Agnostic.com

25 2

Who speaks up when friends post religious beliefs?

I have a couple of friends who constantly post their strong religious beliefs and talk about "the glory of god" and how "Jesus was the greatest man to walk this earth" or " I would love to move to (insert third world country here) and do god's work". I pause and think about saying something snarky but scroll past and say nothing. I value them as friends and know it would be pointless because they are too ingrained in their beliefs and anything I could say would not register with them. I so want to comment with the ?emoji, though.

helionoftroy 7 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sometimes friendships are more important. If it’s someone I can care less and if they said something about me not believing - oh I’m going to be snarky AF and annoy the heck out of them.

But when people I love constantly post religious stuff, it does not bother me. I mean if it did, and I said something- it’s not different than them saying something about my atheism. In my circle everyone knows what I am and vice versa, but we don’t make a big deal about it. It’s like sex - not anyone else’s business unless I bring it up and ask for opinions 🙂

There are more important things that affect our lives negatively, like people (aka politicians) who use religion to divide/control/manipulate masses and actually turn us against each other. I’ll prefer to argue about the wigged orange who is distructive rather than argue about the invisible sky .

I only speak up when they are talking about “needing god back in schools” or in government establishments. Pretty much anything that goes against the 1st Amendment. Otherwise, their not really stepping on toes and it doesn’t bother me that they post religious stuff. Even though I will sit there with my head in my hands after reading some of their posts.

*they’re

I have religious friends. We don't go there.

I'm very careful about what I post on other's pages. In theory, it's their page to say what they want. When they get too obnoxious, I just hide them.

I ignore, I figure it is about their personal feelings and beliefs, has nothing to do with me unless they are trying to convert me or something, IMHO would be as wrong to do that as if they “spoke up” about something I posted that didn’t match their belief system.

PDF Level 5 July 14, 2018

I try to refrain but whenever I see a ridiculous prayer request for “hope and strength” for a girl with cancer, I would lose my self-control. What I do is I would actually write a prayer complete with “Dear Lord ...” and ask for “hope and strength” and then ask for more “while you’re at it, why don’t you cure her of this terrible disease” and then ask for more “we ask that you eliminate cancer altogether” and then more “and while you’re at it, please also eliminate Alzheimers, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Huntington’s, Parkinson, Schidzoidprenia, and all the other incurable diseases”. The strange thing is my prayer would actually get Likes 🙂

I only comment if it's hurtful to someone else. Like comparing homosexuality to pedophilia or that some one or group deserved what they got due to their wickedness. You want to rant about your imaginary friend? Ok. But don't be hurtful to others.

Swarty Level 3 July 14, 2018

I've come to realize, it's just like trump supporters, you can't reason with them, you can't present them with facts, they beligerantly stick to what they believe, so if you can't agree to disagree, it's best to just never even start.

I used to say "I respect everyone's beliefs and opinions to the same degree that they respect mine." I have since come to realize that just because someone else is disrespectful or aggressive doesn't mean that I should compromise myself, my beliefs or my perspective just because of their lack of empathy and understanding for others. Take the high road and you'll feel better about yourself in the long run!

I too have religious friends. They know that I do not believe God exists and respect my right not to be religious, whereas I respect their right to be religious - this is how we can be friends. If your friends are posting about their beliefs but are not trying to proselytise to you or attack your non-belief and are tolerant of your atheism, extend the same courtesy to them - and perhaps they'll inspire other religious people to be tolerant too.

Jnei Level 8 July 14, 2018

The thing is, they do proselytize. One wants to be a missionary and preach the word of god and the other wants to save all souls by letting people know how great gods been to her.

@helionoftroy In that case, I think I'd have to say them "Look; I do not share your beliefs - I've looked at the world and come to a different conclusion to you. I accept that we are different and I respect your right to believe; if you value our friendship, please respect my opinions too." If they then continue to proselytise to you, you might have to accept that you can't continue the friendship,.

Live and let live—just move on. After all, a little bit of what they say might have a shred of truth.

A person’s opinion about religion is just an opinion—yours, mine, everyone’s. In the final analysis no one has the answers to the deep questions about reality. Maybe it would help us stomach the opinions of church folks if we concentrate on religion as a way of life rather than as a body of knowledge.

They have chosen their way of life for reasons meaningful to them. There are worse ways to live.

I have quite a few friends that are believers. I never give then shit about what they post because I believe they have thr right to express their feelings. on the other hand they don't give me shit for my anti-religion posts or about Atheism, in fact many of them have stood up for me sticking to my guns and not being afraid to speak at what I care about.

I would not want to say something snarky to a friend but I really want to show them how illogical or silly what they are saying is. But like you, I usually scroll past because they are too ingrained in their beliefs, can't think outside their little box. It's always been pointless.

I normally don't say anything, but when appropriate, I simply say that I cannot comment in a positive way because I do not hold the same beliefs...when someone asks me what I mean by that, I do tell them I am an atheist and hope they give me the same courtesy and respect that I give them...ha ha...never happens, but at least I tried...

I tend to refulte religious posts on Facebook... but only if the person also posts pro war, pro gun, andti healthcare stuff as well.

If they seem to sincerely try to follow what jesus supposedly taught I let them be.

I could get rid of half my family on FB if I responded to their posts.

I learned who would accept me as I am to be my friends by way of responding to religious posts. I wasnt rude but I would disagree. My friend group of the past has dwindled. It's okay because Im making new friends who we can relate. Im happy with that.

As long as people are not closed minded are promoting hate i don't mind i don't believe in got but i hace muslam jewish catholic and satanist friend there all pretty cool people so i don't mind them posting what they believe basicaly i only minde when people are assholes

I had re refrain today because someone declared that since so many people prayed for no rain in Thailand while the boys were getting rescued they it was god. I wanted to laugh but just skipped over the post. It was difficult!

I sometimes ask....Tell me what Jesus did, that we can see, to benefit humanity?

I roll my eyes at the stupidity then scroll past. Most of them don't even believe the shit they post.

The point at which their religion bleeds into their politics is when the gloves can come off

Most of the time, yes. Depends on subject and attitude of presentation. Most of the time they deserve at least a shot across the bow.

If it's just something that shows up on my feed, I don't bother.
However, if it's something that is deliberately posted to me, that's another
matter entirely, and I will say something.
Anyone who knows me, and is a "friend" on facebook, knows I am an atheist.
If they're going to disrespect me by posting some god or bible bullshit directly
to my page, I'm going to tell them exactly what I think of it, their belief in it, and
my displeasure at them for doing it.
I don't go on their pages posting anything about atheism. I expect the same consideration in return.

I do

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:130612
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.