Agnostic.com

53 5

A few questions for Atheists out there.

What made you become an Atheist? Are there any other members in your family who are atheists or did you become one independently? Have you told your family about your religous thoughts and what did they say? I am not an Atheist myself but Iā€™m just wondering what life is like to be one. Peaceee šŸ˜‰

bacastro 4 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

all species are Atheists at birth, religion begins with the brutal senseless circumcision of baby boys...religious lies about Santa Claus, Ishtar boy bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns, alleged vaginal virgins birthing alleged baby gods in dirty donkey stables... children are bribed and forced to "believe" all this insane shit.....I am lucky I taught myself to read at age 4 and at age 5 I equated all the religious lies above as a unitary dishonest system of adults to trick and make fun of children....I was lucky to find my first Atheist hero and role model in Einstein, when I read a biography intended for young readers only 157 pages there the author went to great lengths to hide facts of Judaism and imply that Einstein was supportive of xian beliefs... it was obvious to me the lies for religion and "believing" were enemies of "knowing".... the dictionary falsely defined Atheism and Atheists equating Thomas Paine Deism with Atheism as if we "deny" religion as true, when nothing about religion is true... so I never "became" an Atheist, I stayed an Atheist and kept going to Sunday School until I could not stand the peers there who bragged they were "forgiven" and "going to heaven" even if they were jerks bullies and idiots....of course they resented my fast readings and look up abilities of "scriptures" winning all the bible give a way contests, I like Ricky Gervais had lots of fun quoting all the absurd falsehoods and funny stupid shit in the King James bibles... and for the record C S Lewis is NOT A FORMER ATHEIST...he never was an Atheist, temporary disloyalty to the xian scams IS NOT Atheism.... it is critical thinking, evdentiary based inquiry and logical proof against the baseless claims of faiths.... it is impossible to "debate the existence of non-existence" as there is zero evidence for any alleged gawd nor a rational definition for the non-words only gibberish sounds gott in German, gawd or gods...."belief in" is a non sequitur... having beliefs about doors are un-necessary... doors exist and all we have to do is to enter and exit doors NOT BELIEVE IN DOORS... what a crock of shit to allow believers to lure Atheists into a "debate" of irrational delusional imagery about the impossible "supernatural" realm... we Atheists are materialists... only matter and it's indwelling property energy is all that exists...space by definition is a void what energy and mass "bends" towards or away from other mass

I became an atheist after reading the old testament and learning from anthologist named Aron on YouTube

I became an atheist after reading the old testament and learning from anthologist named Aron on YouTube

Reading the Bible. No. The ones I told pretend like nothing was said.

Strangely enough my elder brother always referred to us as freethinkers. My parents got married when the Nazis were still running the show. So my parents had to produce ancestoral records as proof of their aryan family tree whose trunk was rotten to the core. The most interesting aspect, for me, was the discovery that the issuing authorities had been the churches: Catholic and Lutheran. Btw the Lutheran church tefers to itself. at least in Germsny, As evangelical.
Until the early 1920s there wasn't a single nominal atheist in my mischpoke. Yet apart from the rituals: weddings, baptisms and funerals, there never any reference to any divine authority.
I have 2 brothers. Together we produced 6 offspring. The first wss bsptised in1967 by the Lutheran Mafia and 2 by the Catholic Mafia.
My children were not.

Logic. There are a range of spiritual/religious beliefs in my immediate family from a believer in angels to a christian missionary to my atheist self. My family are aware of it through casual conversations as are most people ( i didn't have a 'coming out' ceremony to announce my atheism ?). Most of the time it is irrelevant to my day to day living. ?

Lack of evidence combined with a questioning and scientific mind (an interest in nutritional therapies made me aware of the scientific method, placebo effect, controlling for variables, double-blinding, etc.) had me half way there by the age of 17 (Agnostic, non-religious, secular). It was more than 20 years later before I could bring myself to embrace the label Atheist, which came about within a year of becoming aware of all the evidence that religion is bogus. It probably started with seeing some Hitchslap vids on youtube. Further research led to knowledge of all the errancies, contradictions, absurdities, mistranslations, and shady origins of the Abrahamic religions (embellishment, fraud, political power/control.) Before that I thought Atheism was a somewhat dishonest and arrogant position. But I simply didn't know enough yet. Do your homework.

