Agnostic.com

57 4

Is it okay for an atheist to sing sacred music?

I sing in a Choir and sometimes have to sing Requiems and Christmas Carols. Am I being hypocritical? I do enjoy singing them.

Marionville 10 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For a given definition of "sacred"...

Thanks, enjoyed listening.

@Marionville When I used to attend my ex's church, just to show willing, I kept volunteering to sing that one for the "special music" when they took up collections. For some reason they always declined.

@Paul4747 I wonder why?

I love sacred music, Palestrina, Allegri, Tallis - all that good stuff. I love visiting churches of all faiths as well. I'm an atheist - not an uncultured brute.

Well said Flettie. One would have to be a philistine not to appreciate some of the most beautiful music ever written. If the great composers were inspired by their faith to write their great masterpieces then all I can say is thank goodness for it.

Agreed. Well said!

Very good point

Naw. Sing whatever tickles your fancy; there's no "atheist god" to condemn you.

I LOVE the beautiful polyphonic music of Handel's Messiah.

it's wonderful music to sing too, especially with a couple of hundred others.....you can almost feel like you are lifting the roof with its soaring choruses.

Honey, you can sing anthing you want to...Just because I sing about Purple Rain it doesnt mean I have a belief in it !

I know, I do sing everything and anything....just wanted to know what others thoughts were, Thanks for the answer.

Music is a language of it's own. Melody, harmony; the words do not have to resonate for the music to do so. I love the song Vince Gill sings,"Go Rest High" even though I don't believe in an afterlife. It speaks of the values and ethics of a man who lived his life and his work. It evokes an image. Amazing Grace has an amazing sound, especially when played on the bagpipes. Silent Night for me is about pure clean vocals and melody.

Absolutely, my thoughts eaxactly. All music is manmade and a testament to man’s creativity. The fact that man dedicated and may have been inspired to compose them because of their religion should not detract from their beauty.

It's ok for an atheist to sing anything they like. Ding Dong Merrily On High hardly makes you a rampaging hypocrite no more than singing Smoke On The Water makes you an arsonist.

No a lot of religious music is beautiful. Every rock, soul, jazz, or blues musician in the south probably grew up on protestant backwoods church music and was hugely impacted by it. I know I was. Amazing Grace, to me, is still about the beautiful realization of a former slaver understanding how wrong he was. Just a Closer Walk at the end of White Men Cant Jump or the Soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou? can still make me misty. I saw Johnny Cash’s last appearance and he sang Angel Band in memory of June, not a dry eye in the house. When Mad Men used George Jones’ “Cup of Loneliness” Ill admit I was drunk, but still bawling, it moved me so. Just because we don’t believe literally in their symbology doesnt mean we can't be moved by the themes of faith and redemption.

A huge swathe of the history of European music (and art in general) has been dominated by the Christian churches, either because that's where the money was or because you would be endangering life and limb to do otherwise. We cannot reject so much beauty because we reject the politics of the sponsorship. Handel's Messiah has been mentioned. I'd add Bach's B minor mass, Mozart's Requiem and Hildegaard of Bingen's Feather on the Breath of God as music we should not be without. (That's a tiny selection of religious music I love. I could add whole swathes of plain chant, for example)

I agree, the list is too long to put up on this site.

I certainly agree about not rejecting because of sponsorship, but not all church music was commissioned by the Church. Certainly pre-baroque this would be true, but Bach's B minor mass was written with the ulterior motive of gaining a position at court. Much of Handel's work was financed by Charles Jennens, who wrote the libretto of Messiah, Mozart's Requiem Mass was commissioned by Count Franz von Walsegg, Either way, there is some amazing religious music, regardless of who laid the money down. 🙂

@Geoffrey51 Indeed. I didn't use the word "commissioned". Perhaps I should have said "" was where the was, rather "churches".

@Geoffrey51 Indeed. I didn't use the word "commissioned". Perhaps I should have said "religion" was where the money was, rather than "churches".
(Dawkins knows what happened to screw up my first attempt at this post.)

@Schmunzie HAHAHAHAHAH! good on ya Schmunzie!

