Agnostic.com

9 4

The Introspective Illusion & how accurate are we in regards to ourselves?

How accurate do you think you are when it comes to knowing yourself? Do you believe you see yourself more clearly than others do?

Many people tend to trust their own assessments about themselves, but there is the Introspective Illusion.

"The introspection illusion is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly think they have direct insight into the origins of their mental states, while treating others' introspections as unreliable."

If humans naturally have such a bias, how should we compensate?

silvereyes 8 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion.”

Robert Burns

Great post. I leaned a lot about some people and I feel a bit closer to them for that. Especially DJVJ311. His sincerity removes some of the roughness I've always felt when listening to his comments. Thanks silver.

I am easy to read but hard to understand. There are all those layers underneath. The undercurrent changes direction with the temperature above. But not as expected. Recalculations needed. Not my fault. I am an Ocean not an island. I am a sailor after all.

I've asked people to give their honest opinion of me, my personality, etc., to get an outside perspective. But I don't know how insightful it really was. I might be too hard on myself, or maybe not hard enough. {shrug}

@silvereyes One or two people seemed to provide honest feedback, and without prompting it was an n the ballpark of what I think people see in me. In my daily interactions, I'm rather private. I have cultivated a persona that's not an act but is somewhat guarded. I think I know what people see of my personality, because it's largely what I want them to see.

I know I see myself one way, but that others may see me differently. For example, I feel like I'm a very open, non-judgemental person and that others should feel comfortable telling me anything. I'm often surprised to find out otherwise. I think where it goes wrong is that I am also strong and passionate about certain things and that that may come across as rigid and unbending. I question my thoughts and actions often and when I am wrong or think I'm wrong, I will own up to it. I don't have clue how I should compensate. Suggestions? Be kind, lol.

you'ii never know truly how you are received by others

Years ago, I arrived at the conclusion that there are some things you are too close to to judge. I invite my friends to tell me I'm too close, like it's a safe word. They can tell me whatever they want about a situation and I will not be mad at them. I think that is the most important thing. I still struggle and often fail to take their advice, but at least I have the first step down

Nick, my oldest friend and I have never really fought and he speaks gingerly about things, but won't stay silent. I've known him since he was a 15 months old and I was 3 days old, so I know that's just his personality.

Pete I've only known since I was 12 and he has diagnosed Bipolar Disorder. I am the person he calls when he fights with his wife and asks me to back him up and I tell him exactly how right his wife was and on rare occasions the parts he got right. Pete is the first person I turn to. He usually makes it a point to "be nice," But if I show up at his door after his kids' bedtime, pour us some Scotch and drag him to the garage for some truth, I get it. When we were younger, there were no kids or scotch and it was often over coffee late at night and when we were even younger, it was over video games in the early afternoon. A friend like that is priceless.

There are 2 more names on my list... Oddly Nick's first fiancee and Pete's first girlfriend... But I count them as true friends and amazing people in their own right and talk to them about big things in my life too. Mimi most of all. That 4'11" girl is like a cross between a big brother and a wise aunt.

They all play different parts in advising me, but we've been through alot together and there's no fear of damaging our relationships, and I have no problem taking the kid gloves off, so I think they give it to me straight

I like that.

Maybe occasionally ask a trusted friend for confirmation-I now ask my new roommate who is becoming a good sounding board. Just had an ourburst from my 22 year old who I asked for three days to check the propane tank and she finally trudged out there in over a foot of snow and ice. Kathy agreed we don't want to freeze to death.

Let's see... I'm a lazy old man that thinks he can cook. Did I get it right?

@evestrat yea! Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13416
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.