35 4

What works for you when you have a cold?

I have a sore throat, stuffy nose, hacking cough, and body aches. Summer colds are the worst. Been getting lots of sleep, sucking on zinc lozenges, taking extra vitamin C, drinking hot tea and chicken soup and Theraflu (not together, ew), and at this rate I'll try anything if it works.

By bleurowz
Options Favorite Like

35 comments

You just have to ride it out. Treat the symptoms is all you can do. Your immune system is working as those symptoms are the battle going on in your body. Feel better soon.

Countrywoman Level 7 July 12, 2018

I use vicks vapor humidifier, works great! I find the more otc drugs I take, the worse I get but take Aleve for aches.

Presley1209 Level 6 July 11, 2018

You know you would think since I have an auto-immune disease and I take Methotrexate which suppresses my immune system that I would have a problem with colds but I have not been sick in years

Drsmash253 Level 5 July 11, 2018

My chicken soup (loads of garlic), Aleve and Claritin. Right as rain, next day.

SheBeSecular Level 5 July 11, 2018

When I first feel a cold coming on I try vitamin C, vitamin A, zinc, echinacea, and olive leaf extract, and 50% of the time the cold just disappears. I recommend lipospheric vitamin C sold by Livon Labs. It is a bit expensive, but it is the only form of oral vitamin C that is absorbed as well as intravenous vitamin C.

doug6352 Level 7 July 11, 2018

Lemsips and sleep.

Ellatynemouth Level 8 July 11, 2018

I don't know how true it is, but I hear that saunas can help.

Piece2YourPuzzle Level 7 July 11, 2018

Grate some ginger, squeeze the juice out of it all, then mix the juice in some Coca Cola and boil it. Drink it piping hot.

PerbeMayhaps Level 6 July 11, 2018

I may try that.

With a sore throat I would always visit my MD for a strep test. Better safe than sorry.

doug6352 Level 7 July 11, 2018

If it doesn't go away or gets worse I may do that.

Paracetamol is the wonder drug. Just makes me feel generally better with a cold. Also, a very tall glass of Stones Ginger Wine mixed with Scotch and just a splash of Ginger Ale. Then off to bed.

AlmostVulcan Level 4 July 11, 2018

Cognac.

Hebert54 Level 7 July 11, 2018

I've suffered colds and allergies my entire life the kind turn into sinus infections and bronchial problems, I know all the home remedies, trust me. I've been to more ERT dr's and ER's than you can imagine.

Here's the ONLY thing that works: Grapefruit Extract Oil (it's a white bottle with a red cap) and it's very bitter, you drop 5-10 drops in a glass of water, stir and drink every hour. It dissolves mucus, makes your body alkaline and kills infections and bacteria.

Forget honey, it makes it worse, never do honey, as it feeds bacteria and makes it worse.
Forget OTC, they only dull the pain, plus they're full of sugar.
Forget Orange juice and soda - full of sugar.
Basically stay away from sugar.

My method works. Every time. No matter what.

Redcupcoffee Level 7 July 11, 2018

I'll have to try it. A friend also recommended this to me as well.

@bleurowz Do some searching about it, you'll see what I mean.

A little information about colds. From what I have read, there are about 100 strains of the cold virus. When you have a cold, you become immune to that particular strain. Once you have had every strain, you are then immune from them all and will never have a cold again. I am 80 and I have not had a cold in years, for what that is worth.

jlynn37 Level 8 July 11, 2018

Interesting. That may explain why I would get a cold almost every year and then stopped for a while. This is my first cold in like five years.

@bleurowz Hopefully, it will be your last.

About 1 week of time plus decongestants.

jlynn37 Level 8 July 11, 2018

I use Echinacea in a tincture. With goldensral extract. About a dozen drops in a glass of water. Then do it like it was a shot of something 100 +proof of alcohol. It does nothing for the symptoms. But when everyone around me is sick and I get their bug. I seem to get better quicker than those using things to treat the symptoms not the problem.

Stevil Level 8 July 11, 2018

Get well.

GipsyOfNewSpain Level 8 July 11, 2018

1 1/2 glass water+ jaggery 1 1/2 table spoon+ 5shallots+ 1/2 tea spoon dry ginger or fresh ginger+ 1/2 tea spoon crushed pepper, boil and reduce it to 1 glass, and drink with little hot. . (Remember it is a spicy home remedy for fever and cold) for best results consume very light foods for 2 days, consume foods like thin gruels or soups.

nafi Level 4 July 11, 2018

I may try it.

We here in Africa are blessed with an abundance of elephants, some of us burn its dung (indoors) and take deep inhalations of the smoke, we do the same with dirty, dusty, old cloths. Results guaranteed in 18 hours.

JustChase Level 2 July 11, 2018

Send some over!

Whiskey.
And my wife taking care of pooooor sick me.
smile009.gif

bigpawbullets Level 8 July 11, 2018

I have a method for getting rid of the common cold in less than three days, but I can promise you that it's no fun.

At least three times a day, mix 1/2 cup apple cider vinager with 1/2 cup water. Add 1 Tsp. powdered garlic and mix all ingredients. Hold your nose and get it down your throat as fast as you can. It will hurt. I call this mixture The Devil's Butthole, but it will kill the shit out of anything that is flowing through your blood stream.

Also, follow this method once an hour to help your sinuses and lymph nodes stay drained.....

webbew1 Level 7 July 11, 2018

Helpful!

Morphine drip and wait it out.

Netochka Level 4 July 11, 2018

Where can I get one?

Raw honey + lemon + hot tea or
Raw honey + milk + hot tea or
Raw honey + hot milk + baking soda

Any combination of above 3 + shot or couple of vodka will resolve it quickly

Morganfreeman Level 7 July 11, 2018

Gonna try these.

Water, sleep and time. If I have to work I take some meds to cover it up, and function better and wash my hands more often than usual.

MsAl Level 6 July 11, 2018

Your immune system.

Belrieve Level 5 July 11, 2018

I'm going through this , too . Welcome to the club .

Cast1es Level 7 July 11, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!