Agnostic.com

23 4

What is Reality?

We are told that Reality is FACT, REAL, TRUTH.
Some say that reality is base on how we see life, but does that change reality?

Several things distort Reality

1. Religious beliefs; what we believe in distract from facts, truth information

2. Traditions; social behavior for families, cultures are created and have no purpose in reality and yet it is a major part of how people perceive reality

3. Illusions: is the deal killer when it comes to reality. take for example. A magician with 1000 people in the audience state they will make a plane disappear. All 1000 of the people sitting in the audience are participants in the magican illusions. Only those that are watching it on a video or their TV believe it really happen.

4. Delusion: A false belief that is resistant to confrontation with actual fact. We see this everyday in the things that we learn that was all lies. Out entire life is base on what someone else stated as true.

5. We are taught as children that Earth is round.

6. We are taught as children that Santa bring toys

7. We are taught as children what and who to believe

8. We are taught as children that you must believe in god

9. We are taught as children to fear demon, satan, evil spirit

10. We are taught as children to fear the knowledge, never ask question

11. We are taught to dislike someone because they have a different political affilations

12. We are taught that the color blacks is for evilness, Hollywood did it job by putting ever evil villain in Black

It is any wonder that people see their lives as reality
Your reality is how you perceive life, it doesn't mean that it is true or base on fact.

The book you read doesn't mean it is true even if it state, 'True Story'. People lies, history lie, science lie,.......

kitarae 4 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The reality of this one, the post is too long.....

The fact that the Earth is round is easily proven using high school trigonometry. Maybe you didn't take trig or didn't understand it but it only takes some basic math.

@kitarae No, I understand basic math and science. I actually paid attention in school. People who think the Earth is flat obviously missed something in school. Maybe. They we're sick. Maybe they had a shitty school system. The fact the Earth is round is provable with simple math. You call it my opinion but it is fact.

#5 confuses me. Are you saying the Earth isn't round?

I think she was alluding to, as a child unless someone told you the earth was round one would automatically conclude it was flat.

@kitarae No "real" pictures of Earth that are "not fake"?

There have been countless photos of earth from space. The pictures are both real and undoctored. I'm surprised that in the 21st century, I'd have to point that out.

@kitarae Uh, there are plenty of photos of Earth from space that are real... Wow.

@Dhiltong no one that has ever sailed would think that the world is flat.

@girlwithsmiles #5 doesn't really fit with the rest because the earth being round is an easily proven fact whereas the others are not provable facts.........

@Dhiltong many can be disproven. Some are just naive assumptions we're fed as a child, some are things we suspend reality to believe as we enjoy illusions. The point is many people can differentiate fact from fiction and illusion from reality. Mental health issues (delusions are not always avoidable), sheep mentality and stupidity are a different issues.

All you have to do is have an open mind and be willing to accept the challenges as they arrive with a smile, never play by the rules!

It is my position that reality exists outside of our collective or individual abilities to perceive it. One only need ask, if another asteroid were to obliterate all sentient life on the planet, would not the reality of a universe, galaxy, solar system and the 3rd planet from the sun remain? Do the laws of the physical universe require human discovery to exist?

@kitarae Please don't take this personally, but your statement either represents an attempt at humor or irrational and incoherent lunacy. Having worked a good portion of my career in satellite operations and space launch, I found your remarks to be among the most breathtakingly cringeworthy posts I've ever read. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts. I am reminded of my avatar's warning:
"To argue with a man [or woman, as the case may be] who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."
Thomas Paine

Reality is the way the laws of nature and the universe work.

@kitarae Your opinion is noted as is mine.

@kitarae You are wasting your time telling me your nonsense and I will not waste mine by reading any of it, but have a nice night.

I concur, the evidence for a round earth is pretty incontovertible, that is if you chose to believe evidence. Lol)

t1nick Level 8 July 18, 2018

@kitarae Sorry kitare, I'm a scientist and a science teacher. I've worked for NASA and I don't own a tv. I've seen the evidence.

Watch the NASA CHANNEL live video from orbiting spheroid earth

It seems to be what you brain tells you it is

"Reality is what you can get away with"

• Robert Anton Wilson

Reality is that which is irreplaceable

• Quote from Westworld

If the world is flat or round, how does it affect our experience? If it were discovered that the world were flat, what of our daily lives would be affected. If you discovered it were round would you have to rearrange your day accordingly? The big deception is that it doesn't matter! Our lives continue in the best way we know how as they have in our previous months and years. Physicists and biologist can work out what it means, but our local reality stays as it has always been.

An interesting list. I must say the items seem to be an expression of your personal experience. Certainly statements 6-12 are not my experience and therefore not universal. I am not sure if there is a discussion point here or if it is collection of personal grievances.. To get the ball rolling for an interesting discussion, who is the Freemason that you cite in your replies?

@kitarae just asking you to cite your sources so we can engage in healthy debate otherwise your discourse is no more opinion and heresy than mine

Reality is always relative.

Jandii Level 4 July 19, 2018

Whatever passes for reality for you.

jacpod Level 8 July 19, 2018

You stated in your answer to one of the replies that "Gravity does not exist". The Four Fundamental Forces of Nature are Gravitational force, Weak Nuclear force, Electromagnetic force and Strong Nuclear force. These are the foundation of physics, to deny gravity exists is denying all the fundamental forces exist.
Without the four forces nothing would exist unless some type of intervention is used.
What do you propose this intervention is?

@kitarae "You all have attacked me personally". No, I ask a question. You have not answered my question.
"GPS was created for flat earth not a round spinning ball of fiction". Then why do GPS lines curve if the Earth is flat?
Now with all your trolling you are up to level 4, congratulations.

Reality is what we experience.

cava Level 7 July 18, 2018

@WhereAtAtheist The reality of the deluded is still their reality, A person cannot unsee a mirage.

@Matias What we experience, even if it is a construct is all we have to go on. There is no hidden world, what you see is what you get everything else is derivative.

We can only think subjectively, we cannot think what exists as it exists because everything
we know must be thought and there is no guarantee that our thoughts correspond to what is as it is. Our reality is phenomenal, which does not deny the factuality of what exists, only our ability to know it with certainty.

The thing I'm often not aware of.

Let's start with: are you "real", and if so, what makes YOU "real".

Reality is knowing religion is believed while alleged gawds are unknown

So we all keep learning and readjusting our realities with new information, hopefully. Source checking (and knowing what sources to trust) and having good people around you are big bonuses I find, what do you think help in our quest for, so called, truth?

Reality is not what we perceive. Beyond our perceptions is a higher essence, one we can not detect except crudely, partially, and indirectly. Quantum Loop Theory describes reality as made out of quantum fields, interacting with each other, where space is granular and there is no time.

That is underlying reality. But yes, we create our own personal reality, and you are right that it is full of distortions. It’s easier to see distortions in other people’s reality than in our own.

Reality is all in your head.

godef Level 7 July 18, 2018

@kitarae Sounds are what your mind perceives them to be. For lack of a mind to hear them, they are merely percussions of air. Your mind might see red, and another's might see blue, but if you agree on the same word for it, then that's what color it is. Reality is a mish-mash of particles doing their quantum dance, and it is each of our own minds presenting individually unique interpretations to our conscious. Gawd am I on dat good chit tonight.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:134092
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.