Agnostic.com

20 1

What are your favorite religious songs?

What are your favorite religious songs. I'm 99.99999% sure Christianity is nonsense, but I still enjoy listening to:

Spirit in the Sky:

and:

Down to the River To Pray:

What are your favorites?

BD66 8 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I sang in the church choir as a child. Loved doing "The Messiah" with the adult choir at holiday time, such powerful harmony! My favorite hymn was an obscure one starting, "Once to every man and nation, comes a moment to decide......" which spoke to me very deeply then & now. Not even melodic! Others found it disturbing

Glen Campbell....."A Few Good Men".......

jasen Level 8 Nov 1, 2017

Amazing grace

Jerusalem, the music is so powerful and emotional.

Imagine Me by Kirk Franklin

Never Would Have Made It by Marvin Sapp

Oh yes, I often rock out to "Jesus Christ Superstar" and Handel's "Messiah". It's cool.

Harri Level 1 Oct 27, 2017

How he loves by David crowder band

First, let's clear something up here. Music is music, regardless of its origin and/or purpose. I have rather eclectic musical tastes and am moved by all sorts of things. When it comes to religiously oriented music, here's my list:

Everything in the Manheim Steamroller Christmas album

"Hallelujah" (the shrek version) always gets me and "Mary did you know" and "Oh holy night" all very religious songs but to this day still give me chills

"Find a Girl with those Far Away Eyes"

That is a good song. I find it amazing how many religious songs my family and I know, considering how NON-religious we are 🙂

I was a christian for 28 years. ALL I listened to for 15 of those was religious. I was a huge fan of Casting Crowns, Mercy Me and Lauren Daigle.

I love Allison Krause and Union Station. She's got a beautiful voice, plays fiddle well, and they do great harmonies and melodies. They also have the best dobro player alive, according to many people - Jerry Douglas. They cover other spiritual material, as their roots are Bluegrass, which is historically intertwined with Gospel. This song is about doubt.

Her voice soooths me

"God'll Fuck You Up."

I was going to post that one, but you beat me to it!

It's far more honest than "Jesus Loves the Little Children."

There is a wealth of religious music and religous oriented music. I love O Happy Day, Gospel music is so soulful and spiritual. The Rock Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar.is noteworthy. Gregorian Chant is not only beautiful but mystical. Early Christmas music is eternally enjoyable, year after year. Folk music in the Catholic Church from the 70's on was highly spiritual, hopeful and joyful. I have many favorites. I can say while I never fully understood the ritualism of church services I always loved how the music touched me deeply.

SamL Level 7 Oct 9, 2017

does an atheist song about religion count, Saved by Shelly Segal

I love Christmas Carols. They remind me of my childhood. My late Mom loved Christmas and always hosted the family party baking hundreds of cookies and other goodies. At the party, my late Grandma would play the piano as the whole family gathered around. Then my dad would take us all out caroling to the neighbors' and to the local "old folks' home." It is not about their religious meaning but about the love of family they represent to me.

AmyU Level 2 Oct 9, 2017

Plastic Jesus. The Cool Hand Luke version, not the Reverend Billy Sol Hargis version.

None. The lyrics are rage inducing.

My favorite? Oh, come all ye faithful.
A close second- I'm dreaming of a white christmas.
Now hold on...the last one I think is very, very funny when sung by christians. It does NOT mean anything that one would consider anti-PC.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1103
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.