Agnostic.com

43 13

If you could only pick one...

What is your one biggest red flag in a potential mate?

Mine is when a man says he would never go to therapy because it couldn't possibly be helpful, that he's too smart for that. I think it's a sure sign of narcissism.

Nottheonlyone 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My biggest red flag is when all they talk about is them. And no matter what you say, they one-up you. I call these people me-monsters. Or one-uppers.

@JaciBea please do! haha!

Neediness.

I have an indicator as opposed to a specific thing and that is my instincts. My instincts are usually spot on, whether I choose to ignore them is another matter and quite often where I fuck things up 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 July 10, 2018

The "F" word, faith. If you have it, you don't deal with reality.

Personally, I've been subjected to therapy on 3 different occasions, twice by my mother and once by the government. In each case, the therapists themselves personally told me that I didn't need it. I'm sure there are instances where it might help, but it was literally a waste of time and money. I'm just glad that the money wasn't mine, but I'd still like that time back.

mt49er Level 7 July 10, 2018

If they're married.

No sense of humor would be second.

It certainly means he does need therapy.

godef Level 7 July 10, 2018

Bad hygiene

Well what a hard question. My first red flag would be an outer superficial one like smoking.

DeiP Level 5 July 11, 2018

Grammar errors.

Really? That's the worst thing you can think of?

I mean, I understand it can show a lack of intelligence, but I also try to leave room for dyslexic and multilingual people. My Swedish grammar is horrible...

@Nottheonlyone Technically an expression of faith is the biggest one. I figured that one was obvious because if where we are discussing this.

The next highest desire in a mate is intelligence so I have some fairly complex triggers for that sort of thing. I agree, not all grammar errors lead to a no decision as to whether I will date them. There could be linguistic complications which would cause me to ignore the grammar. It's a red flag, not a "stop all communication and move on". What I'm ultimately looking to determine is can this person have a conversation that in interested to hear.

I suppose after that it would be intolerance. That usually takes a bit of coaxing or lengthy conversation before it makes itself known.

@Nukdookum To me, anyone's biggest red flag should be a clear signal to tuck tail and run.

@Nottheonlyone As you pointed out any signal that is received could have a rational reason for happening. If the red flag is a lie: sometimes people lie about silly things until they get to know you, others are compulsive liars. Yes run from the later but perhaps giving the former a second chance could be something beautiful. If the red flag is smoking, maybe that cigarette you observed was a reaction to being nervous about meeting someone new but they are trying to quit. By running at the first red flag without trying to understand whether it's a one-off or a serious habit you may risk losing out on a wonderful relationship.

@Nukdookum Being willfully unaware of oneself is not something of consider a one-off, though. I've dealt with enough narcissists to know. I was raised by one.

Well to be more specific, my red flag would be any characteristics indicative of BPD/NPD...namely, Love bombing, triangulation, gaslighting, lies and secrets, narcissistic rage, devaluing, fake epiphanies and genuine manipulation...
No, not a simple answer. But well worth the education.

When a woman gets right up in my face and yells at me saying

You're a stupid insensitive chauvinistic ugly no personality no talent smelly sewer rat disgusting pervert then I sometimes think that may be sort of a little red flagy. I mean who wants a weirdo woman like that? Sheesh!

Talking over someone else ?

Nose-picking.

Fanaticism/zealotry, whether it’s religion, philosophy, or politics. For me, that all boils down to a serious lack of compassion, which is essential to humanity.

Snedge Level 4 July 10, 2018

bad table manners and social behaviour. Very indicative of a person's character.

(It be very cautious by an overtly flirty sexualized encounter with a younger gorgeous sexy woman that would be highly interested in me while ignoring all other men. I would think it would be some kind of set-up or something sinister since I recognized I'm not that attractive nor interesting...)

Lukian Level 8 July 11, 2018

Don't fool yourself. You're very interesting.

I've never been with a woman that wasn't borderline or NPD. Our culture is horribly abusive to women. It's terribly disheartening for the empathetic and honest men/women seeking to share a balanced relationship

You're not wrong, but that doesn't answer the question.

The absolute deal breakers are smoking, substance abuse, lack of integrity, and use of SSRI anti-depressants.

I have learned from experiences (plural used advisedly) that SSRIs literally prevent the formation of true, committed relationships.

Actually I have to disagree with your assessment. If the person seeking therapy has a high IQ, and the therapist does not, therapy has a lower rate of success. If the helper cannot out-maneuver the dysfunctional thought patterns of the helped, it doesn't work. I've actually had this conversation with past therapists, who agreed entirely with my assessment that they were unable to be of any help.

But if you haven't been in therapy, how would you know?

@Nottheonlyone okay that's a fair point. Someone who has been to therapy being 'this is likely to be unhelpful' is a more understandable perception than someone who's never actually engaged the process coming to the same conclusion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127217
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.