Agnostic.com

55 3

Marijuana for recreational or medicinal? Dont be shy?

Well... California just passed legalizing marijuana. I love it. Would you say you would grow it for medicinal purposes or recreational purposes?

BucketlistBob 8 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Recreational. I believe it is demonstrably safer than other legal substances(alcohol and tobacco).

Oddly enough I completely disagree with medical marijuana. Plant based medicine cannot be as accurately dosed as any other prescription substance and we should not taint the medical industry by making arbitrary exceptions to research and dosing requirements. If Doctors want you to take it for your glaucoma, they should just tell you to go do it, like they tell you to eat more fiber and less bacon.

@FortyTwo My first sentence is that it should just be universally legal. However, allowing the FDA to allow it to be sold as a medication opens a door that I think we need to keep closed. Allowing homeopathic "medicines" to be sold as real medicine is a travesty that we need to fight against. As it exists burden of proof for medication is identification of the active ingredients and the proper dosing of those ingredients. That is a proper intellectual position.

Your clear statement that it is almost impossible to OD on means that it should be treated the same as green tea and turmeric. If we moved to the position that that was how we treated this plant, most doctors wouldn't have an issue suggesting it to the patient and the patient wouldn't need the doctor's approval anyway. I think "medicinal marijuana" is a position that provides more good for more people than the status quo, but at a great cost and is not the intellectually defensible position.

The drug war is atrocious. I am a serious fan of the band 311 and although I don't use marijuana, I am exposed to it often and the over regulation is seriously contemptible. But my position is a result having worked in a pharmacy and seeing what people think is medicine and what is not and therefore developing an appreciation for our regulation of the title "medicine".

@FortyTwo I only looked into this briefly but I did not have confidence in the standardization of product to determine dosing with CBD. That makes presription fairly impossible as you can not determine the dose. Is that what you are talking about?

@FortyTwo I agree that it should not be Schedule 1 and NEVER should have been, I am just also opposed to letting it into any other category. If you want to classify THC, CBD and other cannabinoids as a lower classification of medication, I don't see a problem with that at all, especially considering the synthetic was dowgraded from a C2 to a C3 in 1999 and has been legal since 1985.

@FortyTwo You are putting a lot of words in my mouth and second guessing me. I know you can get labeled packages but I am not sure how reliable that labeling is. I do not know the system that sets these standards and if it can be trusted. When you prescribe a medication you are responsible and though I am not opposed to marijuana there are side effects to every medication and unknowns to consider. A prescriber is held responsible.

@DJVJ311 marijuana is a herbal medicine. Homeopathy and homeopathic remedies is a system of treatment.Some of our oldest medicines used in standard western medicine are plant derived. Digitalis is one. Taxol is a newer chemotherapeutic agent isolated I believe from the yew. Those are just two quick references. Scientists are always looking to isolate compounds from nature to use in the pharmaceutical industry. I would say that is a standard practice

@btroje I said I have no problem with the isolated compounds being properly dosed and treated as drugs. I am saying the plant is not a drug and the FDA/DEA should not treat it as such. The Coca plant is illegal. Cocaine is legal(Class 2 Narcotic). Coca is not a drug, cocaine is. Marijuana should not be a drug, THC and CBD can be and a synthetic THC has been for 30+years. My position is based on evidence necessary for drug classification requiring proper dosage.

Homeopathy is a debunked nonscientific "theory" that "like treats like" because water molecules "remember" how to treat things and where the less of an active ingredient is deemed more potent. It was better than blood letting and boring into people's skulls, so it was the best "medicine" at the time, but it has no credible evidence or theory of action.

@DJVJ311 I only stated a general idea about homeopathy because your use of the word does not make sense, I was not discussing my support or lack thereof. Please read before scolding. If you were in medicine and not IT you would know that trying to isolate silver bullet compounds from plants has not been that effective especially if you have the chance to interview patients who are seeking relief and can give you their feed back rather than just read a book or paper. THe more I carefully read on this board the more I see people acting like experts outside their fields, not using rational thinking and mostly spouting off opinions. If a plant based medicine has been effective it is because of the sum of the complex chemistry in that plant and not an isolated compound. Vitamin A iuse in relation to cardiac disease might be something to read about

@btroje I am not an expert in the chemistry or medicine directly, but I do have a larger than average exposure to the field and an understanding of the regulatory system behind it. I spent 5+ years as a certified pharmacy technician(retail, lead technician) and have done a little consulting with several PBMs and startups(software development, compliance and auditing) since I have family connections throughout managed care pharmacy. My opinion is solely based on the desire to keep our regulatory system and pharmacological field grounded in pure evidence. Also, this is not a presidential council where people should be chosen based on their expertise, but a public forum for discussion and the refinement of ideas.

