Agnostic.com

32 2

What are your thoughts on open relationship ?

Prashant 5 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only thing it would help me with is my curiosity.

I have read that instinctively, males are predisposed to engage in sexual relations with multiple partners in order to improve their chances of continuing their genetic line, and females are instinctively aligned to attempt to become pregnant my multiple partners, so as to improve her offspring's chances for survival (varied genetic material and protection and resources provided by the males to support the offspring). That makes sense on a biological level; however, ex is fun (understatement!), so we humans enjoy engaging in various forms of stimulation and do to necessarily want to procreate.

Personally, I think we would all enjoy open relationships, but we are still hung up on social mores that frown upon anything other than monogamy. Individuals do not have one true "Soul Mate." Instead, we meet multiple people throughout our lives who we click with and share mutual interests. We also meet others who we are sexually attracted to. Why shouldn't we be able to pursue side relationships that may fulfill aspects of our lives that are not being satisfied by a current partner?

An argument can certainly be made for monogamy. This is where individuals should be able to choose what type of relationship they want to be in without negative judgment.

If all participating members are aware that they are in an open relationship, and are okay with it, I certainly would not judge them. It's not the right sort of relationship for me, though. I am worthy of a man's undivided attention, and would settle for no less.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 18, 2018

To each their own with different cultures. To me... CLOSE that open relationship.

Not for me, unless I am not attached to the person. If I don't "care" about the girl then sure I'll keep her as my sure thing while I explore. Might seem insensitive, but eh.

@okiestache Wow what? This is assuming it's an open relationship AGREED upon by BOTH PARTIES! Wow what? When I say if I don't "care", it means I'm not in love or attached. If I was, I wouldn't want an open relationship. If I'm willing to be in an open relationship, it means I'm not really attached or "in love" with the girl. If I care or am in love, I wouldn't WANT an open relationship. So what's the big deal? An open relationship is like having a friend with benefits. It doesn't mean I would treat the girl like crap either.

@okiestache I’m curious about the “wow” too. Let’s discuss. In what way were you shocked?

@okiestache if both parties agree than it’s not insensitive.

@okiestache You completely misunderstood what I meant. You also put words into my mouth. I never once said I would handle it with telling them I really liked fucking them and that I will dump them when someone deserves me exclusively. Try again. You also missed the part where I said it would be a complete agreement by both parties.

@okiestache I should have been clearer in my original statement.

I'd just call that a FWB (friend with benefits). But I'd drop them if I found someone I wanted to be with!

@girlwithsmiles Exactly.

@Piece2YourPuzzle I was under the impression that an open relationship includes many people, not just two. IMHO ALL parties to the relationship must know and consent. To control STDs if nothing else.

Seems to work for some, others not.

scurry Level 9 July 16, 2018

I think it’s totally up to the person or people involved. Polyamory is possible and preferable for some, monogamy for others and none of the above for another subset. There is no right or wrong answer to your question, it is defendant on the people and circumstances.

PDF Level 5 July 16, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:132094
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.