Agnostic.com

26 3

In your experience, do you find that people are accepting or unaccepting of your non-belief?

In our modern times, more people are identifying as non-religious. I've personally had a lot of discrimination, because of my non-belief. But, I think that it's largely geographical as to how "accepting" or "tolerant" people are.

Where do you live and do you find that people are relaxed about religion? Or, do you find that you receive a lot of discrimination for your non-belief?

silvereyes 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Once and awhile a strong athiest gets their knickers in a twist, otherwise no, hasn't been a problem.

Again the few I care about are very accepting... the rest can kiss my agnostic tush

Personally, I have not experienced any overt discrimination for my outlook on life. Moreover, I have noticed that no matter who agrees or disagrees with me it does not seem to affect my enjoyment of life nor my sleep......

I do not touch the subject in front of my parents. Mom is always saying I need god in my life. She thinks that without religion you can't have any morals. I change the subject.

I find that people get more upset with me when I say that I don't believe in astrology and crystal power, but then I live near Santa Fe, NM.

I haven't experienced outright discrimination in Florida. I don't advertise, but if I am asked, I will communicate where I stand. For the believers asking me, they generally give a nod and a "hmm." Often that's as far as the conversation goes, thankfully. I also don't bring up the subject of religion in my community or in my workplace. Ultimately, it's none of my business and more importantly, it's of no significance to me unless they are a non-believer. 😉

Well, I had people moving to another seat upon finding out I am an Atheist.

@silvereyes Actually it was in New Jersey...at a party.

When I lived in California, it wasn't as obvious, minus my own protestant handful of relatives. Most of my family was Buddhist so I had the luxury of being raised with both points of view. I did believe in god into my mid to late 20's. As I began to grow and to change, although I felt freer, I did notice the backlash from numerous people and began to feel the discrimination I had heard about. Once I moved to the midwest, Michigan, it became more apparent, the discrimination. I also live in a town know for the number of churches per square mile within our city limits. Just 6 miles south of me is a town named Saugatuck and it is a beachside, extremely liberal, gay artist community. It is also home to the biggest gay resort in all of the midwest. I live between the City of God and the Village of Gay. It is an interesting blend, but I must say, I do know I am seen as an outcast by many in this community simply because I am of no faith. I am old enough to not care, but I do realize it affects others negatively. I do have a few athiest and agnostic friends and admittedly, they, too, feel the pressures. I tell them not to be shamed into hiding and not to think their belief system is less valid than those of the god fearing. What we believe matters just as much as what the believers believe. There is no difference except we aren't trying to shove non-belief down the throats of the believers, meanwhile the believers have little to no respect for us and for our points of view. It is hypocritical and one of the major reasons religion is becoming and Has been a point of contention. I continue to strut my stuff and care little about the nay sayers. My life. My future. My choice. They can either respect that or... well, they know where to go and i can sketch out a quick map for reference if they require a more specific, concrete response. lol

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 4, 2018

eff the effing effers

@markdevenish I second, third and forth that, sir!!! hahaa!

I tend to not announce that I'm Agnostic unless the conversation comes up. My best friend is religious, but he's not an extremist freak. We both respect each other's differences and treat each other with respect even though we have very different fundamental beliefs on probably the biggest topic known to man.

I live in NY so it's not like I'm in some small religious town, so I couldn't care less what people think about my non-belief. I still wouldn't give a shit if I lived in a small town, but I would probably try to stay away from more people if that was the case. I'm not one to care about being accepted into a group for the most part.

One of my occupations has been songwriter/recording artist/musician. I released/published a song in 2014 that offered an alternative to the concept of eternal Soul. That song has been quite the conversation and confrontation starter. Mission accomplished and lesson learned. I expected some pushback but I was surprised by the intensity of ferocious hatred. Don't poke the Bear if you're not ready to wrestle with it! Lol

Is it on YouTube? Info on the song please, I'd like to hear it.

@Godlesscarl Yes it is on you tube. If you don't mind can I send you a message with my artist name? Because I didn't join this site to promote my music or other businesses.

When it finally comes up, I find my friends tend to be non-believers. I don't think I have ever lost a real friend over this.

I don't really have to talk about it but mostly accepting.

accepting but they've usually met me beforehand.

I live in the "toe" of Louisiana, heavy christian conservative area. MY NEPHEW told me yesterday that I was going to hell because I don't believe in God.

show him the hubble photos

@markdevenish That wouldn't help in my nephew's case, he is what I call ARROGANT. Arrogance is a refusal to learn. Life is one LONG lesson. He will not learn a different perspective on anything.