I apologize if you feel I was scolding you about homeopathy, but I was simply stating the facts as they exist. Homeopathy is casually injected into conversations because people only ever get a lightweight cursory idea of what it's about and generally defining it is an effective way of removing it from otherwise intellectual conversation. It is literal placebo. I never claimed the chemicals in marijuana were homeopathy, but the strict regulation of dosing and evidence based results should not be loosened because of things like homeopathy.

I am not saying it is easy to isolate silver bullet compounds. I am saying that is the basis of pharmacology and should remain so. There is no other plant that is prescribed. There are plants that doctors recommend all the time, like plants high in fiber and high in certain vitamins. I am also not saying that the current stance that marijuana is illegal is right or defensible on any grounds or that it is beneficial to the people at large.

Not sure. Medicinal definitely. Recreational ? I've known too many potheads that smoked to excess. The happy stupor would be a potential disaster while driving, or operating machinery.

And then there's the same health risks , or worse, as smoking. Like we need more ?

Not cut and dry with me.

Since I wrote this - just this morning the stats from L.A. came in, and the number of impaired drivers has doubled.

High drivers aren't as bad as drunk though - nowhere near, atleast until they're gotten like...solar system high lol. Can't remember terms and whatnot of what exactly I read, it was a while ago and would have no idea how to find it as I'm not in the habit of bookmarking or saving things. I should really do that...and I'm not really excusing it, just putting it out there.

they've*

@Neraven Perhaps - though it won't matter if one crashes into you - will it ? I've known some pretty spaced out smokers. They were only good for lying around and eating. ha

@evergreen True enough. I know someone whos done it for about 30 years and another whos done it for atleast...ten years, prolly more around 15. You can barely tell the difference between when they do and dont, and theyre very competent drivers.
Oh and fun fact, people get slightly better at driving around .02 percent bac. Which is why ive noticed when im a little tipsy i can be a LOT better at video games and jigsaw puzzles lol.

The medicinal qualities seem a little unreliable to me. Much of the science is based off of older breeds of the plant where newer breeds have sharp contrasts in chemical makeup. However, recreational is absolutely fine with me. Even if it's found later on that it's highly destructive it shouldn't be classified as criminal. At that point it's a healthcare issue as criminal as McChicken sandwiches.

I oppose medicinal for other reasons, but from my understanding the various strains they're developing now(at least the legitimate medical suppliers) are in response to the research to get a better balance of chemicals for different treatments.

@DJVJ311 @FortyTwo it's been a while since I looked into it, but this sounds like good news to me. I'm glad that it's being addressed because I'm all for a healthy way of using pot, especially if it means medicine can be fun for patients. I know for me I dealt with severe anxiety lasting days after use so I stopped playing with it but if it can work safely for others and not cause harm to society, smoke away.

Yes I would.i can think of many people I have known who were ruined by alcohol. None by marijuana.

Hmmm......................I can't help but think that habitual use played a part (no matter how small) in two of my brothers dropping out of mainstream society. One deals with chronic pain from gout; the other always thought he'd get rich by it. I worry what will become of their lives when they are old and have no insurance, pension, 401💋, SS or Medicare (assuming the the programs will still be solvent in 20-30 years).

I just don't think that would be the case if they were not habitual users. I could be wrong.

@BlueWave I grew up with smokers who became doctors, professional people who had challenging, demanding careers.i just don't think driven people are sidetracked by marijuana. I do know a couple of friends who were sabotaged by liquor addictions.

The worst drawback I have seen. Is a 40 year old man living in his Mother's basement. When he has a party of friends over. It takes a whole team to be able to order a pizza, then they fight over the last pizza.

Pennsylvania is legalizing medica l, but, if you register they're gonna try to take your guns..

What.

They are trying somehow.
I don't know if the full get it through.
Something t o do with the feds still making it illegal ???
There are so few ways to qualify for it anyway..

Yeah so? Get rid of all guns and we'll all be much safer.

No. I tried it several times over 40 years ago and did not like its effects.

Have you thought about how hugely beneficial it is and can be to other people though? Or how it can produce tax revenue and save money just by being decriminalized?

@Neraven I believe that there is merit in controlled medicinal use of marijuana in cases it can help pain. As far as tax revenue, that is blood money, just like revenue from cigarette sales and alcohol sales. We do not need another escape mechanism.

It can be very subjective. I feel the same as I do about abortions-don't like it, don't get one.

