Agnostic.com

10 5

This site is very exciting. I've been concerned for many years that religion less people have not had a platform for discussion. In the last census 19% of the US population was listed at not religious. We're by far the largest minority that does not have a lobby in congress. I would very much like to see this changed.

Boxes 3 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The problem is that “non-religious” does not have a unified set of beliefs. Many of those are people who believe in a god but don’t ascribe to any particular set of religious beliefs. And by nature of being people who question and challenge what we are told to believe, this group is not going to simply accept a unified set of beliefs. The one thing I would expect is common to most (probably not all) people who identify as non-religious is the desire to not have religion used as the basis of law or otherwise imposed on us.

I thought it was very exciting when obama included unbelievers in his inaugural speech. since then not a peep except from michelle. I hope she runs and bernie as vp. should be good viewing !

id just keep hoping more people stop all this nonsense. don't need a lobby as majority rules.

Well, we have the Freedom from Religion Foundation, but they haven't exactly been helping the cause. When they do get any press, they typically come off as just obnoxious. Right as they may be, and biased and opportunistic as the media may be when covering their activities, we need to be more tactful if we're to change hearts and minds, not just enforce secular principles and laws.

It's been too easy for the religious right to claim there's a war on religion. Arguably, it is we who have been more consistently persecuted and mischaracterized than any religious group in modern history. For starters, we're not a religious group at all, but i digress.

We need to proceed with love and concern for all humanity, nor just our personal rights. 19% is great, but there are many more with doubts and thoughtful, open minds, who might honor our cause and even join if we're seen as the victims we are and not just a bunch of angry, elitist, disgruntled, fanatical snobs waging war on others freedoms and ideologies. We are rational, caring people, and we have truth and science on our side. The damage done by centuries of religious rule cannot be denied. We can do this!

To be clear, I support the FFRF's efforts, just as I support the efforts of the Church of Satan. Both validly strive to put Christians in their place, but can come off as provocative and polarizing. I want to figure out how we gain the sympathy and support of all those who feel threatened by us. How do we cut through the prejudice and fear and hate?

Perhaps it's time for an atheist sitcom. Will and Grace style. A dopishly sympathetic evangelical is forced to share an apartment with an astute agnostic astronomer and an unlikely friendship unfolds. Featuring the lovably obnoxious next door neighbor Pan the goat-god.

Things are improving in Oz, as of 2016,
52% Christian
2.6% Islam
2.4% Buddhist
30% not religious.
But I am not allowed to say that of the terror incidents here including all attempts,
0% Christian
0% Buddhist
0% Atheist
100% Islam. oops, now the do gooders and PC cops will come and get me and accuse me of racism. A cult, superstition or religion, all same thing, is not a race, there is no such thing as race.

what would you lobby for as an atheist?

I'd lobby to start taxing churches, to get the bible out of public school UNLESS equal time and treatment is given to all religions and they are taught as literature or social studies. Those are for starters.

@HippieChick58 In my 26+ years as a teacher in the NYC Public School System I never saw the Boble being impossed on the students....not even mentioned.

@DUCHESSA check out Kentucky for one

@btroje U said "in NYC"....I never said it doesn't happen. OK?

@DUCHESSA It should read "I said...."

@DUCHESSA not a big deal

I agree with the sentiment, but wonder if we need to wait until the evangelicals embarrass themselves with the support of Trump, -- and , in the meantime, finding other ways to exert influence.

that's 78 million people, mostly in the wealthiest part of the states . you are right. HOW do you not have yourselves represented properly? I know : APATHY !! or do you profit from the rest's ignorance [ army recruits, menial job takers, bottom dwellers of financial scams]

Good idea. Maybe some of our Humanist members can point us in the right direction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11583
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.