Agnostic.com

23 3

Why does it anger you when a person tries to convert you to their belief?

I think I get so angry because I just feel like it is some form of manipulation and control that person wants to have over you. Maybe in their sick little mind, they think they’re helping, but it really pisses me off.

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it makes you angry because it's so damn disrespectful. Why does anyone assume you're not smart enough or sane enough to have considered the situation and formed your own opinion.

I am not angry provoked by the hell threats nor heaven bribes yet I do reply instantly they go back to Bethlehem where their lies belong

Because saying shut the f*** up and mind you own business is socially unacceptable.

"Mind your own fucking business"
There, fixed it for ya!
🙂

I don't get angry when they try to convert. I get angry by the stupidity they display when I reason with them.

Oh yes. I’ve actually had a woman tell me the earth appears to be six thousand cause god had to put time on hold when he was kicking the devil out of Heaven and they had that big fall out.

I totally understand I'm currently going through something similar. I get angry and emotional and annoyed. I've even had someone pray because I was annoyed. Honestly I think it has to do with not confronting things about my views on religion and feeling excluded because I'm a questioning Christian and also being told that im nit a true believer. Athiests( Sam Harris) hardly ever get emotional with religious people, in fact they laugh.
It's as if what ever anyone religious says doesn't affect them and there is no fear of being persuaded.

It’s one of several things that appear to get easier with age. When I was your age, they felt they could intimidate, or at least confuse me. And yes, they’d ‘pray for me.’ Now, it’s hard to look someone your father’s age in the eyes - with obvious life experience, and not have ..more respect. Hold your own; you are correct, and time will only confirm that...

At first it does not. I tell them that I am not interested. i explain to them that I respect their rights to believe, and they should respect my rights. If they will not stop, then I ask them if they believe that their god gave me free will, then they are subverting god's intention and they should not play god and take that right away from me. By then most usually stop. If they don;t then I show them how stupid their beliefs are by pointing out inconsistencies from the bible.

You belief system is your own personal private business. It is guaranteed by the 1st Amendment. I do not discuss religion. I am not must into dogma, although I will look things up in the Bible. It is an old book and it has history. They quit trying to convert me years ago. My family are bible banging evangelists. I am nothing like them. I think they got the wrong baby.People ask me about why I don't go to church, I tell them I go all the time. Every time I step Out Side I see God's perfection everywhere and I know I am in church.I would just tell them you have your choice of belief and I have mine. All paths lead to God. Not open to discussion.

I think the religious people feel the same way as atheists do on this subject. I was able to be open-minded and see it fron a different perspective.

To me it's a sales pitch and I handle it like any other sales pitch...No, thanks.

It no longer angers me, it disappoints me.. I like to think everyone I meet is a potential friend, if our meeting is viewed by them as nothing more than an opportunity to bring me onboard their ark of the imagination, I’m saddened.

Varn Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

Because I know things that the person trying to convert me doesn't and if they did have that information, they wouldn't be trying to convert me.

It doesn't anger me as much as dissapoint. When a dellusional fool tries to convince me to discard rationality, discard the concept of understanding based on demontrable fact and testable evidence, discard logic, discard questioning thought, and replace all that with blind, unquestioning belief, then the response is sorrow and profound pity for that individual.

In effect, 'How the HELL could your beliefs and fairytales be better than what I already have? A questioning, rational mind?'

You feel anger because the person is failing to show respect for you and your beliefs -- as well as for your right to believe what you wish,.

Count to 10.. walk away...
Just walk away...

For me, because it (intentionally or otherwise) carries implications that I'm not strong in my convictions, that my convictions arent well thought-out, ..essentially that I'm weak-minded. I find it incredibly disrespectful.

The Force has no effect on my mind. Many Jedi have tried.

they want to validate their own beliefs by converting you to theirs and/or their religion makes them feel good and they want you to feel 'that type of good' too.

I’ve heard that ...and honestly, it’s slightly more difficult for me to rebut. But if their bliss is based on delusional thinking, I may as well ‘feel better’ smoking a joint… And no, Mr. Attorney General ..I don’t do that anymore 🙂

@Varn It's legal here, and probably gonna stay that way....we all have our crutches and other people probably find them silly...a shared crutch makes a strong community...I should put that on a bumper sticker...a delusion is non-shared imaginary belief...I think there are enough people who believe in 'god' to say that it isn't 'delusional'...a shared delusion is no longer a delusion...another bumper sticker...I'm on a roll...maybe a danish...badump bump zing!

It doesn’t make me angry. I have an old friend who went Pentecostal...the speakin’ in tongues, rollin’ on the floor, gettin’ a healing type. Whenever we had a slow day in at work, he would stop by my office and try to sell me on his brand of religion. I would usually just quietly listen to his pitch and then politely tell him I simply lacked faith. From time to time he would asked if was cool to discuss church, Jesus, Bible...etc...I told him sure, ...didn’t want him to be a sinner (in his own mind) and not try to sell it. He would cringe whenever I referred to it as “selling his brand of Jesus”.... Whenever he was having a bad time, I would tell him to “talk to the pastor or that Jesus guy...that’s what you pay your dues for”. Then sit and listen to his woes anyway. Afterwards, I’d get a hug and a “Thank you, Brother.”....and no, I still won’t come to your church. ?

Most readers have probably seen this, but I can't help repeating it here for this particular subject:
Religion is like a penis. It's a perfectly fine thing for one to have and take pride in, but when one takes it out and waves it in my face we are going to have a problem.

Becaus some believers honestly think I'm the one with the problem, not them. Like, I'm fucked up because I don't acquiesce to a figment of their imagination....foh....

It’s very hard to argue with the religious idiots as they just get mad. Probably best to just ignore them.

I don't really get angry. I really feel sorry for them. I mean to put your entire life, life style and the way you live over the template of a lie is bad. I guess it depends on how you are perceiving them.

Unless they persist, I get over it.
Otherwise I feel it's an invasion of privacy

I thought you answered your own question well.

gearl Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

Oops, I did it again!

it does not anger me I just changed the subject and talk about something else. Can go on with my own private thoughts about the situation. it's important to keep peace with coworkers most I might tell them is I believe in the theory of evolution and leave it go at that.

dc65 Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

My father’s still a master at that, conversational evasion! Not me, I must take after my mother…

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.