Agnostic.com

27 4

The old debate rises again! (or closes again)

I'm now in my seventies, and I still don't know why women have such a "thing" about guys leaving the toilet seat in the up position. The most common reason I've heard is that women are fearful of inadvertently dunking their bottoms in the chilly water when they get up, all sleepy-like, in the middle of the night. Now, from my perspective, why is it so difficult/annoying for anyone to take a moment to adjust the position of the seat to accommodate the particular performance anticipated? I mean, we gentlemen (I assume a lot) don't gripe about having to lift the seat after a lady has ceremoniously (I was going to say, "prissily" 😮) closed it. What's really going on here? Once again, inquiring minds want to know. I'm thinking double standard right about now.

RobLawrence 7 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let's just have everyone close the whole thing up by lowering the seat and the lid. Case closed🙂

Exactly, then it teaches everyone to pay attention.

I always lift the the seat, then when I'm done I put the seat back down, it's common courtesy.

@RobLawrence, Actually I'm 95% positive that the person that is going to be a female, since I have two daughters.

Try leaving the seat down and pissing all over it and see what happens. Men do not have complete control of how their aim will be in that situation.

I've run into that , "accidently on purpose ," error before . I now have 4 bathrooms all to myself . No more problems .

@Cast1es Both of mine are all to myself.

This is an easy one. Separate bathrooms (or homes) !

Separate homes preferably for me with visiting and over night privileges.

@jlynn37 But with no bathroom privileges?? Ha ha.

@scurry All privileges apply to overnight stays and I do have 2 bathrooms.

@jlynn37 Perfect! 😉

@scurry Y'all come on down now, ya heah.

@jlynn37 we'll all come visit !

@scurry where I live - you could always go out in the woods ...

@evergreen Y'all ALL come on down now, ya heah

@evergreen Same where I live but that is not necessary as I have 2 bathrooms but that would be your choice.

@RobLawrence what is ?

@RobLawrence ?????

This is so incredibly easy to settle.

Most toilet seats have LIDS. The biggest reason to put the lid down, BEFORE
flushing, is because millions of microscopic water droplets are sprayed into the air every single time the toilet is flushed. Each droplet contains bacteria.
That bacteria lands everywhere in the bathroom, including on your toothbrush.
If you don't have a problem brushing YOUR teeth with used toilet bowl water, that's fine, but everyone else who keeps a toothbrush in that bathroom just might.

Another reason to put the lid down, is because unless you keep your toilet clean (as in ALL the time), any errant stain or 'miss' is going to be visible.

If you need even more proof, Mike Rowe (the "Dirty Jobs" guy) is in the attached
demonstration (the link is safe) :

Btw, I live alone and still put the whole apparatus down, every single time. I also do it when I'm in other people's
homes.

A person’s immune system REQUIRES exposure to microorganisms in order to maintain healthy conditioning. Brushing your teeth with a trace of water from the toilet is very healthful IMO.

Having to clean someone else’s urine off the floor and off the rim of the toilet—now that could get old. But I didn’t realize they had indoor plumbing over there in Georgia.

@WilliamFleming You are hilarious.

at my house the lid is closed by ladies and the seat and lid are closed by men... If you want the dogs drinking out of the toilet, then I will bring them to kiss you after you leave it up 😉

that's how it goes at my place but to each their own

Hell yeah! Keeping the dogs out of the toilet is another reason to keep the lid(s) closed.

In actuality - the toilet water is cleaner than a post thoroughly-justed-licked-my-genitals kiss from dogs or cats ... Yum

@evergreen I think that depends upon how clean one keeps their toilet.
Scrubbed every day, okay. Not every day, that a great big NOPE.

Lol I don't care if my dog licked up some toilet water, especially since I would not know if she drank from the bowl anyway (most likely she doesn't, she gets plenty of filtered water and has a pretty much perfect diet)

Bring on the pee-laced dog kisses! 😀

Nature and cultural norms mean that men have a much easier time of peeing to start with, unzip it and point it in the right direction. Women on the other hand have to peel their way through however many layers of garments then assume a seated position before the performance can begin. Now this may seem a minor inconvenience until you are in a hurry, then it all takes time and if you've ever had cystitis you know this can be a problem, but the odds are you haven't yet more than half of all women have and a third have the recurrent version. Now 60% of the recurrent version is precipitated by having sex, so some of us could avoid the problem by simply keeping our legs crossed but I reckon things will be happier all round if you just put down the seat.

