Agnostic.com

57 4

Is it okay for an atheist to sing sacred music?

I sing in a Choir and sometimes have to sing Requiems and Christmas Carols. Am I being hypocritical? I do enjoy singing them.

Marionville 10 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know fellow Atheists who sing professionally in churches. For them, it is a business. Personally, I feel like music only has the meaning you give to it. I plan on going to my first Messiah sing-along this Thursday because my friends and I are in a place where we really need a feeling of community and some joyful noises. I don't feel a bit bad about it.

I have been singing the Messiah for nearly fifty years...it is just wonderful, exhilarating! I only posted this to see what others thought....almost all were in agreement. These pieces may have been inspired by and dedicated to god, but they were written by man and a testimony to man’s genius.

Why not? I read fiction, why not sing it too. Besides making vibrations with my mouth organ is pleasurable.

DrT Level 4 Dec 18, 2018

No problem with me either, just wanted to hear others’ views.

Hell yes it is. I love gospel music, The passion and the soul . Does not affect my self at all.

EMC2 Level 8 Nov 28, 2018

Good to hear that, I enjoy it too.

okay according to whom? it's not illegal! i like all kinds of music.

g

Why not if you enjoy it! thats what the music is for: I sing christmas carols sometimes especially if the Salvation Army come round; and I have never had religious bone in my body but its nice to join in and be respectful and helpful with anyone elses causes as long as they don't hurt anyone .It certainly doesnt hurt me to have a sing song nd raises money for the right causes- I rarely think about the words, they are just partners of the music. what I say or sing doesnt necessarily equate with what i believe or not.

Just my thoughts too.

Sing away, my friend, as long as you have a better voice than I do 🙂

Can’t comment on that, but I think I am still in fairly good voice!

For a given definition of "sacred"...

Thanks, enjoyed listening.

@Marionville When I used to attend my ex's church, just to show willing, I kept volunteering to sing that one for the "special music" when they took up collections. For some reason they always declined.

@Paul4747 I wonder why?

Do what you enjoy doing! I sang in a church choir too, some excellent music in the Anglican tradition. You don't have to believe any of it to enjoy singing the music. (I did feel uncomfortable reciting the creed, though.)

Coffeo Level 8 July 14, 2018

Much of the music during the civil rights era germinated from the sacred. I enjoy researching the origin of music so I don't become as judgy as rightwingers.

I still like to listen to some of the praise and worship songs because I like the music, and sometimes I still sing along. Don't worry about what others might think of you enjoy singing them.

Thanks I do....it’s the music not the words I’m drawn to!

To me, music is about feeling, not believing. There are some songs I love that have religious themes.

. . . But I hate Christmas carols . . .

@towkneed To each their own!

All of the Disney songs are fairy tales. Where would we be if people only sung songs that were true. ?. Bunch of songs about physics and biology? Which would actually be a good thing.?

As for hymms and such, the words have no meaning to me. I sing along to Popeye the sailor man, doesn't mean i think he exists. the human voice is just one instrument in the band.

No, it's music. Hard to find fault in anything musical, especially if it moves you.

If you don't believe in god, why would you label any music as sacred? The word "sacred" suggests magical thinking. Just like the word "evil" suggests the supernatural. I don't believe in evil people, they are just broken mentally.

I only called it sacred because that terminology is used to describe non secular music by music publishers. It wouldn’t be my choice but it’s only a word and words can’t do any harm unless you allow them to.

I have "sacred" items. Beatles, Yes, Queen and Ian Hunter. We use terms that other people associate as religious, even if that is their origin. Mint chocolate is sacred to me. lol

Nothing wrong with the term sacred in the context. Its no different to calling something secular to give it a context. After all secular means nothing to do with religion and sacred means everything to do with religion. Merely polarities to identify. Indeed, the adjective secular would have been introduced to create the polarity.

Not at all. Most sacred music is uplifting and highly motivational. That is the skill of the writers. Nothing hypocritical in enjoying, and sharing with an audience. Great art, music, literature transcends religious and cultural boundaries and speaks to whoever we really are. Just think, whenever a piece gives that chill in the spine or goosebumps, its a part of you trying to get out to touch the music.

More hum in my case, love Chopin's Ode to Joy.

cava Level 7 June 29, 2018

I’m sure you are being modest Cava, but it is a wonderful tune to hum anyway. It is the anthem of the European Union. By the way, not Chopin but Beethoven.

Is it gonna make you fall to your knees and (gag) worship?
It's just music!

As a musician, I often mention religious themes in the songs I write. These are not to express my personal faith (because I am really cynical about all the religious clap-trap), but rather to evoke emotional associations in the listener.

I also swear via blasphemy quite a bit. And if there is a hell (doubtful!) and I go to it for THAT, well....cool beans!

Deveno Level 7 June 29, 2018

It is not okay for this athiest to sing, period. Dogs yowl and babies yearn for the womb.

A big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post replies to my question. I must admit it was largely rhetorical as nobody’s disapproval could ever make me stop singing....I think it’s in my DNA.! As all your replies have been overwhelmingly supportive of me continuing to sing music I love I’m going to reveal that I want my family to play Morten Harket’s version of I’m Ready To Go Home at my funeral (Humanist of course). It is a cover of a 10 cc hit from way back but I just love it and sing it myself often although the words do invoke God to bring me home. If when I do die and then find I’ve been entirely mistaken and come face to face with God I will just say ”sorry God, I’m sorry but your representatives on earth didn’t do a good job at selling you to me”. This of course was borrowed from the late Christopher Hitchens.

We used to do Amazing Grace occasionally when we were a country rock band. To us it was just a song we liked to do. We really kicked it in the butt the way we did it.

You know, it's funny, I loathe religious music of all kinds, but there's an exception to everything. I am big fan of Hank Williams Sr, though I don't like country music generally, another exception. For me he's a blues singer. But I love his gospel songs and have them all, because he has a voice that cuts right through to your centre, and unlike most gospel singers he believed every word. Even for a hard bitten atheist like me, his Pale Horse and his Rider resonates, I suppose because of the reality of mortality.

When music touches you it doesn’t matter what the words are it’s the actual emotion that the singer conveys that is getting to you. If you hear a beautiful song sung in a language you don’t understand it can still move you to tears!

I think it doesn't matter. Sing what you want to sing.

Gohan Level 7 June 29, 2018

Why not? One of my favorite hymns is: Near to the Heart of God. "There is a place of quiet rest | Near to the heart of God..." To me, this isn't about "God," it's about finding that place in our lives where we can be okay even amid the the struggles of life, and I've had a s$it-ton of those. They bring me hope. Not because of the lyrics per-se, but because the melody is beautiful, and the lyrics suggest that there is a place of peace.

As a writer, people ask me all the time, "Where do your ideas come from." The reality is, I don't know. But whatever it is, when I 'surrender' to it, it comes. To me, the Universe is mysterious... I don't understand it, but I don't need to. I simply need to enjoy it.

Yes you are right, I hope your creative juices continue to flow and that you can create beautiful music for your own fulfilment and for the enjoyment of others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:118028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.