Agnostic.com

14 4

Do you de-clutter or load-shed before a year ends?

Do you de-clutter or load-shed before a year ends and a new one begins?

I do, kind of a material and emotional cleanup. Includes cleaning hard disks of redundant files.

Maya405 7 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a good idea i should do this, like a good deep spring cleaning but as part of my new year reflection

I just do it when my mess starts to irritate me

I like that attitude.

It can be whenever, or sometimes never.

I stayed late at work tonight to make sure all my stuff was up to date, all my emails answered and filed, all my phone calls documented and returned if necessary, all my outgoing payments released, all my documentation for the day done and everything spiffy. If I die this weekend my coworkers won't find a mess, My house on the other hand needs several days of work, and that is likely going to wait until I retire or move, and the retirement better happen first.

@HippieChick58, that's amazing...

Like clockwork - every ten years. Whether it needs it or not!

skado Level 9 Dec 29, 2017

Every ten years?

Ha, haa. We need to learn from you @skado.

Once in a while the dead wood has to go weather it's a friend or an old bit of furniture

What needs to go, needs to go...

Indeed

Yes, I find it very therapeutic. If I have not used it in the last year, the chances of me doing so in the new year are slim. Holding on to possessions is not about keeping memories for me. I don't keep photos or old birthday cards, old memories are a part of who I am today, so I prefer to create rather than hold on to.

You say it very well, thanks.

My son and I bought a place jointly almost 5 years ago, so 2 households into one. Unpacked in urgency putting boxes aside in spare rooms. All the extra furniture. appliances etc. We loaned a lot out, spare fridge, washing machine, microwave and so forth, but they keep coming back. Have donated much to charity, but it takes time to sort it all. We are ruthless now, anything we haven't needed in 4 years is not worth keeping. We do have a few drawers full of hard drives removed from computers. We try to avoid just dumping things that will end up in landfill, we repair and donate the older computers, thrift shop gets most of the clothing, what they don't use gets washed and sent to the Pacific Islands. We are still very cluttered though, shows the state of my mind.

That's a big operation. Good luck.

I used to, but lately, actually resting when off from work has been winning out.

Zster Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

A level of clutter can be comforting.

I've been paring down belongings for a few years now.

I think I really got the message after my Mom died, and I helped sort through all her stuff ...damn.

Most of us have way too much stuff , that we don't need, and/or rarely use. And whatever we do own , owns us back ! It requires something from us. Sometimes payments. We might need to insure it, or dust it, or maintain it, or feed it, or make space for it. It's never a one way deal.

So I'm in purge mode, and still have a ways to go. Each item re-homed feels awesome !

Purge mode can sometimes serve really well.

This is an ongoing process. Not just because of a new year but because I like updating things, getting rid of old shit I don't need or use anymore & it helps me keep organized. I feel its a good thing for the mind and body both.

Yes, i agree, it's an ongoing process.

I tend to de-clutter the same way that I clean the kicthen as I cook; a bit here and there as needed, as I go 🙂

You are wise.

@Maya405 you are kind

I should de-clutter. Will I? Your guess is as good as mine lol?

same here... maybe, maybe not

Between here and beyond.

Nope. I just tend to leave the clutter. Every time I throw something away, I need it within a week.

In that case, you need everything you have.

But all the stuff I keep, I never use. 🙂 Can't win for loosing.

So insensitive, @TommyMeador, what will all the stuff be saying about you?

It would be saying that I have a very wide range of interests and that I tend to be a pack rat.

I try... 🙂

Good luck.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11351
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.