Agnostic.com

36 1

Are you 100% certain that there is no god?

So I just signed up on here and as I was filling out my profile, It asks "to what percent are you certain that there are no gods" to which I (as an atheist) initially thought 100%. However, I answered 99.9 because I feel that to be so unconditionally sure about something can only really come from faith based reasoning. So I feel the need to leave a tiny bit of wiggle room because I am a logical thinker and will also feel some level of skepticism. What do the rest of you heathens think about this?

RoboGraham 8 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Over and over and over and over......Ok, I'm gonna give it a go. God DOES exist, and so does Superman, and Santa Claus! They ALL exist as human constructs endowed with human traits.Yes, ALL GODS ARE REAL AND EXIST AS HUMAN CONSTRUCTS JUST LIKE SUPERMAN AND SANTA CLAUS, and fairies, elves, witches, leprechauns and that most illusive, never obtainable good cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I am certain the Abrahamic god does not exist. I am not certain there are no gods. I see no evidence of them, so I conclude that they are unlikely. I see evidence against the Abrahamic faiths, so I conclude such a god must not exist.

@atheist It is up to any individual. Personally, beyond the harm caused by many religions, I see no point in certainty that no gods exist. If some "god" created our universe, it either has no interest in us or no power to interact with us, it would seem. So worship would be pointless and unnecessary. The existence of such a being would be of no consequence.

If there are gods, they do not matter. If there are not, this does not matter. All that matters is disproving the harmful gods.

Look I thought about that question too. It is problematic. Actually, it's a redundant question. Atheists don't have to indicate how certain we are that there is no God. It's up to theists to prove that there is one. What I am 100% certain of is that there is no evidence to prove a God. In the same way I don't have to say that I am 100% certain that there are no fairies; I can say that I am 100% certain that no evidence exists to prove their existence. Got some proof of fairies? Show me. Same thing for God.

@DangerDave I read your reply a couple of times but still couldn't get your point. The point I made was one often made by atheists that belief in any unproven assertion requires evidence. Your beef seems to be with what you call "fundamentalist atheists" - a subjective term I don't recognise. Nor am I aware of "apathetic agnostics". Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

If any being can violate laws of existence on a whim, there are no laws of existence, therefore the existence of a god would remove all meaning and reason from reality.

If someone could hurl lightning bolts at a whim and summon storms, that wouldn’t mean we were wrong about our understanding of weather. That would mean weather could never be understood because it wasn’t governed by laws. To this day, we cannot predict earthquakes and they seem to happen at whim. If there is room for god, it is in earthquakes, but if I told you “earthquakes therefore god” you’d probably write me off.

That is the thinking I extend to every facet. It is not a belief, but a conclusion from a logical postulate- “a thing suggested or assumed as true as the basis for reasoning, discussion, or belief.” Many people say that it takes faith or belief to say with 100% that there is no god, but that’s not true at all. I postulate that “if a consciousness can violate laws at will, they are not laws”. From that I conclude there is no god. Can you attack my postulate? If an entity can violate the laws of gravity at will, can there be laws of gravity?

I am at the 99.99999... and concur with Mark Twain: "If there is a God, he is a malign thug."

The odds in Vegas that there is no God is 4:1

LOL!

There is also the issue of what a "god" actually is can be ambiguous. I can say with 100% certainty that I do not believe in the christian/islamic/jewish etc. god but when people say that god is nature or god is the great beyond or god is something really complex that we haven't even discovered yet, well then it gets a bit more complicated. However, I think that calling these big picture things "god" is really just a way for skeptical yet spiritual people to let go of tradition religion without taking that final scary step of admitting that there is no higher power.

I think a belief in god is faith, and i have absolutely no faith that there is an actual god.

I am a 100 percenter -- and proudly so!

Without a clear idea of what is meant by "God," I cannot adequately address the question. If we're talking about some specific gods, like Yahweh, I reject the concept 100%. The more I know about the history of a religion and the development of its gods or God, the more unlikely I consider the proposition. In the case of Yahweh, the polytheistic origin from earlier cultures from which the Hebrews borrowed their concept of God, to see the change from polytheism to monotheism, to track the changes biblically, leave no doubt in my mind that Yahweh doesn't exist. Other concepts of God would need to be reviewed individually.

There is or there isn't so there isnt

I had it at 99.99 in a good scientific manner... On the other hand, every little thing, the defence for it is being knocked down as fast as an undetermined persons new years resolution. But rather than waste my energy on doubt I just go with exploring the other options which are more interesting. Right? I'm not a scientist but that is the biggest if you sleep my daughter you better marry her or she'll die of shaming... and stones. That's not a pleasant individual with countless crimes to be tried for.

Define God. If your definition of God is self contradictory, I am certain that that concept of God doesn't exist.

I may not be 100% certain that there are no gods, but I am 100% certain there is not enough evidence to convince me that a god or gods do exist.

I put 99.99 percent and it's the reason I consider myself agnostic and not an atheist. I just can't believe that anything doesn't exist somewhere without proof even if I think the chances of the Christian god being real is the same as a black whole opening up in my front yard and sucking me into a place where Game of Thrones is real life.

I am 100% certain that there are no gods and all religion is a scam. I base this certainty on years of personal observation and the complete lack of credible, verifiable evidence of the existence of any gods.

I raised my 75% rating to 90% leaving "wiggle room" if somehow something happens when tRUMP has his hand on the switch which when presssed will hasten the end of the world as we know it.

I'm 100% sure that the god I was raised to believe in doesn't exist. There are so many definitions of god that there may exist, some god that I haven't heard about, but I'm pretty sure at this point that I have no interest in it, if it does exist.

There have been thousands upon thousands of gods in the past. None of them were real. More than 3,000 gods are worshipped today and the same number of them are real as there were in the past.

You know I have experience what some would call God. But it was more of a field, a blanket of love. But I couldn't imagine that field to be a guy. And the more you read into the Bible, an when you study the trickster phenomenon, you start to see a connection.

I don't see how anyone can know or not know. But let's say, for a minute, that there is. Well that would be pretty amazing but what difference would it actually make? Let's say its the abrahamic god. It made the entire universe, all the planets, everything. Would it really be that concerned if something as insignificant as me didn't pay it the appropriate amount of respect?
So (and I get this idea from Buddhism 🙂 ) you can't know so why waste your time worrying about it? Far better to use the time you have on things you can know and have some benefit from. Such as being a good person -good for you, good for everyone else. Possibly good for god but who knows? 😉

Oh Hell Yeah!!!

100% is close enough.
The residual probability of any of the gods humans have invented to actually exist (and not just in the sense of an idea invented by humans) is so close to zero that it can be treated like 0 for all practical purposes.
In other words, your 0.1% look incredibly huge to me!

100% sure that there is no Abrahamic / monotheistic god. Do things exist that we can't yet perceive, sure. Are there beings superior to us in the universe? I hope so.

If there is a god, they are a kid and we are an ant farm...

I input 95%....because IT could be called different names, we just do not understand yet

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11461
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.