Agnostic.com

6 7

QUESTION White Christianity is in big trouble. And it’s its own biggest threat. - The Washington Post

This year, however, it’s increasingly difficult not to notice that the main threat to Christianity in America comes from American Christians themselves.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court heard a case from a baker who argued his Christian convictions led him to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. Last week, we witnessed the spectacle of white Christians in Alabama who convinced themselves either that the man they hoped to elect as their senator was not so creepy around young girls as to get himself banned from a mall (fact check: he was), or that the behavior that got him banned is actually biblical in character, and therefore okay (exegesis check: it isn’t). In the end, 80 percent of white evangelicals voted for Moore.

[America’s politically active Christians overlook the political facets of their own religion]

When we’ve reached a place where good Christian folk think it’s a matter of major theological principle not to sell pastries to gay people but are willing to give pedophiles a pass, I think it’s safe to say that American Christianity today — white American Christianity in particular — is in a pretty sorry state.

zblaze 7 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hypocrisy requires shame to have any effect, hence it is not in trouble.

White American Christians believe that the second coming will happen before they die. They don't put a date on that anymore because that might count as a hypothesis. In science, when a hypothesis is disproved by actual observation it is rejected. In religion you just gloss over it and change it a bit.

Or you could invent the myth of the Wandering Jew as a way out.

I would support them in their non-baking quest if they also refused adulterers, divorced individuals, murderers, and any people who were sinners. If they kept the playing field level, I'd support their 'religious beliefs' 100%. But since they only chose gays, I don't think they are being honest about their convictions.

tRUMP pandered fear to the Religious Right and people fell for it. It makes me angry that they were stupid enough to fall for it. They want to change immigration laws-keep America white and christian, support tRUMP's assanine wall, and deny equal rights to the LGBTQ community. What pieces of shit! They are deaf, dumb and blind.

Agreed!

I didnt even need the WP to point that out to me

I have bern rather shocked by how quickly, and effectively, religion and politics have taken each other (and themselves) down by getting together. The nonreligious could not have damaged religion more effectively if they tried. The religious are completely destroying themselves!

Zster Level 8 Jan 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12063
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.