Agnostic.com

14 1

Military religion.

I never been in the military and I always been curious. How much "freedom of religion " exist in the military today?
How is it different from the military 60 years ago?

RaulPerez 7 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am sure there are Muslims in the US military. There are 2 kinds of Muslims. The ones that believe in separation of church and state and are against jihad. Then the other type are the opposite. An onlooker cannot see the difference most of the time when in public. All Muslims in this country should have to sign a paper stating that they believe in separation of Church and state and are against Sharia law. If they don't sign, then they should be deported. Of course, Muslims believe that lying to apostates is OK if it is done to further the name of Allah.

Grecio Level 7 July 15, 2018

Just my opinion, but we're being a little extreme w Chaplains. I think an Xtian should be able to pray to Jesus, Muslims can mention Allah... in a public prayer and when I ETSd in 2015 public prayers had be faith neutral.

If I have to hear a prayer during a ceremony, IDGAF if they say Zeus or Set's name. Those prayers last ~3 minutes so also not a big waste.

CHPs can dip into some donated funds and goods, free lunch always rocks and ANYTHING was welcome on one deployment. I even read a bit on Islam and a CS Lewis book before we got regular mail.

I only knew one CHP who was an asshole Xtian, and am ok friends with 2 chaplains now.

When I was in there were very few that I saw practice any religion except for catholics and I was one at the time.There was the chaplain who sometimes gave blessings before any action but that was very limited.

Marine Level 8 June 30, 2018

In the Army (Infantry), 20 years ago, it was an excuse to get away for a couple hours on Sunday morning. If you didn't go to service you would be snatched up to police the area instead, so chapel was preferable to picking up litter.

When l was in l don't recall any interaction with a chaplain.

In fact, I was a chaplain's assistant in the army 60 years ago. Both a protestant and a catholic chaplain were housed in the one chapel on base and a rabbi would come to conduct services on a prearranged schedule. I never felt any friction or disrespect between any of us..

My experience has differed greatly between duty stations and active duty to national guard. For the most part. No one really cared and at the lower levels everyone usually kept their belifes to them self, aside from the occasional respectful philosophical debate. I have had some higher ups that have pushed that every one should fear "god" and "needs to be spiritual". The national guard has been a whole diffrent animal, but I am also in the mid west, so I have come to expect nothing different.

I can only speak to the USAF...when I entered in the late 80s, it was all about Gawd and Jeebus.
Not being an Abrahamic sheep ((I was Wiccan then)), I protested and through the 90s the momentum got stronger until, finally, in 2007, we got the Wiccan Pentagram recognized by the VA for use on Military Headstones --
link [nbcnews.com]

Now the Military allows pretty much all religions and religious groups to meet on base officially.
A very good friend of mine runs the SGI (Buddhist) meeting for troops in BCT at Ft. Sill, OK.

We've come a long way, baby!
221 Military Recognized Religions today!
link:
[military.com]

You get perfect legal freedom of religion, so you can defend your views and stuff but don't expect to be loved because you wanted to be irreligious in a strongly christian community. You will have to be able to defend your position by actually paying attention the discussion at hand, being vigorous, strong, unfearful and using logic with these people. Otherwise, if you get bent over in an argument, you're of no value to the irreligious population.

You only need to just ignore and move on . No response is needed, justified or even worthy of a response.

@jlynn37

Yes, I agree with that solution also. There needn't be only one way to do things, and that is perfectly valid,. I have no problems with that.

The USAF, Marines, and some Army line units are becoming radicalized. The senior officer's of the USAF in particular.

@Omen6Actual
Whoa! "CHAIR FORCE".... They did have the best "O" clubs and mess halls though.

It is only going to get worse in all aspects of life in the USA if the Republican, Conservative, Evangelicals maintain power. The Nov. elections will be a make or brake moment in American history. In my personal opinion.

My stepson did a tour in the Navy after college. He was assigned to a Los Angeles class sub. His observations are interesting and disturbing. The officer cadre' consisted of mostly professionals. While the junior petty officers and sailers had a wide variety of backgrounds, but very technical, and basically conservative in political and religious beliefs. But: He had a college buddy who was assigned to a small aircraft/troop carrier. His experience was different. The officer cadre' had a core of senior and middle ranking officers who were rabidly Christian. And, the various crew divisions amongst the enlisted were formed from gangs. Gangs such as Crips, Bloods, MS-13.... etc.
Pretty tense environment. And apparently not that unique in the military these days.

From the Military Religious Freedom Foundation

On September 1, 2011 the Chief of Staff, General Norton A. Schwartz sent a memorandum for all commanders in which he states, ” Leaders at all levels must balance Constitutional protections for an individuals free exercise of religion or other personal beliefs and its prohibition against governmental establishment of religion”. Further ” They must avoid the actual or apparent use of their position to promote their personal religious beliefs to their subordinates or to extend preferential treatment for any religion.”

I know you've been here a while, but agnostic.com has a bit of a learning curve. Here is some information that might be helpful for dating here.

New members are encouraged to earn website points, and help other members get to know them better, by writing an informational profile that includes their hobbies and interests, and answering all the profile questions, since that's the first place many women look when they see a new member.

The website algorithm uses profiles to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many women prefer to quickly look at a list of hobbies and interests to see if there's a match with a potential dating partner.

People make comments and write their own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two someone can private email people. There are different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

You don't want to know the answer to that ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:118207
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.