Agnostic.com

14 0

What is it about life that keeps you going without the promise of an afterlife? Do you see it as an ultimately fruitless struggle? Do you think it is a gift of unimaginable proportions? What is the point if it ultimately ends in oblivion?

Levi_Hinton 7 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The web of belief and some brain chemistry via evolution. Basically nature and nurture form our perceptions of what meaning is. Nature and nurture can find meaning virtually anywhere or nowhere. There is a vast spectrum. 1 person may never get bored, another may be in a deep hole of depression.

I don't think that the fact that each one of us eventually passes out of being means that our lives are fruitless and without purpose. If we enrich the lives of other people with our actions or words or creations, if we do some good for others, and if we have pleasure or fulfillment for ourselves, then I think our lives do have meaning.

I'm here so I might as well make the best out of it. Good food, good company, good sex, etc etc etc. All the bad things can kiss my ass.

i think it's ingrained in most of us to drive forward for the propagation of our species. We've been programmed that way. Somehow. Whether intentionally or not.

I think everything ends in oblivion. Nothing really matters on a grander scale, but it matters within our small existence. If all life on Earth ended, or Earth itself disintegrated, it would mean shit all for the rest of the universe most likely.

Life simply is. The only meaning there is in it, is what meaning we create by our thoughts and actions.

To rack up as many experiences as I can in the time given.

Zster Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

I'm a Unitarian Universalist. I have always believed that the one great miracle in this life is life itself. I feel an obligation to pass through this life with as much grace as I can muster. and I am guessing death will be like going to sleep and not waking up. No way of knowing if there is any awareness afterward and I can't even conceptualize it. I just accept the gift and enjoy each day as it comes. Lots of new experiences and new pleasures always possible and I look forward to whatever comes my way.

Life could be an ilusion.. in the quantum world it certainly suggests this... quantum mechanics helps us to learn a lot...an agnostic person doesnt believe in god but that doesnt mean that they don't believe that we just don't know either but don't subscribe to a religion, to me its the closest thing to fill in on a form that says religion is medieval ... nobody knows what was there in the infinetrical begining the search goes on...

Since I don't twitter in this life I reckon I will be a twitter ninja cluster in the afterlife. I will twitter you guys with answers to your questions once I get to the other side.

Live for today-the here and now-is the way to go.

The last time you thought about traveling on vacation, did you think "oh man, I will have to come back home soon; is it worth to go at all?"

Sounds like a question rooted in depression. The "point" of life is what we want it to be. The here and now experience, the opportunity to learn, experience emotion, beauty, humor, passion, and interpersonal connections. Death is not a negative but a neutral. Life, however, is a complex mix of positives and negatives, but, I hope, mostly positive. As for meaning, what YOU decide matters becomes your meaning; your purpose. Yay! Free choice! 🙂

Also, you say “fruitless” struggle. I try to refrain from judgements like this one when they are subjective descriptors. I’ve heard it said, “There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.” Much like happiness, I think, one’s experience broadly described as life is a choice/perspective, dependent upon a philosophy.

What keeps me going is the notion that this life may be it. I mean, I’m sentient and experiencing. The notion that exists that my awareness of my existence may cease makes me want to retain awareness—the gift that it may be—as long as possible. Maybe someday I will change but that’s where I am at right now. I have this sense that the fear of death kills people in the stage of existence in which we posses experiential awareness. Now I’m begged to read this:[mindingthebrain.files.wordpress.com]. Thanks for your question.

I am curious about everything and want to see and learn as much as I can.... no need for a point no need to not do something because someday we will die

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13399
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.