Agnostic.com

28 3

Praying with others??

In situations where there is prayer going on whether it be a family event or a social situation, what do you do? Do you place you head down and go along with the crowd or do you look around at all the people praying to God for some type of outcome? Personally, it is the latter for me.

Jjones 4 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I make one exception to how I participate; my oldest and sweetest friends pray at mealtimes. Out of respect for them I just bow my head; I do not respond "amen" when they do, as they know I am not a believer. We co-exist. Every situation should be thoughtfully considered.

That is exactly what I do with my family. They pray at family gatherings and I just casually stand there until they are done blessing the food and then I dig in.

I make sure I get a roll out of the basket. For some reason there are never enough dinner rolls, "grace" is a good opportunity to score one for myself.

I remain quiet, but take the opportunity to observe the others who are present.

Denker Level 7 July 24, 2018

I do the former because being potentially disruptive to a social function that isn't about me in the slightest is not worth me stubbornly making a personal point to a bunch of people who won't listen in the first place. I believe in the freedom of choice, and in any circumstance where I would find myself in this situation I am very likely to be a fringe participant. Because I appoach social situations from an anthropological framework, I am hesitant to openly disrupt the social functions of another (sub)culture group without extremely good cause.

I mean, you can look up and not participate in the prayer without being disruptive and disrespectful. It's not like you are cracking jokes in the middle of the prayer. Do you actually participate in prayer? So you say a prayer yourself?

@Jjones you have no idea the kind of toxic rural nonsense I've seen. Some old lady in the room peeks around and raises the 'so why weren't you praying with us' loud enough for a few people to hear because people have nothing better to do than start drama for entertainment, and if you try to point out she wasn't really either (because she was spitfefully looking for someone to do this to) everyone in the room defends her and the entire function is disrupted AND everyone is 20% more spiky and awkward towards you for the duration. I might not close my eyes but I'll at least bow my head. Personal point < not disturbing someone else's social function. It's much easier to be an observer and guest if people aren't looking for extra reasons to take exception to your presence.

@Jjones I have had a group of people attempt to gang up on me physically because I was wearing a pentacle and was in the same room as them. They only left me alone because one of my two friends was a) a woman and b) bigger and redder of neck than any of them and they weren't interested in fighting someone they couldn't socially acceptably hit back, especially someone who had 6 inches and 50 pounds on them. Toxic environments teach funny things.

@geist171 wow, now that is just ridiculous right there. I love the hypocrisy within the religion. They are flat out judging you for not praying. I definitely understand where you are coming from. I really hope you are not put in that situation often. It must be very uncomfortable. May I ask, are these like church gatherings or just the occasional prayer for an event? I don't mean this negatively but I think that as a whole we should not stay ideally and let the people who pray run the show. We do not believe in their religion so why would we partake in their practices. Any time I am put in this situation I am going to stand quietly to the side and let them do them. The more we show we are here, the more it would be come the norm. That is the hope anyways.

@Jjones there's not really a specific set of contexts for this kind of nonsense. It's an endemic and pervasive element of daily life in the rural south. I have very catholic, racist, Baptist-hating, family in the Louisiana farmlands, and I grew up in a place in the NC mountains where being 'super religious' means you go to church 3 times a week instead of just twice and there's 1 church for every 14 people in the population. We're talking churches across the street from other churches that are the exact same sub-denomination. There's a messianic zionist cult, a holiness church, a kingdom hall...and the bizarre schisms are tangible: it's an incredibly common practice for parents of teenagers to forbid their children from dating people who don't go to the exact same church. A girl I knew in high school got pregnant and her father made her stand up in front of their church congregation AND APOLOGIZE TO THEM. The Jewish kid in ROTC frequently got his yarmulke taken by his ROTC classmates because they thought it was fun to play keep away with it. There is no discernable Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, or other non-Christian presence (there might be twenty or thirty black people in the whole county, most of the non-white population is immigrant Christmas tree farm labor, and the folk history of the area includes running all the black people out of the area except for one guy and his family because he was the best greenskeeper in the state at the time) unless you want to drive an hour in any direction to an actual city. Our biggest towns only have two stoplights, but like fifteen churches.

Hold hands and look around for others doing the same. I don’t say amen.

I'll do whatever demonstrates that I'm not going with the flow.

mt49er Level 7 July 23, 2018

While everyone’s head is down, I shamelessly pick my nose.

Hermit Level 7 July 23, 2018

@Stevil You can prick your finger...

I fake it and I look around. Those looking back might think as you do.

I put my head down and hope it doesn't take long . I know Im wasting my time praying to something that don't exist.

I just sit quietly and wait for them to finish.

Out of respect for others I simply stand with them.

I take advantage of the situation to clear my mind, to escape, to disengage. Sort of mediation.

JenM Level 4 July 23, 2018

Feels odd. I'll grab hands with my family in a circle and just stare off into space.

I don't. Mist people know I'm Athiest.

I look around and smile at the morons with their heads bowed. Usually one or two are doing the same, looking at me and smiling.

I count the number of people and when they're done, I say, "damnit we needed X prayers we just fell short, now nana's going to die of cancer!"

Even when I was at all religious I did not bow my head at prayer.

I use the time to think and reflect about whatever is on my mind at that juncture..it could be literally anything..Its important to use the time wisely. I go along with all the bowing etc..but I'm only there in body....

I have answered this before. I don't bow. If they all have their heads down they can't see me. If someone does see me that means they didn't bow either, so what can they say.

My religious brother asked if I could come to temple because they needed a minion. Someone’s father had died. I only went because someone passed away. Kinda just ignored the prayers and wasn’t following at all. Made small talk with my brother and his son in law. I was very uncomfortable

jab60 Level 6 July 23, 2018

Decided on that specific issue a decade ago. I smile and just sit there with eyes open. If I get a question, I merely answer NO THANKS

EMC2 Level 8 July 23, 2018

Depends on the situation but most commonly I will stand/sit quietly with eyes open.

I was EXTREMELY religious, and I do understand why people can be so blind to religions... now that I am agnostic I don't pray but I do respect peoples beliefs. So, I would stay quite and show my consideration for those who are praying.

vmedel Level 6 July 23, 2018

I'll leave the room if possible. When I can't get away, I just stand quietly without bowing my head. I react the same way to the pledge of allegiance and the star spangled banner.

I tend to stay out of those situations

But if the situation we're to arise, what would you do? Or what would you think you would do?

@Jjones I would not partake in the ritual

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:137732
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.