Agnostic.com

43 3

When did you tell your parents?

When did you reveal to your parents that you were agnostic/atheist? How did you deal with their reactions?

Ashxoleyxo 5 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We never discussed religion. I’m pretty sure they are athiest too.

My dad died before I was open about it. About 12 years ago, my mother moved in with us and it became pretty obvious to her.

I called both of them and my dad repeated his fellow agnosticism and my mother, a Lutheran, hung up and then called me back once she was inebriated and told me I am going to roast in hell. I then let her know of my Lutheran college degree and that I could no longer accept any of the biblical things and then told her good night.

My mom took it fairly well
She was a Hippie in the 60s so that helped.

My Christian In-Laws didn't take it very well.
During my father in-laws prayer he said in front of my kids "Evolution is a Farce".

My Christian husband didn't take it well either.
He was wedged between his parents and me.
(Poor Guy ?)

He has learned to overlook it.

I haven't officially told them but I'm pretty sure my mom knows atleast. She knows my views. I know she's not happy about it but she really doesn't say anything. I try to respect her views about things and not argue. I would never win anyways.

My mom was a secular humanist and dad is an agnostic, so there wasn’t a need to make a statement.

UUNJ Level 8 Nov 23, 2018

Didnt have to, my whole extended family were atheists mainly because of the war. My grandmother and grandfather lived in the East End on the docks the worst bombed place in the whole of england - It would be hard to believe in anything after 6 years of that plus rationing.

jacpod Level 8 July 29, 2018

About 2 months after I made the decision which was a week before dropping out of Baptist seminary.

My mom cried but their only response was they'll always love me. Mom went into the kitchen and said, "don't think this gets you out of mashing potatoes, get in here". Later she told me that was to make everything seem normal.

That was 23 years ago and they've asked a few questions, we've talked about secular Buddhism and Unitarian Universalism some but they've never pressured me. Heck, I'll go to Xmas services or other special occasions and they don't act like I'm about to fall on my knees begging for to eat zombie jeebus.

I was open from day one

I never told my parents. My mom found out through my siblings. My dad died before he found out.

I think a lot has to do with your age. I have never “told” them but I know it isn’t really hidden. My mom has told me she still prays for me and whatnot, which if coirse Ismaili for her, not me. I just don’t feel a need to wear it on my sleeve, to me, making it into an announcement or making sure people know is exactly the same as those that push their religion in your face asking for prayer chains or whatever.

PDF Level 5 July 17, 2018

I agree. The most awkward part is when people automatically assume you’re Christian.

I was Wiccan since a teenager....then Buddhist/Wiccan.....now Buddhist/Atheist with Wiccan/Pagan holidays. I don't think any of my relatives care or notice what I do. But, of course, my mum's a Witch and my dad is totally Agnostic/Atheist.....so......

Interestingly enough, my brother went Jewish and my sister went Jehovah's Witness. You could say that THEY rebelled against the parents! LOl

Lol I guess you could!

How about you @Ashxoleyxo ? Don't be shy now.

Well my dad knows, I feel like my mom knows but doesn’t want to believe it. I just got out of this pseudo Buddhist practice which I have come to believe is most likely a cult, I thought I was escaping the craziness of Christianity because I’ve always liked the concept of Buddhism, but it ended up being the same with the politics and if you don’t do this the way we tell you to, your life will be hell BS, so from that experience and growing up southern baptist, I’m back to being agnostic because I believe in some type of spiritual being ( for lack of better word) but I’m going to stay as from organized religion as possible. That made it harder for me to believe in anything solid. I do believe in energies and supernatural happenings that we can’t explain, for now that’s where I stand.

I never did. My mother and father died at 81 and 87 respectively, and did not really want to know. It was "don't ask, don't tell". I was transitioning from inactive theist to atheist during the last 10 years or so of my father's life and if he had lived longer than he did I suppose I would have told him at some point when it came up organically. He wouldn't have been happy but he wouldn't have disowned me or something, either. One thing my parents were good at was unconditional love; another was minding their own business. Although they were fundamentalists, they came to that association relatively late in life, in their 40s, so they had some perspective outside the bubble.

In my 20's. I was visiting for some holiday and someone brought it up and I said "actually I'm an atheist" and my mother responded "don't be silly you're Roman Catholic." and I was like "....wut"

I didn't give up my religious beliefs until grad school. At that point, I wasn't too concerned with their opinion about it.

Never had to tell them.

In the summer between my sophomore and junior years of catholic high school. I started to withdraw from interacting at family events. My mom wouldn't let me eat dinner one night because I wouldn't say grace. Went to my room and screamed. My sister said it scared my mom. The rest of high school was a chore.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:132790
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.