There will never be a one size fits all answer to this. Even if it's fully legal, both medicinal and recreational, it's still up to the individual. Everything in life is risk vs reward. If the risks of using something that you feel doesn't have enough research outweighs the reward of feeling some kind of medicinal relief-that's your choice. Same of the reverse. Not everyone reacts to things the same or has the same assessment of their reactions. I make the choice to take Xanax as needed, even though it has some side effects I don't like, and even though there's a high chance of addiction. If I decide that weed is a better option for me for whatever reason, there are still things about it I don't like, but I'm deciding which risks and rewards I'm the most comfortable with. My stance is to legalize it across the board, when I weigh the overall societal risk vs reward.

Both .It should be legal . It is no worse than alcohol,or cigarettes, plus it will produce tax revenue and save money on the policing,and prosecution

A lot better than alcohol and cigarettes I'd venture to say lol. There's all the bad things that come with just smoking, but there are far less carcinogens and fake chemicals and preservatives and all that like what's put into cigarettes. And I feel like I don't have to even explain how it's better than alcohol xD

Having grown a lot of my own over the years, I am against taxation. If I can grow my own veggies, why can't I grow my own pot?

The oldest iceman ever found had a measure of pot on his person. Archeologists thought that, as he slowly froze to death, he was smoking pot to take the edge off. Sorry. Medical use is just fine. Getting high just "because"? Pass.

Yeah,I tried to smoke pot while was freezing to death too, but couldn't get that fatty lit cuz I was shaking too much!

Well the "because" reasons can be perfectly legitimate, too. It can make you (sometimes a lot) more creative, so it's certainly nice to write/colour/draw/whatever else on it. People tend to open up more, look at the deeper meanings in things and really appreciate their senses. It can help you to get to sleep, too, and sleep problems often aren't necessarily severe enough to warrant some sort of diagnosis by the average therapist or psychiatrist. Also, it was called a "peace pipe" by the Native Americans for a reason 😛

Well Bob i was in a car accident aug 3, 2005. Massive brain injury, ear cut 80% off, fractured L2 vertibre, colma for 28 days with a valve in my head to relieve pres! I don't remember shit till already home. And can't remember wheel chair, learning to walk again, i was fucked up!! I can't wait for it to go medical in nebraska, cuz will get better deal than going through2-3 hands to get here from col. under the radar. I need it medically as my brain isn't wired right anymore! Ya medical!!

Man....i am so sorry about all that. I wish you so much luck.

maybe it made me stronger? But i do know i look and react to the common world way differently now.

Both. If tobacco and alcohol are legal. mj should be the least of lawmaker's worries

MrsG Level 1 Jan 4, 2018

Thanks

Except our criminal capitalist government wants a piece, and with that, comes Monsanto.

Full legalization! I find it incredibly ridiculous that they are secretly trying to make cbd a schedule 1 substance now. There is way too much evidence proving it’s medically necessary..

I hear you.

I'm very satisfied with my state and liberal MJ and CBD laws. 🙂

Both.

Alrighty...

Both. In New Hampshire I'm in the process of applying for their Cannabis Program. I also smoke recreationally as I have on and off since my teens.

Yeah!

I'm all about medicinal!!! My brother is severely autistic and he can have major tantrums. We tried it once,because he can seriously hurt us... And it calmed him down like within 10 mins. My brother is 6'5, 300+pounds,and when he's mad he will hit,flip heavy furniture,And attack me and my family members.
Recreational... it's okay,but doing it all day,when you wake up, to every 30 minutes..... no.

I see its needed..

Are all the people who make money out of legalised dope going to be around to support all the casualties. In the UK the drinks industry certainly doesn't support all the beaten wives, drunk-drive victims and the alcoholics in rehab, to name but a few.
I've met people who have told me overuse of marijuana made them depressed and they seriously thought about suicide and others in psychiatric hospital who said smoking too much dope is what put them in there. Of course I know lots of people who use it "responsibly", but those who don't will incur a cost - and not just financial by any means.

around 3 % of the population are VERY allergic to massive quantities of marijuana. Full psychosis is the result . BUT any one can be tested for the genome "com-t" that is the precursor. Just stop ruining our lives with your idiot laws is all I have to say [ on this issue]

Legalise and control it around the world. Regulate it in the same way that different countries regulate alcohol and I would go so far as to say legalise and regulate all recreational drugs.

The further drugs get pushed underground, the more damage they do. Opiates from natural sources would open up a legitimate way for taliban to rely on the west with mutual trade dependency - in the same way that Japan trades with the west now.

Every society has it's mind altering drugs of choice and has had since before records began. Prohibition doesn't work. It's a bit like the religious "Just say no" approach to contraception and safer sex.

