Agnostic.com

27 10

How genuine is your smile?

I often wonder if people realize that some smiles really look forced. Have you ever seen someone angry smiling? It's almost frightening.

Do you smile even when you don't feel like smiling?

Stacey48 8 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A real smile is in the eyes.

I’m a pretty happy person overall. Rarely smile if I’m not happy. My face is SUPER easy to read

Mine also.

I have no control over my smile. I break into a smile at any happy thought, whether I'm alone or with people. Lucky for me, I'm usually happy. But when something is angering me, I simply can not fake a smile. My smile muscles simply won't work when I'm angry. My facial expressions are always a dead giveaway to my emotions at the time.

I read or heard a long time ago that a naturally occurring smile will always produce nose crinkles. And, in my worldly (ha!) travels, I've found that to be true -- especially in photos.

One of my pet peeves is people who have their picture taken and their mouth is "smiling," but their eyes and nose are not.

I am guessing that some people (usually women) think that their more natural smiles show more wrinkles. They DO. And, it is so much more attractive anyway. That's why I prefer candid shots of people. Or catching people while they are cracking up, even when posed.

Nose crinkles?

@Cassiopeia See here: [thebodylanguagepro.com]

@BlueWave my nose never crinkles when I smile, not even when I laugh.

@Cassiopeia In that case, I shall write to the author and researchers or whoever made that stuff up and tell them they are wrong, wrong, wrong with that crinkle nonsense! What were they thinking putting that lie out there, the bastards them?

@BlueWave lol... to be fair to them, they only said ‘may’!

One of the things that I've been working on in my therapy (I have schizo-affective disorder) I am most of the time freaked out be being around a few people at once. So one of the things I've been doing in baby steps is when I take my long walks to the corner store I'll wave, and smile and say 'Hi" to people coming the other way. It used to be real hard to do that and I found myself having to talk myself into it from pretty far away.
But after some time I've go to be a lot better, and the smile is much easier to give, which not only makes me feel a little better, but it also gives me a sense of progress.

One can smile with ones face at any time or situation but the eyes will betray you.

I smile all the time. When i look up at the sky i smile. When i look at nature i smile. Whenever I see beauty I smile. I even caught myself smiling at the gym today when i was watching the news about protests in England. My profile name says it all. 🙂

@Stacey48 Thanks this is a good and positive post. I smiled while I read your sweet compliment to me! Here is a smile4u 🙂

@Stacey48 So happy and pretty. You must get them a lot. 😉

@Stacey48 Yes I see a lot of them reflected as well. But I always try to give more than I get. It's kind of a rule I live by. So here is another one. 🙂

Look at my profile. I ask you, is that not a genuine smile?

@Stacey48 ?

Is the only one I ever had.... 64 years and counting.... unique and genuine to me.

That is a good smile.

@NoMagicCookie you deserve a magic cookie!

Yes but only because I intend it to look sinister or snarky at least. I have a perpetual smile that rarely gets derailed but when it does my smile definitely bares witness to my dark side.

I am a smiler. I smile a lot. It's genuine. But then sometimes, I just snap. 😀

@Stacey48 Usually. If the circumstances are appropriate. Most people would control angry emotions towards their boss.

I got lucky. People think I am angry even when I am smiling. They say my face doesn't change. They fail to look into the eyes to see the difference.

I smile when I’m happy? Apparently I have a resting hate face, but people have complimented my smile.

Try it! You'll like it.

godef Level 7 July 13, 2018

no

btroje Level 9 July 13, 2018

No I don't. I think there was a substantial improvement in my smile after I got all my implants in. ?

zeuser Level 9 July 13, 2018

No

Angry smile, Seen it.

I am occasionally guilty of a sinister smile when theists proudly asserts a profoundly obtuse assertion before I engage in debunking their assertion. - - although, I have learned to try to refrain from that expression because it generally makes the theists run away before I can fully decimate their assertion. - - literally I have had some run away. Occasionally before I can even start debating but usually after they begin to see their argument take on water.

Smile when I don't feel like smiling? Not often, such a smile is it is by definition artificial.

For me smiling is generally an automatic response to positive encounters with good people. . . . Or really good news.

Like some others here, I wear my heart on my sleeve. So when I smile, I TRULY smile. My eyes light up, the whole thing. It's normally when I see a friend, or get a picture I've been trying to get (that normally involves animals and/or Nature).
My only exception to this is when I'm working at the movie theater. It's standard protocol to smile and say "Thank You". My co-workers always crack up 'cause as soon as the customer looks away my "smile" is gone. Those that know me can tell when I'm faking it.

At work, or when I don’t want drama. But I tend to get quiet more than anything.

Occasionally for social purposes. But not very often, I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve so to speak

t1nick Level 8 July 13, 2018

i smile when im happy

I smile when I'm pleased etc.My friends can tell my mood by looking at my eyes.

Coldo Level 8 July 13, 2018

Now that I think about it, I’m not a really smiley person. I laugh a lot more often than I smile.

Hermit Level 7 July 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:129930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.