Kimba Level 7 July 3, 2018

I think that there is mostly no consequence for a man who stands and unzips to accommodate the urge for number 1 with the seat up or down and without usually risking the unpleasant experience of a nasty cold toilet-bowl water wetness on one's bum. Whereas women must always sit, and because we must always sit, we must always have the seat down no matter the number. If men must also always sit, there would be no problem. Men would insure the seat down at all times. We would all be happy. But the thing is that before the sitting, women must perform more "preparation" exercises than men, who again mostly only stand, the deed done in seconds. Sometimes seconds are all we women have before disaster. So we must unzip, unclasp, AND unbutton our slacks. Most ladies slacks have all three less our privates be vulnerable.
Then we push down or raise up our clothing depending on what we're wearing. Then we unlatch our body suit crotch clasp, and ultimately push down our underwear and hurriedly sit: into nasty cold wet toilet-bowl water because we were focused on sitting before a disaster occurred and didn't have time to notice the seat up or down.

@iamjc Ah. OK.

@iamjc Right male. When you poo you put the seat down. Yes, I get it.

@iamjc Im surprised you stand at all.

@iamjc Maybe if we think of the problem this way? Women sit 100% of their toilet experience. One hundred percent. Since we are required to sit 100% of the time, we would not ever require the seat up. And we would never leave a seat up. But because men stand 50% and sit 50% percent of the time in the toilet, they should be responsible for placing the seat down for the person who requires it down 100% of the time. The people who sit on the toilet 50% are creating a selfish and discourteous problem for those who must sit 100% of the time and who also represent a higher demographic population since there are more women than men on the Earth. So put the seat down since there are more people who use it sitting 100% of the time than there are who use it standing 50% of the time and it's the standers causing this profoundly serious problem!

@iamjc Yeah, you stay classy and mature. I can certainly see why a woman found you attractive enough to marry.

@LilAtheistLady Exactly the point. A man who lifts the seat, puts the seat back down. Common courtesy. You put things back where you found them.

I know I used to get peeved when the TV remote etc was not put back in the agreed position (the central position on the coffee table, where everyone could find it). By that token, the toilet seat position is "down", where the last person left it, and it's returned to "down" when I'm done using it. Even, as I mentioned above, when I'm the only one living here now. Just habit..

Maybe I'm domesticated... maybe other men like thinking that it's a sign of their rowdy independence that they don't have to put the seat down. I think it's a sign of thoughtlessness.

Ok men, here are your choices:
Put the SEAT down always (or suffer the wrath of a woman who fell in) Put the LID down always (prevents microscopic ( at the least) urine water spray all over the counter ... including your toothbrush) Close the SEAT and LID always (peace on earth ) Why do you resist ?

@RobLawrence Glad to hear you're evolving Rob !

I also feel the same way. The spray from the toilet is the main reason I always make sure to put the lid down.

@iamjc You're saying you can't put something back where you found it?

How do you feel when the TV remote isn't where you left it? Same thing.

@iamjc And if someone hasn't got the consideration to put it back down, I think that's an even bigger problem.

Because no matter how straight you think you can urinate standing up, it's still hitting the walls. Hygiene! No one should have to wipe up after you.

@RobLawrence I do. I’m on my feet most of the day so I peeing is a chance to sit down.

Women have gravity on their side when lowering the seat. Men have to fight gravity to raise the seat. ☺

I have a one motion each rule in my house....males must lift the seat to go; females must lower the seat to go. One motion each. Seems fair.

Yes!

OK, here's my take: Both genders should make the effort to put down whichever part of the toilet is up when they are finished: either close the outer/top lid, or close both the outer lid + inner ring. This equals the burden for all who use the toilet. Plus, when flushing and the solid lid is closed down, this prevents the microscopic mist from emitting out of the toilet. Both genders also get in the habit of lifting whatever part of the toilet they want upon starting - lid, or lid + ring. Finally, the whole room looks tidier and neater when the toilet's all closed up!

