Agnostic.com

10 2

God’s preferred team

Athletes thanking god for helping their team win: Only mildly ridiculous or incredibly ridiculous?

Laboratorian 4 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They are indoctrinated at their churches. They carry it with them to the Football Fields, Basketball Courts, and Baeball diamonds. mildly ridiculous.

It's an excellent opportunity for us to bring the losing teams to our point of view. I mean, God shafted them good in the finals!

Athletes are so humble. Their humility just make me cry. Ha ha ha.

I never understood how many did this. You’re thankful for a game or wedding or something like that, but totally ignore the fact this world is still messed up with the millions of kids starving and dying of cancer that God would care enough about your wedding or a game. I’ve always said prayer was selfish.

Clearly the Patriots. Just sayin'....

Hi Derry, NH member

Very egotistical to think that if their was such a being, he would give a runny rats about some game.

Athletes and insurance companies. They've got gods phone number and its a special private company so we don't get it.
So a little bit nutty.

To anyone who thanks God for something as trivial as winning an athletic competition: what makes you more deserving than the starving kids in Africa and around the world?

In other words, not only ridiculous but arrogant

I could have not said it better myself.

Quite ridiculous. How about blessing troops, or even worse, the weapons as you go to war? Mind you, I do understand the sentiment: "Thank God we beat that Hitler thing."

Mildly ridiculous, in my opinion. It's almost rhetorical, it seems, like it's just expected that anyone who wins something needs to give props to the big G-man. I think it's silly, but no more so than the people who say someone going through a tough time is in their prayers. It's largely meaningless and I think is more a result of social influence than it's a significant influence on society. (I don't watch sports much, though, so maybe I'm wrong about how influential this pseudo-religiosity is.)

What bugs me even more are the ones that thank God after a hard working scientists and doctor was really the one deserving of acknowledgment and support, and the God lovers will turn around and say,” God did it.” How dare those ungrateful little ingrates.

@EmeraldJewel Yep, that happens a lot. It's sad that people can't think outside of that box, especially considering the contradictions between notions of free will and God's plan. If people have free will, then they can be credited with their own actions; if God is behind whatever good is done, then we don't freely choose our actions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11242
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.