Agnostic.com

13 5

I have a fun (if you don't mind awkward) social experiment. The next time you sneeze in a public place, if someone says "bless you", casually reply with "no thanks".

I'm not sure about where you live, but in Tulsa, OK, you get a sideways glance just for saying "salud" or "gesundheight", but after this exchange I've found some interesting responses.

1. Anger (from an obviously religious person) - not that interesting
  2. Confusion (from someone who just says it without thinking) - if they engage the idea, follow up with something like "I don't really need a blessing, but if you have a tissue I would appreciate it"
  3. Smirk/smile - this is obviously someone I can relate to.
glester84 3 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmmm I’m not to sure I’d want to do it here in Oklahoma. I want to live.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 16, 2018

If someone sneezes more than three times, I joke that I've only got one more blessing left, and after that, they'll have to put them on back-order.

I once had a sneezing episode ( fit) whilst waiting to cross a busy road, a voice behind me said out loud "God Bless you my son.
I turned around to see a Catholic Priest standing behind he in full regalia so my response ( which just popped into my head for some unknown reason) was simply, "Aha, I thought so, I have an allergy to religion, it gives me terrible hay-fever."

I've gotten away from saying anything when someone else sneezes.

But if I get blessed when I sneeze, I've said "it's ok, no devils here", and smile.
I'd say only a portion of folks get it...

I do that with my students, if they say "bless you" I say, "No thanks, I'm good." I did almost tell on myself one time though. A student asked me if "sometimes god answers prayers." I responded with, "It's simply a mathematical coincidence".
The kid then asked if I was an Atheist. Considering that I was in a position to quickly keep moving, I simply didn't respond.

How about, "If you're sick, stay home!"

I am from Latvia but speak russian,people saying hare 'be healthy' if I translate it from russian. It was ok in our family to say it if someone sneeze

In response, I like to go up to them, cast sideways glances in both directions, looked completely shocked and whisper "You can SEE me?"

In the Appalachian area I came from the typical response is "scat there". The common belief being that when you sneeze, an evil sprite or demon is being expelled and the phrase is tell the entity to scat or get out of here.

That. Is. Bonkers.

Yeah, I've found this to be a losing proposal. Had tried years ago out of curiosity, also because I found it offensive, people presuming I'm Christian. The bulk of the reactions are pissed / confused, not worth the hassle. I've come to accept it as a cultural / societal norm. However, I still always say 'gesundheight' instead, as this technically means "to your health." That makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing.

Good one.

Yes, it's just as awkward, I think, not to say 'bless you" to someone who sneezes who expects it. I've long wondered where this nonsense came from. Was it god's plan that you sneezed or man's free will so god will bless you after it. Nice post

lerlo Level 8 Dec 31, 2017

Hahahaha that's to funny!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11753
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.