I am an only child and my father is deceased. My mother is a believer to this day, but didn't have much to say about it when I revealed my doubts at age 17. These days I largely avoid the topic at work, but if anyone wishes to challenge me on the issue, I know enough that they will get destroyed in argument, and probably flee as their faith starts to become shaken LOL. The main stress for me of being an Atheist is concern that I am not making the most of this one life. But that is also a motivator to try to make the most of things.

From where I stand now, we have a great deal in common as, when confronted with a BS assertion, I rather enjoy demolishing theistā€™s arguments and/or make them run away. - - - I figured out religion was BS when I was in grade-school. When I was young the term atheist was defined as: a person that worships the devil, rapes virgins, and sacrifices animals in bloody sadistic rituals above the graves of Christians. Seriously. (Got to love the way Christians define things). When I was very young (early grade school) I figured religion (not representative of reality) was a mind-fuck game adults used to control young children. I incorrectly thought no (grown up) adult would be silly (childish) enough actually believed the BS they preached as I imagined most, with the exception of gullible children and the rare exception of a few adults with mental disorders, people did not believe in the silly (god) story. The term "Christian" simply meant you went to the church and played the make-believe game of pretending to believe in something no rational person could possibly accept as having any truth merit. When I realized many adults did not grow up to accept fact based reality over faith (belief without evidence) (defining truth as whatever they wish to believe). This was a very dark day I still remember: an intense feeling of dread for the future of mankind as I realized so many (theists) were out of sink with truth and reality.

I considered myself a secularist. Spent a great deal of time independently studying religious and social construct. Through observation and experience, I felt religions and spriritualists without a dogmatic approach to a single God were more in keeping with my value set, behaviors and desired social justice beliefs.
My family knows my beliefs and I choose to share socially with caution. Some agree and some donā€™t but we can, for the most part, agree to disagree. They have always acknowledged my refusal to go with a flow just because it was part of the assimilation process. Often because it was part of the assimilation process.
Life is. Iā€™m free of dogmatic guilt from not meeting the obligatory expectation of a specific religious structure, but also remain largely on the fringe of a belief system that is often stereotyped incorrectly. Iā€™m not really a hippie, not a devil worshiper (still a God to those who worship), not some cult follower.. but those are common misconceptions if you say out loud you donā€™t believe in an understood context. That said, Iā€™m content.
Hope that provides some insight, at least from a single perspective.

Life without a belief in a deity is pretty straightforward. No need to twist and bend reason and logic when God fails to do what you think God should do, due to the simple acceptance of the fact that the universe works on a whole different set of principles than "God controls it".

A family member inplying I was going to hell if I changed religious sects and little to proof there is an god. I'm became an atheist on my and the only one in my family that I'm aware of. I'm still an closeted atheist , but hope to be out one of these days. I love thinking for myself and thinking about reinventing myself.

It just seemed so unlikely to be true, while the motivations of the people who expect you to believe are pretty obvious & totally unspiritual.

Carin Level 8 Aug 1, 2018

My family's response was to be insulting & condescending, but then that was their response to anything they didn't agree with.

Certainly reading the Bible contributed, there is so much in there which does not gel with my notions of the world, evidence and truth. My father is pretty much an atheist, although like the rest of the family he doesnā€™t talk about it much. The atheists and the Christians in my family have a live-and-let-live policy where we avoid discussion and proselytising.

Denker Level 7 July 27, 2018

I often jokingly answer that question by saying reading the bible -- I started Genesis a Xtian and finished Revelations an atheist. It's not that simple, of course, tho that was a big part of my beginning to drift away from belief. In the end, after investigating a lot of different religions from Western to Eastern to Pagan,I simply accepted that I couldn't believe in the supernatural no matter how it was packaged or who was packaging it.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only family atheist. They all know I'm an atheist -- I don't parade it but I don't hide it either -- but no one has ever said anything to me about it. We're not a talking or sharing feelings type family.

Altho my Dad would sometimes use my atheism to his advantage. He and my stepmother joined a Presbyterian church and when I visited them Dad liked to take me with him to his Men's Sunday Bible study group. I could ask the questions he was too polite to, and discomfit the group bully.

The discussion with John, Time stamp 1:10 clearly describes the difference between theists and atheists. Really worth watching to understand the difference between those with religion (believe in god) and those without.