I agree 100%. The lid's there for a reason, and it ought to be used by all, which obviates any potential arguments about the default position of the seat. The seat belongs down when the toilet isn't in use, because the lid belongs down when the toilet isn't in use.

What is the big deal about not wanting to put it down? Is this some assertion of manliness? I live by myself. I leave the damn lid down. The muscle power involved in lifting the lid is MINIMAL. Gravity puts it down for me again.

Really. What's the big deal? Men?

@Gwendolyn2018
Awww. 🙂 I love you too, Gwendolyn. In a "you're a beautiful person, we can be friends online" kind of way.

I was taught it was the gentlemanly thing to do. It's pretty much a non thought I've been doing it so long. Like nature. Do you leave your fly open also?

Put the seat down if you'd care to reduce the of the women in your lives injuring themselves by falling in to the bowl.
Put the LID down before you flush to keep from getting a blast of fecal particulates all over ya self.

Actually it's a very symmetrical argument. In the eyes of the woman, why can't we put it down?... From the guys perspective, why can they leave it up when done? Funny story though... My wife would always choose the opposite to every thing but the toilet lid. On that one, she was always very consisten, keep it closed at all times or I would not hear the end of it for days ?????

@RobLawrence I gave up trying to understand years ago and learn to keep the lid closed. I have found myself several times in my hotel room in a bussines trip (by myself) closing the lid and then cracking up when I realize there was no reason to do that but I did it anyways. I guess I am a good dog.

I wish these women would stop moaning.

How difficult is it to put a toilet seat down?

Really.. It takes a tenth of a second. It's nothing.

They have lids for a reason. If everyone puts the lid down, everyone also has to lift it up to use it.
Fair enough, all the way around.

The objection I’ve heard from women is that we men tend to splatter all over and create a mess. I get around that problem by using a jar.

It was quite a chore to find one large enough to accommodate my member.

@RobLawrence Ahem, wide mouth mason jar. 🙂

I've always said it takes the same amount of effort for both . Also someone has solved the problem tehy just need to start fitting them everywhere

I prefer to put both the seat and lid down. I do this because toilets when flushed will create a "toilet flume" which is a fine mist made of waste material / water that gets all over everything including you.

It's just a meme that people pass on. There is no actual reason for it except to accommodate rare scenarios. Most people already know how to use a toilet, there should be no issues with the positioning of the seat, and no, ignoring toilet seat ettiquette is NOT a personal attack. I know people may find it offensive when the toilet seat is not in a certain position, but those people seriously think that other people don't have lives and universes of their own to attend to. Common sense provides that this is a minor thing and that it is again, not a personal attack to leave the toilet seat up.

Hank Hill was a squatter... according to Dale?

Probably because we expect a gentleman to do it, just because... but I totally get your point.

@RobLawrence So when a drunk driver hops the curb, you die a split second before her?

I've thought about this as well, and the potential double standard.
First, to clarify, we're talking "seat" not "lid".

Woman need the seat down for 100% of the standard bathroom activities.
Men need the seat down for 50% of the potential activities, although, I imagine that it's more like maybe 20% of the actual usage for guys.
Even if we use the lower numbers, it still works out to 60% of the (normal) activities require the toilet seat to be in the down position.
(If we include praying to the porcelain god, that percent will change.)

The other factor to consider would be how many of each sex are using the toilet in question.
If it's a household with mostly women - sorry guys, lower the seat - not worth the fight(s).
BUT it it's a male dominated area, like my work, (yes, we have only one shared restroom) then I have to put up with the seat being up (and a lot of gross stuff).
I look at it this way; I would prefer to put the seat down, than to have to wipe of the seat, if you catch my drift.

That's my take on it - for what it's worth.

@RobLawrence Probably more than I needed to, but I did need to, unfortunately.
I present to you, my workplace washroom: used by one and all.
It was pretty clean today (don't look to close), and the seat was down (and dry).
Don't even get me started on the toilet paper.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.