Agnostic.com

25 2

TOTAL ATHIEST WORLD?
WOULD are world be significantly better if every one was athiest. Or would are tribal,bickering,racist tendencies still surface to create wars,famine,pollution,racism,etc?

Nemosson 6 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A lot of religious wars would have been eliminated. Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, Holocaust, etc.

All the bad stuff people think will still exist, they just won't be able to hide behind their religion and use it as an excuse, So I would imagine these racists etc would be publicly ridiculed for their beliefs and shunned from society, however i'd like to think they'd be eductaed. There would also be less science denial and more investment in the sciences thus improving pollution reducing technologies.
Tribalism is slowly disappearing as people realise that all humans are human and the internet is helping educate people about world cultures and so there is less of the fear of the unknown that caused the differences between tribes. I don't feel that these negatives are "tendencies" but ill educated people making poor decisions made on their misunderstandings.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 5, 2018

I think we'd all be better off if we approached problems using science rather than religion. Look at how conservatives are constantly trying to solve imaginary problems because of their flawed belief system. We spend so much time fighting over abortion and trans bathrooms and LGBT rights all because of ancient ideas about morality in ancient books. Religion creates a distraction which prevents humanity from focusing on our most pressing problems. If people come together and use rational arguments as opposed to religious ones, so much more can be accomplished.

I don't think that, by any measure, one could say that all of our problems would be solved without religion. That being said, so many wars are started because 'my invisible friend told me to kill you' , or because people are so concerned with their afterlife, they forget to live a good life here.

Getting rid of religion would be fantastic, but its not a solution to all our problems. There is still greed, avarice, bigotry, racism, and general hatred. And fixing those problems takes a lot more work.

I think some will always find a reason to harp on the differences between peoples. However, without religion a lot of that crap would end. 🙂

I think the human species has always sought a GOD However I do believe presently, the god will be substituted with the wireless aided mind. God is truly just a panacea for the cure to afraid.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

It might be like someone on meth who by nature is a real asshole. Without the meth they would still be an asshole but less so. Either that or religion is a symptom of some deeper problem with humanity. Either way I say it's worth trying.

People would live to be nearly 200 yrs old.
Educational levels and SAT scores would skyrocket
Capitalism would give way to Cooperatives
War would effectively cease

We evolved competing for resources. I think conflicts would still exist, but we' d probably have more rational reasons for those conflicts.

It wouldn't matter. Human nature would still take hold. We already have tons of things we are divisive about without religion. The biggest reason why so many wars are fought in modern times is because of economics. Religion has nothing to do with why the nut in North Korea starves his people. Big business perpetuates pollution. Racism is probably as old as religion.

Cool, you actually answered specific to the varied subjects in the question. Thanks

Can I just ask people on here about their definition of atheism.
Is Atheism the absence of belief in the existence of deities?
So Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. (atheists,org)

Is that the general consensus here?

I guess actively denying the existence of anything requires proof..

there are a lot of threads on this site about this. it seems there is a lot of variation

@btroje to be honest I had the same thought when I saw it myself. A lack of belief means you don't have the belief, so you don't believe. Atheism is a bad word, maybe I am not an atheist. I am a person who does not have a belief a God etc whatever that means due to lack of sufficient evidence to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

religion is not a cause, but an aspect of society. Human's will be humans. Sometimes I wonder if Atheism isn't a reaction as opposed to a belief, in which case, I think of atheism as I do anarchy, the interim between new beliefs. An Atheistic world would be awaiting a new messiah. Now that would be fun.

Yes, I think atheism is a reaction, as many people I have spoken who claimed to be atheists say that God doesn't exist, he just doesn't lol. No proof required. That statement as annoying as I find it is a statement made without any proof. Any statement or claim requires proof beyond a bla bla.

The truth arrow goes one way, there are some things which you simply cannot prove, and hence cannot make such a statement.

The people who make statements about the existence of God are the ones with the onus of proof upon them, not disbelievers!

(bit of a rant sorry hehe)

Depends on why you assume there would be an atheist world. If we would have arrived at a point where all people would be atheist based on rational thought and insight, I think the world would be overall better. But if it would be a world were people are like they are now, all the religious bullshit would probably just be replaced by some other bullshit, only that this other bullshit would not be called religion. Would be something like flat earth, anti-vaxxing, chemtrails, homeopathy, racism, nationalism, belief in some odd ideology etc.

I try not to assume,if possible. I suspect that if our species continues,it will hopefully evolve past the need or belief in myth and superstition.

Oh, I've heard similar debates if we were all Christians nonsense.
If you think that all of us believing the same way you do would solve the problem of the world. There's a reason why there's a saying that goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I absolutely don't think the world would be better if everybody thought and felt as I do.

@Nemosson but that's what you're asking for. It won't be be good if we're alleged religious, or won't be good if we're all atheist.

Seems relevant to your discussion.

@sirbikesalot06 your reference to everybody believing what I believe. I never said shit about what I believe. See ya.

I like to believe yes...but human nature is unpredictable...

I think conflict is part of human nature. We'd still have issues. Though the larger ones might just be different issues.

Duke Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

Good question.. My experience and observations around here have had me wondering the same thing… Are we wiser about everything because we’re wiser about one thing? And if we agree about one thing, would that transfer to everything?

I suspect the most important aspects of life would be in far (FAR) better hands, greatly outnumbered at least by those willing to consider a wider view. But when it came to specifics, it’d be like sibling rivalries are, petty squabbles in every direction…

Varn Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

Very insightful and well spoken...thanks, I agree on all points.

No, an atheist world is not going to solve all our problems. As a species, we will still make enough mistakes to give us nightmares.

Are? Really dude,cmon....our. sorry.

Considering most on this website are left wing liberals I doubt the world would be any better. Stalin and Mao Zedong were both atheist along with Pol Pot from Cambodia and a host of others and they killed millions.

Well some of those communist governments were non religious and they weren't exactly winners. Then again communism was their religion in a sense.

Watch this; Just before he died:

is this Hichens?

Dont you just love it... Your talking about MAN. A world with out religions ever happening? That's thousands of years they could of put the book down. No.... 1. They said they would mumble as they prayed. 2. They said they spoke in other tongues. What mystery!!! Let's try it and see what happens... And they took it and they ran with it and here it is... its a money maker!!!

I see no reason to believe that world would be much better or much worse compared to our world.

Spend a few minutes on the internet and you can find stuff just as awful as what you find on the pulpit. Just look at the alt-right and the redpillers. They found plenty of ways to be awful with no help from faith.

It's a start.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12963
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.