Agnostic.com

14 4

This is a scary thought!

How many of you would now be dead if not for modern medicine? In my own case, I would likely have expired from a strangulated hernia at age twelve. Surgery ensued, saving me from gangrene and possible death. Assuming I'd survived that somehow, I would then have died at age twenty-nine, when my Type I diabetes kicked in--- a sure death sentence in the pre-insulin injection days. I am now seventy years old. Again, how many of you would likely have died if not for advances in medicine?

RobLawrence 7 July 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i would be dead from type 2 diabetes if my doctor had not diagnosed me and given me metformin (i am not insulin-dependent). my glucose was almost 600 when i walked into the clinic. yes, i walked in! i am not sure why or how. but that simple diagnosis and prescription has saved my limbs, my eyesight and my life.

g

Me, me, me. Both my daughter and I would have died when she was born because I didn't dilate enough to deliver. I was 37. A couple of years ago I had pancreatitis and thought I had an upset stomach and was to the point that I might have died if I hadn't gone into thee doc that evening. Otherwise, I probably would have died from the flu because I'm asthmatic and that kicks in BIG time with the flu.

I nearly died aged four after churchill nearly killed us all with sulphur poisoning from the ring of coal fired generators around london which is in a dip- we had continuous smog for a week 12,000 people died - I got pneumonia and weak lungs from the sulphur poisoning . I also would have been dead from an ectopic pregnancy when I was 40 years old as it happened on a saturday night and we were told to stay away from the hospital till the morning by which time my fallopian tubes had both burst.

jacpod Level 8 July 22, 2018

I've lived a charmed life. No real deadly diseases and was born by natural birth with no complication (in the hospital). I'm vaccinated though, so that counts as potential survival from modern medicine.

Lukian Level 8 July 18, 2018

@RobLawrence I know I am. I usually stay silent with these questions just so I don't minimize in anyway others unfortunate situations.

I would have died in labor. My son, too.

Hang in there tough guy. A change of doctors with a change of treatment resulted in an anaphylactic asthma attack. & days unconscious in ICU. Big comeback. Thanks intubation & great hospital care. Isurance is a must for everyone in the world's wealthiest country (at one time). $650,000.00 bill of which I paid out of pocket & deducted from my taxes of $2,000.00

600 and 50 1000 dollars?!!

I'd most likely have died when I was seven from a chronic asthma attack. The asthma had several more attempts in the years since, including last year when it put me in intensive care for a week.

Jnei Level 8 July 18, 2018

Wow lady. Asthma killed me in 2003. I survived 7 days unconscious in ICU. Sisterhood is powerful. Look into XOLAIR injections as a possible treatment. Worked for me but involves many years of injections

@Countrywoman I'm fortunate in that mine is generally easily controllable with inhalers - I can go years without an attack and, sometimes, months with few symptoms at all, so Xolair wouldn't be offered to me unless I suddenly got worse. Despite the attacks I've had, I'm actually very fortunate compared to many! 🙂

I had 12 rounds of chemo last year for Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Even though it's considered to be a "curable" cancer, people die from it. I know someone who did.

@RobLawrence Thanks for asking. In remission since last August. And in fact, I have a CT scan tomorrow which may determine if my port can be removed.

@RobLawrence I struggle with serious neuropathy and fatigue. But every day I'm grateful I have a new lease on life.

I would have died 12 years ago without the pacemaker they put in.

yeah be dead 20 yrs ago when my type 1 showed up or poss b4 if 1 of the multitude of vaccines had not been available in my lifetime saw a kid nearly die from fckin measles

weeman Level 7 July 17, 2018

I died for a bit but modern medicine brought me back.

Salo Level 7 July 17, 2018

Once for sure but probably many other times.

I don't know.

I have never needed major surgery or major medical intervention, but who knows?

I have had a full complement of vaccinations and minor illnesses have been treated effectively with modern medicines.
Have I only had minor ilnesses because modern medicine has reduced the incidence of many childhood and adult conditions that could have killed me?

I may have been lucky and still be as fit and healthy as I am now, but I don't know this for sure.

I would have slipped into a coma brought on by a condition known as Myxoma.

This is when you have undiagnosed hypothyroidism (Interactive Thyroid) and you have stopped producing the hormone Thyroxine. It's generally an autoimmune disorder where your body's defences attacks your Thyroid.

I would have died aged 43...had medical science not intervened. Previous to this I was a medical miracle requiring no hospital visits as a patient.
I just never got sick..started to think there was something wrong with me..oh the irony..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:133170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.