Agnostic.com

8 4

"When the student is ready, the teacher appears."

I don't know who to attribute the quote to, but that's not the reason for this -- after my last post it's been running around in my head. I'm finding it to be true more and more. And the "teacher" is usually not what I would expect.

bleurowz 8 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everybody can teach you, but you have to be ready to hear what they say. The teacher appears because you are finally listening to hear what he or she is saying.

zeuser Level 9 July 14, 2018

@Gwendolyn2018 You can only be taught what you are open to learning.

“You ain’t gonna learn what you don’t wanna know.”

~John Perry Barlow~

Hermit Level 7 July 14, 2018

The quote is from Buddha, and few expect the lessons, or the teacher, until they experience an "ah-ha" moment. I often saw it evolve when i was facilitating learning. All it takes is an open mind and heart.

I have also experienced such unexpected 'teachers' who have gifted me with insights which ultimately made my life better and more joyful. Sometimes it took effort, sometime the insights involved pain, but they were always worthwhile and valuable in the long run. And the teachers still appear from time to time, even after 70 years. 🙂

Congratulations.

“When the student is ready the teacher will appear. When the student is truly ready... The teacher will Disappear.”

― Lao Tzu

I think perhaps
"When the student is ready, the teacher is recognised," maybe more of a truism, however the effect is the same.

Lao Tzu, in my opinion, was talking about becoming "unconsciously competent." This fourth stage of the of the human ability-development process. takes place once we do whatever we've been learning without conscious thought. The metaphor i've used is riding my bike without holding on to the handlebars, and without crashing. 😉

Buddha and the Theosophists are both credited with this saying. In any case it is true because you cannot learn anything until your mind is receptive.

When the teacher is ready the student appears

Also accurate; and just as students need to have open minds and hearts to recognise their lessons, so do the teachers.

Until you're ready for the teacher , you don't know how to recognize them !
Its a process requiring personal maturation .

I think it’s because you now have a different perspective of your environment

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:130663
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.