn't grab my cheeks and physically manipulate my frown into an involuntary grin. Then it's discipline.

@Stacey48. I fear it would madame, and would blush your cheeks. ?
But fear not, I would turn that frown upside down.

@Stacey48 Oh my..Im really laughing out loud now..hard to type..just thinking of narrating nature programmes out loud with your own commentary...so funny trying to narrate that..sorrh laughing..bit giddy oh dear

@Stacey48

Yes it is..,I'm guessing it can be used to hilarious effect in scenarios other than TV...thats what made me giggle so much ...further study is required. ?

'You can't love someone if you don't love yourself.' Bullshit. I love other people all the time, including loving them enough to let them go. This tired aphorism is just a slap in the face to people with mental illnesses, especially depression.

Same with the trust saying "If there isn't trust there isn't love". Uhm, that's dumb as hell.... I love my dog to pieces but don't trust he won't do certain things under the right circumstances. LOL
Same with lions. Maybe you could come to love one personally, but you gonna stick your head in its mouth? LOL Duhr

I love my kid to the moon and back but don't trust that despite what a great kid she is, that she isn't going to hide something from me.... "Oh btw, xyz has been hurting"
Me: "for how long?!!!!"
Her: "uhm, a week"
Me. WTF!!!!!!

This one bothers me so much. I'm doomed to solitude. And love is reserved to sociopaths, narcissists, and the self-deluded.

“Blood is thicker than water.” Is entirely misquoted. It originally said “the blood of oath is thicker than the water of birth” which completely reverses the meaning. It’s meant to revere your spouse and friendships that you got to choose. Not the family you were born into.

It is what it is.

No shit.
If it wasn't what it is...oh never mind.

Agamic Level 6 June 19, 2018

Also, anytime they use a percentage above 100% it's offensive to me.
You just can't have more than "everything you have (100%)".
What they mean is (instead of say, 200%) is 2 times the amount.
Big difference.

"What goes around, comes around"

I catch myself using it, and a few of these from time to time. I usually stop myself and shake my head.

@Donotbelieve I couldnt agree more. Although, admittedly it is funny when people use them incorrectly or out of context.

@Donotbelieve hahaha yes I do. I approve.

Anyone who throws bible verses at me.

Al Franken wrote a great book called "All the Things I know" that skewers a ton of these idiotic sayings. E.g. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". LOL ❤ AL. ..

Qualia Level 8 June 18, 2018

@Donotbelieve it's awesome. I'd reread it but it's buried in the house somewhere, amongst the 1000s of others. (we have some house with our books)

@Donotbelieve and I'm sick to death of re-buying things because they're lost. (has TWO philip gruenigs in this house because of t hat crap! A vintage spendy book on dobermans)

@Donotbelieve Thanks 🙂 I don't think I've seen it since we moved into this house 12 years ago, so it's probably in a box, because I KNOW I wouldn't have tossed it. LOL

@Qualia do you hope for more book readers to come into your life and archive your books into more ready assemblage ? I have3-5 copies of many books like Mark Twain and Frederick Douglass that are rescued from my totes, boxes inside the armchairs under the water bed. ....

" Go fuck yourself ". I mean, who can do that ? Beside being BS it is meaningless.

The point is that you should at least try it...

Endeavour to persevere!!

@Stacey48
Yeah, I must be one of them ?

@Hitchens
Nope, I am not a contortionist, might hurt myself ?

@VAL3941

???

@Hitchens
You think thats funny ? You want me to hurt myself ? LOl

@VAL3941

No..Go fuck yourself!...???♿?⚠️?

@Hitchens
OK! I will send the hopital bills to you ! LOL

@VAL3941 I'll pay all your Hospital ER Trauma bills...all your out-patient bills..your rehab bills..any reconstructive cosmetic bills...

But there is no way I am paying for your Physchologists bills..even I couldn't afford those.....???

I like that one. I can't say that I've said it directly to somebody, but I have thought it. 🙂

@Hitchens
Then you will have to pay my lawyers fees as well ! LOL

@BlueWave
Try it some day !

@VAL3941

???????????????

@Hitchens
Now you talkjng my language ?

"Asking for a friend." Why the need for subterfuge? Ask your question and move on.

Not exactly on topic but when you go to a service person and instead of saying "please sign here" or "please take the groceries out of the basket" etc they say "I'll just get you to sign here" or "I'll just get you to ..." well you get the idea. There is no please or thank you, just demands. The whole concept of being polite is completely lost.

@Stacey48 Amen to that. Ha

At the end of the day

I had to laugh as this is one thing I tend to say often.

I feel your pain.

The most annoying expression uttered by hard-core Catholics:

Offer it up.

MikeEC Level 7 June 18, 2018

Time heals all wounds.

Things always get better.

Tomorrow will be better

Marine Level 8 June 18, 2018

Anything the Orange Douchebag says,

While I do agree with your sentiment I do not condone your choice of vocabulary.

@Aquaeyes I was being nice.

Ah yes, where to start.

It's God's will.

"Trust your gut."
"Don't second guess yourself."
They're often incompatible.

Anything overused really

110 Percent... or "Outside the box."
If you have to use the term, "outside the box," perhaps it's time for you to rethink your relationship to 'said box.'

"I'm Blessed". I'm not religious but even I think your God has better things to do than "bless you" with a deal on turkey or a good parking spot.

I have a friend who is ALWAYS telling me that God did this or that for her or for her family. Once, in frustration, I said to her, "I'm waiting for you to tell me someday that God brought you a new flatware pattern!" She was NOT amused.

@citronella I've taken to posting on political blogs, in response to "thoughts and prayers" whenever some rightwinger gets hurt, "don't say that, God clearly wanted to punish this" person or area.

@RonWilliam53 OOOOOOH I bet those folks are pissed off at YOU.

No sense crying over spilled milk

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:109899
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.