In the UK, the government has been waging a war on what were known as legal highs, gradually banning substances by adding them into the Misuse of drugs Act. This resulted in increased deaths as more and more dangerous substances were sold to stay one step ahead of the law. The law has now been changed to include "any psychoactive substance..." Sledgehammer and nut spring to mind. Isn't caffeine psychoactive in higher concentrations?

And in case you are wondering, no I don't use recreational drugs with the exception of the occasional beer or glass of wine with a meal.

Yup, caffeine can be pretty bad, and is definitely addictive. Nicotine is actually not that bad in and of itself and has some useful properties, but cigarettes are horrendously addicting (purposefully made that way by scientists that the companies hired because they started losing lots of business when people realized smoking was actually not healthy at all, if you didn't know) and they're legal. Alcohol is extremely addictive too, and can ruin just about everything in your body, if you have the propensity towards addiction, or specifically alcoholism. Energy drinks are awful for you as well xD

Just because it is not well known, I think it is important to point out that synthetic THC has been legally regulated as a Schedule 2 narcotic since 1985 and was downgraded to a Schedule 3 controlled substance since 1999. Anyone who wants to engage in the medicinal legalization issue from an informed position should research and understand that and its limitations. Google "Marinol"

Thanks

In Arizona it lost in the last election but hopefully next time. I'll get my six plants the first week.

gearl Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

Great news, my kind of party, grow them 25 feet tall.

Since you asked...I'm totally gonna be shy!
No but seriously, both. I have used it technically recreationally off and on for five-ish years, but have come to realize it's really a lot like medicine for me. I also have prescription medication, which you're not supposed to smoke on I believe, but it really doesn't seem to interfere with that, only add to the positive effects (except for if I take my xr adderall that day and smoke too much xD). Of course there are the usual negative side effects, like paranoia and demotivation (the latter of which I already have some pretty bad problems with) but taken in conjunction with my other stuff, it mitigates the severity of the lack of motivation, atleast. And overall, it can give me a rather astounding sense of well-being (up to probably a more normal person's level - the adderall also does this though) for up to a few days afterwards. I would totally grow it legally, since it'd be a great source of income and I could then grow my own too lol, and not keep bumming off of everyone else cuz of super poorness >_>'

Cool... you talk about a new hobby. It would be a hobby forum. Hows your plants doing. Mine at 30 feet tall now...lol

I really don't like the argument that booze is worse, so weed is good with driving. That's a false equivalnece. Drive under the influence of pain killers is bad, driving over tired is bad. Anything that slows the reflexs is bad. It's not a question of being less high is okay. It's not okay to drive high, tired or medicated. You don't react quiclky enough and are confused and often not taking care of the task at hand. Weed is BAD when you are driving. Don't drive home high. Alcohol is worse, but is 2 drinks worse 1/2 a joint? It's about the same. I have no trouble with weed, I have had trouble with booze in the past. Don't get me wrong. I understand both, but to say that it's better than another intoxicant from a driving point of view is wrong in my mind. If you get wrecked stay home or get a lift.

Yeah and screw big Pharma and their stupid penicillan. It's the govt. that lets the BAD pharma people peddle drugs legally. Vote those shitheads out of office and make Pharma follow the rules. Then put those that don't out of business while taking all the ill earned money. They folks that turned on the opiod crisis know what they did, we know who they are and govt. won't act. Make them act.

I was born and raised here in California, and I honestly do not recall hearing any widespread sentiment that driving under the influence of cannabis is good. In fact, that was the one sticking point I had when it came to legalization.

However, the bare fact is/was that regardless, legal or illegal, people are and were going to be driving after using (even while), just as with alcohol.

As far as I know, there has been no conclusive data yet produced clearly showing an increase in vehicle accidents solely attributable to cannabis use. I would be more than willing to rethink the whole thing should reliable data from an unbiased source say otherwise.

BTW, I have used cannabis intermittently for over 5 decades, and I do agree that no one should drive high (or drunk, of course).

Not my thing but I am all for both...

Im all for medical marijuana, actually I don't mind it being legal for recreational as well. Its not my thing, but I believe some people are better off smoking that than they are drinking alcohol.
I have seen a few people ADHD, who completely calm down after smoking, though give them alcohol and its a horror.
I have also met a few people, with missing limbs, who get the phantom limb pain and they say the only thing that helps is if they smoke.
They are trying to get it legalized here, I hope they do. As I said not for me, but it works for many.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 3, 2018

I support full legalization. It's time to stop jailing people for smoking flowers.

It should be legal . I once grew it for a couple of years

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12494
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.