I live on a small island in the UK with a population of 140,000, My experience is that most people couldn't care less, most of the religious have a quiet personal faith. The times that I am considered an evil baby eating heathen and treated as such are usually late in life converts, the ones that feel because they've been "saved" I must also be "saved" my problem is I enjoy disappointing them and pointing out flaws in their logic. I however have travelled quite a bit and I know where and when to keep my mouth shut for my own safety.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 4, 2018

People assume I'm Muslim because I'm brown, so few ask. Statistically when someone bothers to ask, they are ecstatic to have found another atheist. This is because the bigots are largely religious people who are terrified that I'm a Muslim terrorist and don't ask. Sometimes they ask and are even more afraid that I am an atheist. I can only assume it's because they'd rather die to a terrorist than have an atheist "kill their god."

I have dated a couple of gentleman of Middle Eastern heritage and of Indian heritage. Oddly, they were constantly confused for one another, I do not understand how or why. The assumption always was that if my significant other was "Brown" as you stated, then clearly I must be an accomplice and how long until we were going to bomb their digs! It was insane how much racism we received. I recall times when my boyfriend would walk away and as I sat alone, STRANGERS would come up to me cautiously and inquire about the intentions of said boyfriend. I was so offended. All 4 of them were athiest too, which is even funnier. The ASSumption is always, "oh muslims. must be ready to take some innocent lives." (sigh) If and when I had the opporunity to respond to a question regarding the religious outlook of my boyfriend(s), it is true, whenever I would note we were athiest, the terror in their eyes only seemed to intensify. It was ridiculous.

@silvereyes That's the thing. Most people who engage with me are atheists themselves. It makes perfect sense that you approach people without that bigotry.

Very little discrimination, though I don't socialize a whole lot. People I do hang out with, and work with have professional backgrounds, so I find that it makes them lean a bit to the left. I live in a small village with a cross section of people, and we're about an hour from a large urban center (Ottawa, Canada's capital).

While admitting "atheist" has rarely turned any heads around here, I'm quickly learning that saying "Satanist" or "I've joined the Church of Satan" causes quite a stir, even amongst other agnostic/atheist types. Wild.

My gym teacher said, But she is a good person, isn't she? Wondering if only Christians could be good. My very religious new friend said, "Why be good if you don't believe in Heaven. " Evidently really wanting to be 'bad' but afraid of losing heaven. But they, being my friends accepted me - just avoided any talk of religion, church, prayer and Jesus - which suited me.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 4, 2018

Completely accepting or accepting enough to basically say "cool" and shut up lol.

Here in N.Y.I know very few non believers .I am not open about my beliefs because I do not feel I have any reason to tell any body except a few close friends and my immediate family . I find it is useless to discuss these issues with most people because they are not interested in intelligent discussions concerning this subject

I grew up in SLC, and it was an issue. Everyone I met wanted to know my religious affiliation. As soon as I moved to California, that changed. No one cared. I’ve lived in Texas for ten years and I have yet to be asked about my religious affiliation. No one seems to care, unless you’re on a dating site.

I live outside Waco, actually. Waco used to be closed bastion of the Baptists. Now it’s more like Dallas. Austin is something else. The Colorado river is a notorious get together for surreptitious sexual encounters.

In my case people get all confused because my last name is very religious. I have fun with this.

In my case people get all confused because my last name is very religious. I have fun with this.

It depends, and sometimes is surprising. Most people in my locale, despite how rural it is, don't care very much — unless they happen to be related to me, in which case some think it's their duty to give me a hard time or save my soul or something. But, several years ago, I was speaking with one of my cousins and something about religion came up and I mentioned that I'm an atheist. I was unsure of his response because he's a fundamentalist Christian, but he replied nonchalantly, "Oh, that's fine, everyone's an atheist unless they follow the Bible." He went on to criticize all non-fundamentalist Christians, so what I found interesting was how narrow he was in what he considers acceptable faith, yet how open he was to the fact that I have no faith. By contrast, one of my coworkers who knows I'm nonreligious gave me a Christmas present this year: "God's Not Dead" on DVD. [rolling eyes]

@silvereyes Yeah, seriously. It's a silly perspective, but what can you expect from someone who believes in such nonsense. lol

It depends on the person and the situation.

I once worked with a co-worker who was one of those hypocritical Christians we all are familiar with try and berate me over my non-belief whenever she could. I never pointed out her hypocrisy. I won't stoop to that level, but as they say karma can be a bitch. Life and her god have not treated her well.

karma is a crock too. happenstance rules

@markdevenish ...yeah, but it rolls off the tongue easier 😉

I don't think about how others feel about my atheism. If they have a problem with it, then that is something that they will have to deal with. If someone finds comfort in believing that there is a God who will make their dreams come true after they die, I have no problem with that, and likewise, expect the same courtesy of them for my lack of belief.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12739
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.