Agnostic.com

35 8

Do you give compliments with honesty?

As a side of a question I posted in the singles group, do you give honest compliments?
I mean do you give them easily as a way to break the ice or do you think about it and only make them with honesty?
On a side note of the side note, do you use compliments as a way to advance on the idea of picking another up?

Akfishlady 8 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

why wouldn't I?

I only compliment when someone has done something noteworthy. Praising someone for personal gain is ass kissing. These lips weren't designed for that.

I never give fake compliments....that is until entering "dog world"...which I learned is a "when in Rome" thing. The only time I do it is if I'm dying to know what heinous creatures threw such an abberant specimen. I hate that, but it's a necessary evil.
Sad as until that dawned on me it was bizarre to be losing it over someone's dog only to have them look at me as if I'd an arm growing out my forehead. Yes those were REAL compliments lady! But still. I don't gush over a dog I don't like, ever. And NEVER give fake compliments or blow smoke in that world online.
/more than anyone wanted to know about dog world. lol

Qualia Level 8 July 18, 2018

@Akfishlady No I mean it's a real thing this phenomenon that people sleuth dogs(when you can't tell who they are when not in the ring w/the band on handlers arm to look in a catalog) with fake compliments. Sad but true. I didn't know this until later so at the time at a show when I lost it over this woman's girl she looked at me funny & at the time I couldn't figure out why.

@Akfishlady it's really very catty & it sucks. Apparently I'm a dork that doesn't do this fake thing IRL in any other facet of life. So this world has taught me it's a thing.

well yes i give honest compliment whats the point of having a conversation without honesty

I compliment you on this post. It is a very nice post. Just like the rest of your posts.

jeffy Level 7 July 18, 2018

Yes.

Coldo Level 8 July 18, 2018

I give genuine compliments without expectation of acknowledgement or reciprocation. If I did that would be insincere or manipulative.

I use compliments when people deserve them-I don't use them unless they are sincere.

Always. Or not at all.

At this point in my life, I don't say anything that I don't mean.

Very rarely but when I give one it's sincere. I generally go with the assumption that a person is smart enough to look through false praise.

I use compliments as an icebreaker but I make sure they're genuine compliments.

I won't tell someone I like their earrings if I don't. I'll find something about them to compliment that is earnest.

Likewise I dislike generic compliments given to myself. "Wow your eyes are beautiful" I know they're genuinely complimenting me on something they really like about my physical appearance, but online it always feels less genuine and more 'I want your body'.

In person it's different, because I can see the expression people have, but I dunno, I guess I just have a weird inability to take compliments

Of course, like this question. No one could have phrased it better. I need therapy.

Mokvon Level 8 July 18, 2018

Don't analyze things to death. A compliment is a compliment. Smile and say thank you.

I really don’t compliment often. I always thought giving compliments were kind of insulting. Idk, I guess I’m weird. I think I perceive people’s usage of complimenting as a manipulative tool. I need to break myself of that, but some others need to stop dishing them out like Halloween candy.

I will compliment people, even those I don't know. I always try to find something nice about someone to compliment them on but sometimes that is easier said than done.

Not always. If I meet someone and I'm not really interested in them but they're an acquaintance, I'll more easily give compliments on things they're clearly proud of. I'd rather make them feel good and proud of their seemingly ridiculous shoes or hair than give a purely honest opinion. On one hand I consider that my opinion isn't the definitive line on fashion while on the other I'm always impressed that people are willing to take a bold chance on something they like.

If I'm complimenting a personality trait, hobby, or profession I'm typically more honest because that tends to generate more back-and-forth conversation. If I say I'm super impressed that someone studies seat belt durability, we may end up actually discussing it and then I'm fucked.

If this is a real friend or someone I'm genuinely interested in knowing better, I'll only compliment what I truly appreciate. I don't want to start off a friendship or relationship with false pretense that will eventually come back around and then my credibility is damaged. I will however usually have a few things I can compliment to generate conversation because if I can't, why would I be interested in this person in the first place?

always honestly compliment. rarely just out of the blue to a stranger.

A compliment given any way but honestly is no longer a compliment.

If I see something that deserves a compliment then I provide it honestly.
The second question is a bit more complicated. I may offer a few more compliments to someone I'm interested in, I think that some may see this as insecurity or over compensating, but that's how I am.

Offering false compliments just isn't my thing.

Whenever I give anyone a compliment, I do it with complete sincerity.
People are always really quick to tell you when you're fucking up, but they hardly ever make the effort to take the time to say something nice.
Whenever I have the opportunity to pay someone a real compliment, I'll do it.
Especially strangers.
I've never used a compliment as a pick-up line.

I give encouragement, or try to. I compliment when I can, and I always try to be honest, but we all need encouragement.

Sometimes they ended up being not compliments.

I do give compliments and with sincerity. I know how good it makes me feel if someone compliments me so if I like someone’s hair or notice a cute new outfit or even if they just look especially happy I’ll give them a compliment. I do that to strangers too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:133674
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.