Agnostic.com

11 2

Boys will be boys

What does everyone think about the saying “boys will be boys”. I hate it, personally. It gives license to boys to do whatever they want without consequences. And shows a lack of parenting. And they grow up entitled

jab60 6 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As the mother of 2 teenage girls, I really think it would be easier to teach boys how to respectfully treat other people than it is to try to teach girls to be constantly vigilant about getting assaulted.

It says to me: no further development can be expected. Makes me turn away from both the speaker and the subject.

It's a phrase used when boys act in a way designated as "typically masculine" by a patriarchal society - which, more often than not, means they have been aggressive and/or stupid. Personally, I think men should find that rather insulting: boys and men can also be gentle, thoughtful, kind and nurturing. This is another benefit of feminism - it allows males, as well as well as females, to be who they are and all they can be.

Jnei Level 8 July 24, 2018

It is a subtle example of misandry.

I agree with you 100%.

I've always liked this song because it challenged gender stereotypes.

This is why I have no posterity. I would have had to drown the boys like kittens in a burlap sack.

I've only heard it used to excuse inexcusable actions . As in , "He raped my daughter . Well you know , boys will be boys ."

And girls will be girls.

Wow. Very interesting comments. My perception of this phrase is a much different definition than the majority here. I've only heard it used, and used it myself, to express admiration for something young men did or are doing. Usually something aggressively physical, or pushing the limit to achieve a goal. Frequently connected with physical danger for "the boys".

Boys will be boys and Girls will be girls but when we mature we need to behave like Men if we are men and Women if we are women.

What about man up? The adage once was "so mature" with derogatory overtones. Think it would be stated accept personal responsibility. That is more of an androgynous statement.

azzow2 Level 9 July 24, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:138702
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.