Agnostic.com

15 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for sharing more info about essay

If it makes them feel better, who cares. It is way less harmful than religion. Have you ever heard of the great 'Astrology Wars?' Neither have l.

I know people like this. It's ridiculous. It's almost unbelievable to me that there are people out there that believe in Astrology 100%. Then again, most people eat up religion.

I think not.(I lean more towards the Oracle at Delphi)

I would like to see a study of the different personality types attributed to the various "signs" so as to put the issue to bed. People are too quick to dismiss the claimed personality types as being able to fit those who are not of that sign. Do some objective studies first, then dismiss. That is not to say that there is any evidence that the posistion of the planets determine personality.

It deserves no respect at all. They should be ridiculed for believing such nonsense. Con artists use such beliefs to take people's money. The fewer number of people who believe in it, the better. And peer pressure works. So, we should continue to look down on those that purport that it is something real. Even "for entertainment purposes" should be looked down upon. That just enables the believers.

Havent the planets moved since it was invented so its all wrong and out of sync !

Simon1 Level 7 June 20, 2018

The Earth itself precesses so that we are now entering the age of Aquarius but the planets themselves have not moved.

[en.wikipedia.org]

@marmot84 i thought the galaxies where found to moving aswell not fixed in the same place ?

@Simon1 Everything is moving and quite fast! The thing is these things are all very very far away. Even when moving fast we don't see much motion in our sky. The stars orbit the Milky Way and they have changed their positions only slightly since ancient times but only just enough to be noticeable by precession measurements. The galaxies are moving even faster but are much farther away.

Stuff that is much closer (the moon, the sun and the planets) move much more quickly in our skies (apparent motion) - thus the ancients thought this must somehow be significant to their lives, hence Astrology.

In Astronomy today we will even sometimes refer to the stars as "fixed." I teach Astronomy at the college level. It is not unusual for me to say something like "the motion of Mars relative to the fixed stars..." By this I only mean that stars are apparently "fixed" because they move very little in our skies even over the course of an entire human lifetime and more.

While astrology has a firm place in recorded history as the precursor to modern astronomy it worries me that people advocate it without the firm disclaimer that it is for entertainment only.

I’m okay with people finding some entertainment value in horoscopes, but it’s disappointing to see them being taken seriously. It’s a sad commentary that the astrology section of the local bookstore is bigger than the science section.

Not sure about 'retrograde'. Sounds more like her mercury's in 7th grade. Sure, I read my horoscope from time to time, but in the Onion, so I know it can be trusted!

It's hard to imagine a mature, educated adult taking astrology seriously. Thats what the enlightenment was about 300 years ago...
Science and reason folks!

The New York Times is full of s h i t e.

Anything to pull our attention away from our politicians and our corrupt system it seems. The fact Pluto has been demoted from planet status means nothing to them.

Pluto should have been demoted - just saying. I firmly agree with the International Astronomical Union on that one.

I read the article and the gist is “Hey, if a belief makes people feel better, it’s wrong to question it." You know thats how I felt when I became a white supremacist. Before that I was full of liberal guilt and angst. now I just blame everyone else and I feel great.
Standards must have really dropped if the NYT is publishing sophistry like this.

Ordinary citizen calls for more proof...

Let's have a unicorn quest, or help search for the great pumpkin. I'm tired of nonsense.

EdEarl Level 8 June 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:111112
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.