Agnostic.com

43 3

When did you tell your parents?

When did you reveal to your parents that you were agnostic/atheist? How did you deal with their reactions?

Ashxoleyxo 5 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After one of my many miscarriages my mum said something like "everything happens for a reason, this is part of God's plan" and I responded, "yeah, that's not a god I want any part of, if he can't come up with a better plan than this I don't need him." She mostly backed down and stopped saying shit like that.

There are so many interesting stories here. I was fortunate to have been raised by parents who didn’t force this kind of belief system on their children. We were baptized as infants because it was a tradition. I got the impression that it had as much importance as visiting Santa at the mall. We never attended any kind of church unless there was a wedding or funeral. None of my grandparents showed any interest in religion either.

LB67 Level 7 July 21, 2018

Haven’t told them. Doubt I will. They’d be hurt over me not believing a fantasy. I’ll let them live their life in bliss and ignorance. Unless they try and teach my kids any of their young earth anti science nonsense. Then I guess we will have revelatory discussion.

Swarty Level 3 July 17, 2018

I never had to. They drifted away from religion around the same time I did.

Strabo Level 6 July 17, 2018
  1. My mom told me jesus would forgive me and my dad worried it was his fault.
Mweuot Level 2 July 18, 2018

My mom got angry and told my sisters she was worried she wouldn’t see me again in the afterlife because I would go to hell 😟

I was raised in a catholic household, by the time I was 8 or 9 the priest told my parents that I would never be a christian he figured I had questions that religion just couldn't answer, they still forced me to attend services until I was 13, loved spending summers with my maternal grandparents, my grandfather was an ordained lutheran minister and he wouldn't force me to attend church, he understood that I was motivated by logic and there is no logic in religion.

I’m glad your grandfather was so understanding

Don't ask/Don't tell seems the right choice to me...

Never told my mother. We were estranged for decades, so we never talked.
Just told my father about two months ago.
He didn't seem surprised, and expressed some of his own doubts.

I have never experienced any fear when telling anyone I'm an atheist. I don't worry about anyone rejecting me for it.

Immediately after they told me they were getting a divorce. Timing is everything!

Didn't have to. They were nonbelievers. We never discussed it.

My brother told me that one day my mom said that she didn’t think I was xtian, I guess from fb posts. He told her that neither was he. I never addressed it to her, but I never hid it, either.

My parents were dead but I came out openly to my siblings and the rest of the family. I was in my mid twenties. My siblings tried the "you're mad at god". I told them I couldn't be mad at something I didn't believe in.

Never

When I was 11.

My mom knew I thought religion was BS. I was still kind of on the fence about god when she died. I told my dad that I didn’t believe in god, the Bible or religion maybe a month later. Neither one was surprised since I’d quit participating in any religion related activity at least 10 years earlier.

Told my mom i did not believe in god around 7 im 23 now and she still trys to make me believe regardless of all the debates we had over the years her responce always was your young you will believe one day as if age had anything to do with it i never did never will she may say she respects that but her words always show the oposite

I have always questioned it and as I got older it became harder and harder for me to believe in god when I started doing research and finding so many inconsistencies.

Around 14... I'm currently 42 and it is a tense issue between my mother and me even now. She chose her faith over sincerity and honesty years ago and I don't expect her to change. I have compassion because she was abused and never dealt with it, but it makes me sad. My father has never been religious, but teeters on conspiracy theory a lot and that is just another form of faith. He generally frowns on proclamations from people in general. With him it's basically "shut up and do what you do. If it's worth a damn, we'll see." It's harsh, but I respect it.

My mother is passive aggressive about the whole thing. If I feel inclined, I engage it and call it out. Increasingly, I don't because... well, why? I gave up on her years ago and I see them twice a year. Maximize the positive and move on. They are getting older and increasingly set in their ways. No need to waste the energy...

I’m coming to this conclusion as well of not arguing anymore, I believe my mother is set in her way as well.

@Ashxoleyxo a good thing to ask yourself before getting into any arguement is "what does this person have that I want?" In case of my mom, she mostly has my emotional connections because she is my mom. But reality is reality no matter what. Her inability to recognize facts doesn't make them not true. She has the ability to influence how I feel about her, but arguing isn't going to help in this case. So, I let it go.

When indulging her and her racist bigoted friends became too much of a bother to me.

"I want to go to kindomhall tonight (because my only friends are their well be out till11)"

"I have a test tomorrow"

"So?"

"...hey Mom guess what?"

Hey mom guess what? Got me lol

My parents are already agnostics. I was raised Jewish for the culture.

I still havent told them. They are too busy praying for their backsliding son. Smh

Know that feeling.

My father died before I came into my atheism. He believed (I think) but I really don't know how strongly... Despite that fact the he raised is for the most part, I really feel I didn't know him well.
It took me 2+ years after I took the plunge before I finally told my mother as I was afraid she'd disown me. She didn't actually, and though or relationship can be strained at times, it's never been over or difference in religion (though it can be annoying sometimes, it's never been an issue of major contention) and I feel like those two or so years were wasted years of our relationship.
I do wish my father were still alive because I would've liked to know where he stood on that, as well as a lot of other things.

That was never an issue. I don't think my dad believed in anything, and my mom passed when I was a teen.

Coming out lol

I never did, we were raised that religion and politics were unfit topics, the height of rudeness to bring either up.

I've only told my mom, a few months ago. She was fine with it since my brother and I were raised pretty much non-reglious. We still celebrated the holidays, but just to spend time with the family.

My dad was forced go to church when we was younger; he didn't like it and didn't want to force us to go. My mom is still reglious but doesn't force it on people, and she only goes to Bible study one a week with her friend.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:132790
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.