Agnostic.com

33 4

What is your moral compass?

Given that you are definitely NOT going to heaven, being non believers and all, and that you are probably not going to hell because there is no afterlife. What determines your actions? Do you have an attitude or set of guidelines in place of the rigid rules placed on us by religions. For myself, I am guided by the principle, "Do no harm" , re judging others, it is similar, as long as no-one and nothing is adversely affected, consenting adults can do what they like.

Rugglesby 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mine's gone south.

godef Level 7 Jan 4, 2018
  1. Be the most positive person I can be. Negative feelings and actions are wasted energy.

2. Be as pleasant as I can with people even trumpsters.

3. Do what I can to improve this planet and the environment.

4. Fight for civil rights of Women, LGBTQ Community, disabled and discrimination of race,
    religion, ethnicity, and DACA.

I thought you might like this. A woman has been sworn in as King county (Seattle) sheriff. Her sheriff's pin was placed by her wife Maureen Warren. Seattle also elected it's first woman mayor in decades and both WA senators are women (Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell).
[seattletimes.com]

@JackPedigo thanks for sharing.

@sassygirl3869 I am having trouble understanding how it is to live in certain parts of the country. This region, this county and especially this island seems to be in a different world. Yes, there are problems but most are united in what the real values are.

Me too-I haven't seen enough of this country. Maybe we should start a travel group.

@sassygirl3869 There is a group called SERVAS Int'l (U.S. SERVAS here). I am a long time member and my late partner was an area coordinator. One signs up with a local interviewer to get admitted. One can be a traveler and/or host. When one joins you get a listing which lists all kinds of information about the hosts, ages, children, languages spoken, causes they support and so on. There are a lot of non-religious. I and one other couple are the only hosts in the islands. Seattle, San Francisco and DC are the two biggest host cities in the US. and Germany, Italy and the US are the most active countries in the org but it is world-wide and covers all the states (probably even some places in your state).

Cool program. Like to know more. I'll check it out. Thanks JackPedigo.

I use a similar guiding principle: minimum violation of human dignity and respect, and of the environment that sustains us.

I trust my gut. If it feels wrong, it probably is wrong.

I go by pretty much the same thing. I like the "Do unto others..." philosophy. Don't be a dick to me, and I won't be one to you.

I lost mine ... (kidding)

I think most of us intrinsically know how to be good people, then it's a matter of deciding to be one or not. "Do no harm" is a fine place to start !

" most of us intrinsically know how to be good people" within our existing societies. Morality is a set of learnt behaviours derived from our society. Societies are peoples way of adjusting to, and surviving in, their environment. There have been times in pretty much all cultures when infanticide was a moral action. Hansel and Gretel has a basis in a real and dreadful reality for medieval Europe. When the survival needs change society, and so morality, has to change with it. The stress of doing this quite literally drove many people mad.

What does "do no harm" entail? All of us, myself included, do things that cause harm. It's part of our nature and need to survive. Other species are being lost (this is the era of the sixth great extinction) to make way for us. It is not easy and complicated. I think discussion helps.

"Don't be a dick" pretty well sums it up for me.

I have my own set or morals and values on what is justified to be good and of kind heart. One can debate till the sun comes up on what is good and what are morals but deep down to me, if I can wake up with a clear conscience knowing I am doing the best I can and not step on anyone in the process, do something out of spite, have hard feelings for someone because of some hidden agenda, then I think I am doing the right thing according my creed of being who I am.

To a certain extent our culture plays a small part in our morality but my compass is I basically do not treat people differently than I would wish to be treated

My moral compass points toward my version of "good" I try to follow but I understand just as there is true north pole and magnetic north pole and are not in the same location. My version of "good" may not be the "true good"... So I have to use others perception for sake of "check and balance". I am not perfect and I will error at times. But taking a life is my biggest fear on this earth but I think I will if it means Saving the life of a Loved One and that will be still against my Moral Compass. I am Just Human!!!!

I have no desire to legislate morality. What consenting adults do is their biz. I do not judge, to the extent I am aware of. I try not to say mean things - fail at that one, not the their face but in poking fun sometimes in an unkind manner. On the other hand I know I am critized behind my back, not to justify MY actions, just that we are all human and at times fall into poor habits. The rules of good conversation are just as good as the 10 commandments if one needs rules, mostly I treat others the way I'd like to be treated. I just happen to think I don't need a threat of dire consequences to do right.

The more I think about it, the less certain I become about he morality of my actions. I don't know how I know right from wrong. I don't know if anything guides me. I believe I've been a good person without having to question my actions or motivation. Can I absolutely prove that I'm good? Nope.

Because of cultural differences, my golden rule has changed to: do unto others as they would like.

even better

Agreed. I remember as a teenager thinking of the original golden rule, and how it didn't work when I showed my bare chest to women.

"How would I feel if...?"

-that were done to me
-that were done to my food, my environment, etc.

It's not fool-proof, but I trust it to be sufficient.

I have always presumed that because I know the difference between right and wrong, so must every body else. I think I believe that.

NZVee Level 4 Jan 6, 2018

The problem is that right and wrong is a personal thing, what we see as right and would defend, could earn the death penalty somewhere else. Infanticide went unpunished in Australia in the 60s, not that people thought it right, necessarily, just not wrong enough to be concerned about.

Ethics are a place to start, but the question is about where do they come from. All of them are learned. We are told lying is bad, but kids do it naturally to avoid correction. We are taught honesty is important but hide things that hurt others feelings. We are bombarded with accusations around morals, but they are all subjective to ones experience or belief structure. Morals are taught to enforce empathy. So in that sense, my compass is empathy. All rules would follow how it effects others negatively. On it's own it doesn't work. Collectively, it would be beautiful. Our World exist inbetween.

Well... While I do believe in some possibility of afterlife, it has nothing to do with my guidance through life in general.
Generally I follow a very simple set of rules, yet all have some exceptions:
Do not harm. (Except in defense or self-defense)
Do not restrain. (Except to avoid harm)
Help. (If asked and capable of doing so)
Improve. (If possible and feasible)

Common sense. If I feel something would hurt me for sure it will hurt others...

What's logical, what's fair, how my actions affect other people. kindness to animals, respect for everyone and the like.

MrsG Level 1 Jan 4, 2018

That's subjective 🙂

My moral compass is pointing me toward the guillotine industry.

I can relate, some days. We have some people locked up in our prisons I would see removed.

I was trying to invoke the French Revolution and my current disposition toward the .01%. There are a lot of nonviolent offenders in prisons around the world that I'd like to see released and a few prison industries that I'd like to see removed.

Do no harm is almost it but there is more. I tried to explain to my supervisor once why is motivational BS was wasted on me. I grew up in the Midwest on a farm. I am an Eagle Scout. I always had a moral compass to guide me. It was breed into me. I don't have to think about it most of the time.

As others have listed, a/the golden rule.
I try to abide with all local to national laws, considering them to be part of the social contract.
Other than these guidelines, I endeavour to do what is positive to my nature and avoid the negative.

A regular compass with the word "moral" written next to it.

Do no harm is a good starting point, I just enjoy getting on with my life and letting others do the same, my morals are a human code of conduct based on logic

Agreed, Rugglesby. I follow the golden rule....do unto others, etc.

My moral compass is good. Always paid my bills and lived within my means. Can’t say the same for some of the religious!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12658
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.