Agnostic.com

8 3

What are your thoughts. 1572 on Saint Bartholomew's night during 24 hours 5000- 10000 protestants were killed by Catholics. When the message reached Rome Pope was so overwhelmed with joy, that he ordered to organise a festive ceremony (Sapiens by Y.N.Harari).
It shocks even though it's a remote history. Do you find it different from Islamic state behaviour.

Lonely 6 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The following link claims to record some of the deaths of Catholics at the hands of English Protestants:

[politicalvelcraft.org]

No other group has fought harder to oppress and even exterminate Christian..... Than other Christians. We see it today as well. You keep hearing about The War On Christmas, and they blame other religions and seculars. But in actuality it is other Christians ( those sects that don't celebrate Christmas) that are at war. Sure there are a few cranky Atheists that voice an opinion, but most like myself enjoy Christmas as our favorite Pagan holiday.

It's sick behavior period.

You got that right. 🙂

As of March of 2017, there are approximately 41,000 Christian denominations. Each claiming to be the true word of God. They are in direct competition and yet to increase their numbers and claim dominance they are grouped under the umbrella of Christianity.

Protestants and Catholics were once enemies and a bloody war they had as evidenced in Ireland.

Religion justifies slaughter as ordained by their God/God's/deity.

Betty Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

@MrLizard

That includes all the cults based on Christianity.

Joke; Patrick was dying, he had been a good Catholic for all his long life and as he lay on his death bed he asked to join the orange lodge. Quite taken aback by this request and also unsure how to proceed, his family called in the priest. Father John spoke to Patrick asking "now I know that you have been a good Catholic all your life. What is this nonsense about joining the orange lodge"? "You`re quite right father, I have been a good Catholic but now I am not long for this world and when I go I want there to be one less of the bastards"

????

@Reignmond The orange lodge are a staunch anti Catholic organisation. Wicki it

@273kelvin Sorry, I am quite familiar with the Orange Lodge, and a fair bit of other Irish concerns. But I have no idea how those question marks got posted. I must have done it accidently instead of posting a laughing emoji.

BTW. I get the joke of your name.

@Reignmond My name is actually Kelvin and if I have to put a number to it the what else?

@273kelvin 273 degrees Kelvin is the temp at which water freezes (actually it is 273.2 k).

@Reignmond So 273Kelvin is "iceman"

Religion tends to be conservative in that it never wants to change and at times to go backward. I hope we never go back but forces seem to want that.

gearl Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

I find it different because it was of its time. That kind of extremism has no place in the 21st Century.

If you look at the timeline, Islam is now at roughly the same point as Christianity was then.

it seems the most common label we share is Homo Sapien .THe more of history I read the more of the same behaviors are described no matter what other labels are attached religious or otherwise.THere may be a slightly special twist to different stories but humans tend to succumb to savagery all too often

@Hellbent not as precise but I like it when Eisenhower said "things are more like they are now than they ever were before"

@Hellbent ha!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13429
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.