Agnostic.com

47 6

Why should we respect religion, when they don't respect atheist?

To many times do I see nonbelievers asking fellow atheist/agnostics, to respect a persons religious beliefs.
why would I respect these religions that condemn me, my atheist position and the lack or respect they show to other religions?

MichaelSpinler 8 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Human beings should be respected as human beings. There is nothing to respect about living as though mythology was real. There is no reason to respect anyone for holding false beliefs. Atheist hold position of believing in what is believable. So theist wish to disrespect atheist simply for not complying with their mythical beliefs which is far less respectable than just holding those beliefs. With this being said, I do not respect any of their beliefs and am quite closer about that, but I do make it clear I respect them as humans.

I don't respect religion but I have to respect the believer as much as he respects me.

gearl Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

@zeliasgrand I agree completely.

I don't respect religious beliefs but, I do respect the people who have them. I think that, if we're ever going to convince believers that we are just as moral as they are, we need to take the high ground sometimes. Be the bigger person.

Duke Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

I am curious as to how you can respect people who are determined to denounce SCIENTIFIC evidence to believe a fairy tale while denigrating others based on their gender, sexual orientation, political views, etc.?? That makes no sense to me.

@ReadyforaChange That's a fair question. But, in my opinion, it's like not respecting the mentally handicapped just because they aren't as intelligent as I. I respect the person. I respect their right to believe whatever they chose to believe. I only get my back up about it when they start trying to enforce their beliefs onto my everyday life. Then, I have a problem.

@ReadyforaChange In other words, they are free to believe what they want to believe. Our Constitution guarantees them (and me) that right. They can worship whoever they want in whatever church they choose. But keep it out of my schools. And keep their bigoted and discriminating god out of our laws and legal system.

Right Duke but they ARE infiltrating our government and schools. So now what?

@ReadyforaChange Another good question. We fight back. But, we don't fight back with their hatred and bigotry. We fight back with the message that THEY should be using. Harmony. Acceptance. Peace. Love for one another. Call me John Lennon but, I'm not the only one.

@ReadyforaChange If you're looking for real, actionable items, it has to start at a local level.I know a lot of people who are fed up with the two-party system in our government and they would love to see change by bringing a third party into power. It's never going to happen at the national level until it starts at a local level. Run for office. Pick a third party that fits the direction you think this country needs to go and run. Get elected. Do the right things after you get the job.That's how we make change. Grassroots changes at a local level. Once that happens in enough places, a third party becomes a more viable option at the national level because people have seen changes in their communities. Jill Stein or Gary Johnson might be good candidates but, they (nor anyone else in a third party) will ever get elected to a major political office unless people see results by that party at the local level. Once they do, they'll get behind the party.

We don't subscribe to a deity to tell us how to interact with others. I try to be respectful as that is what I have decided is proper behavior. That being said, if they push too hard; I will push back. I treat them as I would a child. I would never take pleasure in telling a child "there is no santa", nor do I take pleasure in telling people "there is no god". But, if a child was doing harm to others for the benefit of santa, I would tell them the facts. Same for believers.

Well, if we always do more of the same unto others as they do unto us we would do noting but nice things for one another, right?

I respect others as long as they aren't infringing on my life. Because respecting others is more about me, and the life I want to lead, than it is about them, or their beliefs. My respect (or, as I've been known to say, 'agree to disagree'😉 is not a decision that they actually deserve that respect.

@MichaelSpinler yes and no; they have their rights as well. While I do not agree with their viewpoint, respect is a two-way street. I will not gain any respect by disrespecting others.

I think it's courteous to respect the person. Not necessarily his/her beliefs.

you were at max 6 years old when your parents first explained to you that two wrongs don't make a right.

I don’t know of any credible philosophy that asks us to respect other people’s beliefs. We are asked to respect their right to believe as they choose (within the law) and I think that’s a very good ideal to uphold, if we want to maintain the right to believe what we choose.

skado Level 9 Jan 5, 2018

Do you actually respect believers? I "listen" to them if I can't leave....but my brain is far away from whatever they may be saying.

Respect is earned. If anyone demands it of me they're not likely to receive it. The best I can do is tolerate their existence.