As a musician, I think music is a universal language. It's someone else's emotions and feelings put to song and interpreted (sung) different ways by people who cover it. While I am Atheist/Agnostic, I still enjoy Christmas music because I like many of the holiday stories (keep in ind I said "stories" ). Probably my favorite traditional song is "Silent Night". Interesting fact that I absolutely love: During WWI there was a mutual cease fire between German & British/French troops in a place called "No Man's Land". It's a story of how one piece of music, recognized by both sides, allowed men to come together for that one period and celebrate their beliefs. There is a monument to the troops kicking around a football (soccer ball) in Paris. Check out the story if you have time. [time.com]

I believe it is called "Live and let live"

Yes, I do already know that story of the Christmas armastice. Music is most certainly a force for good in this world and I salute all the musicians and composers throughout history who have enriched our lives.

@GrungeGirl90s, you might enjoy this song, and the story that John tells with it.

Nah, Sing if it makes you happy. There's no chance of spontaneous combustion.

That’s a relief!

Mozart's Requiem is, for me, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. I don't see the hypocrisy in enjoying beautiful sounds, which by themselves, are merely beautiful sounds, and I am a full on athiest. Bring on the Bach!!

Did you know many Christmas carols were actually taken from 17th-century London brothel greeting songs? When you entered one of these establishments, the ladies would sing welcome songs to you. One ditty, we now know as"Hark the Herald Angels Sing" once had very different, and 'naughty' lyrics. The holy rollers lifted the melodies, and changed the lyrics.

Didn’t know that...!

I'm a choir boy too.

Keep singing....!

Obviously, there is no "atheist god" who could send you to "atheist hell" for doing it! Enjoy your life and obey your own morality not anyone else's.

It doesn’t bother me singing words dedicated to god, it’s the music that I love. I just wanted to know if anyone would say otherwise, but the responses have all been positive.

Yes I think it might be a sin. Although, who could resist "addicted to jesus" by Carman?

Um...I can resist anything by Carman. I would even prefer CarTman over him! Haha!

I love singing choral pieces too and Faure's Requiem is great isn't it? Enjoy and don't overthink it 😉

Thanks, doesn’t singing great music give such a buzz! ? ?

@Marionville yes, one of the serotonin releasing activities and better on the hips than chocolate 🙂

Of course it's okay. Why wouldn't it be?

Thanks for the three messages confirming what I aready thought. I was just interested to see if anyone would think it wasn’t ! ?

@Marionville sorry I thought you wanted input. I guess mine wasn't what you were looking for.?

@JeremiahAustin No, I welcome all responses, I was curious to see if anyone would say I shouldn’t , so far nobody has. ?

No it is not hypocrisy cause most choirs sing classical pieces, and well back in the day, a lot of it was composed for religous reasons. I mean, I'm not against a choir singing Warren G's "Regulate", but it wouldn't seem appropriate.

Many have said the words have no power and as long as they don't for you, and you enjoy singing, do it.

For you making the music is the end, not just a means as it would be to the religious. Keep that in mind and have no guilt. You're fine!

tioteo Level 8 June 29, 2018

Thanks for that, I am a guilt free zone!

It's "okay" for an atheist to do anything -- even believe in a god, and therefore no longer be an atheist, by definition.

In order to qualify as an atheist you have to lack belief in even one god. In order to qualify as a hypocrite you have to consistently espouse moral standards that your conduct doesn't conform to. Atheism isn't a moral standard. It's the lack of a particular belief. Since singing religious music may or may not reflect belief, then whether it's hypocritical to sing it depends on your motivation. If you are singing it to worship a god, you're a hypocrite. If you sing it because of its musical merit, then you're not.

After all, does a theist demonstrate hypocrisy by singing "Happy Birthday" or the national anthem or "Danny Boy"? No? Then don't worry about it.

I won’t.

I love "O Holy Night." And I'm an agnostic who was raised Jewish, so that's a double no-no!

Yes! Sing anything that brings you joy!

I think it’s fine! It’s just like a child singing nursery rhymes. They don’t think those things actually happened. Its just for fun.

Some gospel songs are great. Regardless of the supernatural trappings, the best religious music comes from people who have endured suffering and sacrifice.

In my opinion, absolutely. I just listened to Pentatonix singing "Mary did you Know". Regardless, of belief it is a beautiful song.

Agree!

Just remember these songs/ditties are only sacred to those that believe in such nonsense. To you they are just a collection of words put together to make a pretty (sometimes) sound. I happen to think “the devil went down to Georgia” is a great song, but neither believe in the devil nor Georgia... well, maybe Georgia is real, so maybe the devil is ??? Arrrrrggghh. I’m going to hell forever !!!!!

Jez3 Level 5 Feb 11, 2019

Much the same way as I think.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:118028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.