It's probably the same as anyone else except you can pontificate about how smart you are for not getting sucked into religious nonsense and how stupid religious people are because they have

Seriously? If you do that may be more for your own ego than anything else.
Being an Atheist does not make you smarter and believing does not make them dumber.
I would say any Atheist that feels any superiority over believers solely on a personal choice that effects no one else is pretty classic case of narcissism.
Also it is simply not true. Atheists can no more disprove God than believers can prove him so that part is at least a stalemate. As an atheist you believe there is no god...you do not know it other than for yourself.

I make some very poor personal choices that many would label me "stupid" for but they are personal choices and I understand the consequences and the drawbacks and they don't really impact anyone else directly. I mean I could care less if people think I am dumb anyway...always been smart enough to get what I need/want which is as smart as I need to be

Plenty of very smart believers out there. You can easily believe in God without being part of an organized religion. I know plenty of people that believe in God but would feel better about being on this site than as part of any organized religion

@maxhyde I agree entirely I was being ironic, but that seems to be the position of many of the posts which are placed here.

@Geoffrey51 Sorry, my bad. Sarcasm and irony don't come across well in text sometimes. Yeah I have noticed a trend that topics are quite anti-religious and seem to place atheism on a pedestal. I mean ideally that is what atheism should become but it is a journey that never really is complete.

@maxhyde that's a good way of putting it.

Birth father was out of my life early. Vietnam infantry officer with anger issues, met himyears later and he was surprised I was not religious. Mom was apathetic, never really talked religion with her until I was 44, shared myreasons and she was yeah, I always thought it was bullshit. Grew up in the Bible belt and learned to say I was agnostic to avoid being told every spilled milk wastage punishing me. After I grew up I dropped agnostic andthink I treat others well enough I want them to know a decent atheist.

And by that I mean an out atheist, not just stuck with their stereotypes

Having been an atheist all my life I guess I would answer your first question by stating that nothing made me be a theist, rather than something making me atheist. I've tested that through exploration of different faiths and not even came remotely close to swaying me toward belief in a creator or divinity.

Both of my parents were Christian growing up but we never attended a church. And I have a sister who is also an atheist so I have a bit of comfort at family events as her and eye exchange eye-rolls.

Common sense, math was my favorite subject so I guess what they were teaching me didnt add up. I always wondered what happened to the dinosaurs, how Cain and Able had wives since they were Adam and Eve's kids. And so much more bs.

In my town you were Christian unless proven Jewish. At age twelve I realized I (my family) was not Christian. Not only that but upon short reflection, I did not believe in God.

I saw a sign on a telephone pole saying "Free atheist lessons with ice cream to follow each session." The receptionist took one look at me and said, "You already know how to discern reality from groundless theological and supernatural fantasies, right?" With one nod, I was admitted to the ice cream social.

It was either that or I knew I was being handed a bunch of malarkey from a very early age.

My vast reading audience is free to decide which version is eminently more likely. šŸ˜›

Nothing made me an athiest. Itā€™s the default position. I think my parents are athiest. I know my brother is. Have I told my parents about my religious thoughts? No. We never really talked about religion when I grew up and we donā€™t now. Maybe thatā€™s a reason that you were looking for.

I was 13 when I realized I couldnā€™t be made to believe in religion and proclaimed myself an atheist. I didnā€™t even know that was an option until brought to my attention(I was raised in the bible belt). It seemed to make sense for myself at the time, even though I didnā€™t have the reasons I have today. I just couldnā€™t ever get straight answers. I would get circular arguments or ā€œyou shouldnā€™t question those kind of things.ā€

I am the only atheist in my family. I told them at 13. They never really said anything about it. I think they assumed Iā€™d ā€œgrow out of it.ā€ They actually have always been very understanding and let my siblings and I come into our own views about religion without tryin to force their beliefs on us. Theyā€™re kind of awesome like that. These days, they are still believers but agree with many of my criticisms of religious belief.

Born that way. When people told me otherwise, I looked for evidence and saw none.

After I found out about Santa Claus

Education: as I developed the power of logic and reasoning, I began to see the irrationality of religions and the belief in supernatural things called god.

I was born in a very religious family. I practised Hinduism as I grew up. But I also had to opportunity to go to school and learn to read and write. The more I read the more I discover. I started studying Psychology and Science. My views changed and my outlook on religion took transformation. Everything I need in my life is already inside me. The power is within. Thus comes liberation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:137317
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.