Agnostic.com

15 0

Could you go back to religion?

If you was giving the opportunity to go back to religion, could you? Especially with what you know now.

WeaZ 7 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No f-king way.

I could not go back to unsubstantiatable beliefs, but that doesn't rule out religion. Religion does have value, generically speaking: it can provide belonging and refuge. That is always attractive to a hypersocial creature like a human. In fact, I have explored the local post-Christian Unitarian Universalist congregation, in pursuit of just those ends. Unfortunately I find they substitute politics for religious dogma as a basis for cliquishness and insularity -- at least the local congregation does. Other possibilities might include some secular subset of Buddhism or Taoism, or maybe certain Quaker congregations. None of those [sub]religions impose belief in a deity, or at least tolerate those who don't believe.

I also briefly flirted with the local Episcopals. They technically require assent to the Nicene Creed, but are so loose about it that I think you could in many such congregations be benignly tolerated even for being openly atheistic. And you could certainly pose as a liberal theist without difficulty. That church has nice architecture, a good pipe organ with a skilled player, nice after-service socializing and you could even participate in the eucharist ritual by simply claiming to have been baptized at some point in your life by any church at all. In exchange for that minor sleight of hand you could participate in many worthwhile charitable activities in the community, too.

At the end of the day though none of this is worth it to me just for the abstract knowledge that someone might wonder what happened to me if I quit showing up for activities. Is that really getting at the problem of isolation or alienation or loneliness? Not really. I've come to the realization that these things can only be resolved between my own ears, with the friendship and loyalty that only I can provide to myself.

I can't go BACK to religion, as I was never religious. If there was evidence I'd evaluate it and act accordingly, but then that wouldn't be religion, would it?

Some people have asked me what it would take to accept Jesus as my personal savior, and I said a frontal lobotomy.

If you mean Christianity or any other Abrahamic religion, then no. Even if some evidence were to present itself in favour of a Christian god, there’d have to be some serious discussion about the deep problems with the Christian religion.

But there are parts of Buddhist beliefs that I accept even now, so I wouldn’t say I’m totally disconnected from religion right now. It’s just that Buddhism and atheism are largely compatible.

Denker Level 7 July 12, 2018

If God personally asked me to I guess I would have to, because then I guess hell would be real too.

Carin Level 8 July 12, 2018

No. It’d be like going back to believe in Santa clause again.

If there was undeniable proof of God, I could return to theism. However, I could not return to the established religions.

Why????

Never!!!

If GOD (that's DOG spelled backwards) were to 'make himself known as they say' then I would have a real quandary on my hands because if he is anything like that homicidal maniac in the book then I couldn't bend a knee. That said I must say that my evil twin has toyed with the idea of going back to church just to seriously fuck with them and their totally stupid shit. It would take a fairly big commitment in time and energy and the point would be lost on most of them but it would be fun to see the looks on the faces of some of the more sanctimonious ones as I outed them for the shams that they are.

Nope!

If they ever found irrefutable truth I would.
So no

Not with what I know now. But right now I don't know what I will know later.

Nope

Sirena Level 7 July 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128696
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.