There are no reasons to respect an idea over any other kind of idea. I disrespect a lot of ideas but respect some of those that believe the ideas.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 5, 2018

Respect is NOT a Right it is something that needs to earned and Religions have never actually done anything at all throughout their history that even remotely resembles anything that could be classed as deserving of respect.

There is no need to respect religion any more than respecting palm reading, astrology or other superstition. But sometimes the religious confuse disrespect for their belief and disrespect for them as a person.

Geoff Level 5 Jan 5, 2018

Respect the believer not the belief. I learned that.

After watching a documentary following a group of creationists being brought to different scientists who discuss the evidence against literal interpretation of the bible, I began to understand their state of mind.
A)The religion becomes a person's identity; a means of maintaining self worth and purpose.
B)Assumptions that the entire book is literal are required for belief.
C)No alternative mind set is conceivable due to indoctrination
Therefore;
A) Contrary information is a direct attack on identity
B) Any part of religious text that is not literal would mean the whole text is hearsay
C) Lack of any conceivable alternative mindset would inevitably lead to an identity crisis.

Basically it's a mental "survival instinct" protected by confirmation bias, mockery and denial of facts, and intentional ignorance. Albeit, there is an urge to be disrespectful to these people I don't find it in anyway conducive. Kind of like poking a bear when he already is caged.

Interesting. What was the documentary called?

@Jsxwi conspiracy road trip: creationism. It's almost a reality show but if you put yourself in the creationists' shoes you start to get it.

Do NOT do to others what you would NOT have done unto you.

If they're disrespecting you then I suppose they don't mind being disrespected in return, but don't go out of your way to disrespect someone based on the notion that they'll disrespect you.

Of course that creed can also be taken in favor of just not disrespecting anyone, even those that disrespect you, because YOU don't want to be disrespected so why would want to disrespect another?

And someone may have said something like this already but I didn't read the comments first (shame I know); it's not about who they are or what they do in regards to giving respect, it's about who we are as an atheist and if we start retaliating we risk becoming no better than the religious extremists. We really will turn the other cheek because it's not worth the violence or energy and continue to take action to improve what we can instead of just taking offense and engaging in meaningless debate of the validity of cherry picked texts.

I can actually respect others religious beliefs my problem is I cannot respect stupid. Their deluded belief that there is a supreme being does not bother me but, believing in the stupid absurd stories as historical facts give me a break. I am a big boy I can stand up to their condemnation of me being an atheist and if need be dish out enough mocking ridicule to send them running back to their churches with a head full of doubts.

Like poster-show ridiculousness of the Ark story. I don't ask for fights-I'm polite till they hurt someone. Characters look like they come from Harry Potter not the book.

The Christian religion seems to have followers that have trouble dealing with nonbelievers. Most can't debate rationally and they almost always cite the Bible as evidence! I'm the end, they worry about me going to hell and my salvation. I have never met one that was worried about me paying my bills !

People deserve (and must earn) respect, not ideas. If a belief cannot hold up to scrutiny, it doesn't deserve to be held in any positive regard. I have no respect for unsubstantiated or simply harmful ideas that do nothing but hold social progress back.

I give all people the neutral respect they fundamentally deserve until they have proven to me otherwise. Ideas and beliefs don't get that liberty, it's like respecting someones belief in santa clause or racial superiority.

I ridicule religion every chance I get. It deserves it for its evil and prejudice teachings against anybody that doesn’t agree with its teaching. I’ve been threatened so many times that I deserve to burn in Hell forever and I’ve dealt with bigot religious people, saying that they weren’t going to talk to me until I gave my life to the Lord. You give respect, you get respect in my opinion.

To me, it's about showing respect for them as another human being and also showing that we are above them. But I do act on my emotions a lot and my anger towards people acting the way they do gets me ready to fight and wish meteors on their house with them inside. Lol! But I try to be a good person and just turn my nose up and walk the other way, so to speak.

Lol just when I thought I was the only one who get super pissed at these types of people.

@EmeraldJewel definitely not the only one!

The religions aren't condemning you, it's the small minded people who represent that religion, and you will find small minded people who are atheists, too.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 6, 2018

You have to handle the mentally ill (religious) with kid gloves or they may become violent.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12977
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.