Agnostic.com

37 4

What is your best argument against Christianity

I believe the infallibility of the bible is usually my best. The immorality of so much of it goes against all I know to be true...

River-david 5 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religions of all kinds have been used to control the masses and to elevate people to power. History is proof that most horrific events have had a religious cry behind them. Christianity is one of the worst.

@Matias You assume that horrific only means war...there are other horrific events, including the way women are treated, how the poor are treated, etc. etc. War is not the only guideline in history...social ramifications should be included as well.

@Matias I have not forgotten...I have taken history and social movements into account in my decision to leave my religion behind. I am not against the teachings of most religions...the things like social justice, kindness to man, etc. All of the major religions (and even the minor ones) have some version of the Golden Rule. What I oppose is the use of those religions for purposes meant to enslave others but taking away their power to be analytical and think on their own without some overlord called "god"...I do recognize the need for religion through the ages...many "rules" were set up to teach and prevent health disasters, etc. It is the abuse of religion teachings and the continued pitting of one against the other that I found abhorrent. There are good people who will do good things...religion or not...I am in the latter group.

There is no evidence, facts or data that god(s) exist and reality, nature and the universe works as if no god(s) exist.

Jesus cannot be the old testiment prophesied Messiah. The old testiment says the Messiah must come from the direct lineage from King David. Jesus doesn't fit that decription. The new testiment goes to great lengths to show the lineage of King David down to Joseph. BUT if you want to believe that Mary was a virgin, which is another requirement, then Jesus doesn't carry any DNA from Joseph and thus cannot be the Messiah.

Wow that got my mind going.thanks

It does not work. Even christians know this thats why they don't really follow it. No one turns the other cheek or forgives everyone. The first gives power to people that should not have it and the second does as well.

(Speaking for myself here) Why do I have to have one?

I guess you don't. I tend to be open about my disbelief and find myself defending my opinions, I could just walk away and sometimes I wish I had.

@River-david that's my point. I don't feel any desire to convince or be convinced, neither to discuss religion with no one. That way, as you have pointed out, I don't have to regret ever wishing that I had just walk away.

The photo says it all.

Funny

@SmileNYC10023
Accurate

That the Bible contains so many atrocities and contradictions that it takes contorted logic and improbable conjecture to try and reconcile them.

If God is all knowing and all seeing, how did he not forsee long before he made humans that they'd disappoint him and he'd have to flood the world and kill them?

If god is perfect and doesn't make mistakes why does he admit he made a mistake when he flooded the earth?

Where did the ladies from the land of nod come from if Adam and eve and their children were the only humans on earth?

If God is all knowing then he already knew Adam and eve would eat the fruit, and he let them do it. He punished them for a crime he knew long before they existed, and didn't do anything to prevent the crime from taking place, then he enabled it. God did entrapment. He set them up for failure.

All Valid questions

And if he had to flood the earth why does every science out there show he didn't.

Christians

Lol

I'm just not capable of making the number of assumptions required to conclude that there is a god, let alone the additional ones needed to assert any specific one.

mt49er Level 7 June 19, 2018

I don't believe that the schizophrenic mortal hippie named Jesus, who's teachings I value, would approve of what is now called Christianity or any other .

If your god is so powerful and exists then why does he need you to speak on his behalf?

ALL is evil, and the bible is nothing but poorly-written fiction.

There are so many creation myths in the world, the one more inventive than the next. But why should the Judeo-Christian one turn out to be true? I'm sure they all have their true believers and many have holy books, those are not arguments in favour.

Denker Level 7 June 20, 2018

My biggest argument against it is Christianity itself

I never argue with a "true believer".
You cannot argue against belief, only against facts.

My biggest Argument with it is the whole you need to be Saved crap,Oh really Saved from what exactly not attaining eternal life?, so if we all beileved that, and we are all eternally saved , my question is well hell then what, they are never any answers to any of that!! Its all spooky language designed to scare people into beileving that if they don't give their life to this God they're soul will parish, its called mind control ! And also most religions make you basically feel guilty for just being alive and among the living, anything related to fun happens to be in religions eyes a sin! Im forever the debater on religion, its the number reason why i don't get along with it!

Right on man isn't this life enough, as long as one lives it and doesn't hide from it!

@River-david absolutely right David

Written thru the Hearts, Minds, Hopes and Fears of 4 ILLITERATE FISHERMAN. Go Figure and then its transcribed another 200 years or more before its embellished and written in a Language that no one could read. These facts have been historically proven, documented and examined for centuries by Scholars and Scientists. Over 5000 known mistakes grammatically, historically and in the transcription. Google Bart Ehrman.

We don't need a book to be good

The entire premise is flawed. If god required a sacrifice to "redeem" mankind I do not see how it could possibly be embodied in the crucifixion of Jesus as he did not give up anything other than a few days and a fleshly body.

It is nothing more than a con game selling a cure for an imaginary illness.

I don’t believe in a God that blesses people randomly per their claim and lets others suffer so badly. Example: A former friend prayed for a Cadillac and her mom gave her hers and she thanked God for it. So she gets a Cadillac and millions of Syrians have no home and are suffering in the worst way. I don’t like your god.

Just as you know, her Mom was the reason she got the car. Not god.
And Assad is responsible for the atrocities in Syria, not god.
I think this god was invented to be the fall guy!

Prove it

Prove it.

BTW..Saved from what exactly??

That's pretty bleak Those are also very human qualities assigned to God..arrogance, superiority, injustice, favoritism etc.. I don't buy any of it! Another bunch of man made dogma!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:110699
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.