Agnostic.com

36 2

Has Christianity ruined crosses for you?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes I always worry now, when I nail someone up, that they're going to be knocking on my door three days later! 😀

Pete66 Level 6 July 13, 2018

No, crucifixion did that.

They have always been freaky to me. And that's coming from a weirdo...

@Donotbelieve
Hey! I resemble that remark!! 😐

@Donotbelieve
I'm telling on you! (Typed really loudly) Donotbelieve is being honest at me!!!

@Donotbelieve
But... But.... But.... Mooooooooooom!

@Donotbelieve You made my nose run all over the screen. 😟

@Donotbelieve Hahahaha! Ok meaniehead.

Nope. I cross many things and I also like this:

I absolutely love that poster Malcolm in the Middle was one of my favorite shows

All I see are lower case t’s

Are you kidding? It is a instrument of torture.

nope...I collect them and Madonnas still because I like the art and the iconic symbol...

I never ask out a woman wearing them as jewellery

take out the second "L" just to make sure.

I like them if they are upside down.

LEPeff Level 8 July 13, 2018

Me, too!

Given that the Christian cross represents a fast-tracked version of a relatively common and brutal Roman criminal execution method, no. It's already pretty horrific and ironic before you even add the concept of sacrificing a demigod to appease mob mentality and political influences.

No way, I love hot cross buns......

madmac Level 7 July 14, 2018

Only if its got a bloke stuck on it.

They always give me the creeps. I get the same exact feeling looking at pictures of those medevil torture devices. Yeesh. Might as well wear a guillotine around your neck. . Pun intended.

I never had a thing for crosses.

Without Christianity, they would just be lower case T's. Then I'd wonder why there was occasionally a dude nailed to it.

Hell no. I have one tied the handlebars of my bike. The Nazi's sure ruined swastikas for me though.

What? Did I spend any time, ever, thinking about them? Do NOT understand this question!

I’ve not come across many non-Christian meanings for the cross, so I don’t see how it could be ‘ruined’ exactly. Perhaps if I had been a 0 AD Roman it would have some kind of meaning but I doubt it would be a good one.

Denker Level 7 July 14, 2018

Always a reason to worship.

JacarC Level 8 July 13, 2018

Nope. I like the old Celtic ones. They kinda have a cool Metal and Goth vibe.

Not really ruined, but I see it for it's reality now: a torture device. I attach no magical propensities to it. Just a tiny replica of a torture device.

I always liked the simple cross as a design. If it wasn't a symbol for something l have disdain for, l might wear one.

Nope it makes for a great camouflage when I'm surrounded by religious people. I also know their language so I can talk my way to safety.(real talk)

Whether you want to admit it or not we live in a judeo-christian society surround us regardless of what we might want the only point that matters is what significance we choose to place upon them . What are we going to do refuse to use because it says in God we trust on it . We as atheists must except that icons are part of our culture

m16566 Level 7 July 13, 2018

What value does the cross have outside of a religious context?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:130045
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.