Agnostic.com

11 7

"Being an atheist means you have to realise that when you die, that really is it. You've got to make the most of what you've got here and spread as much influence as you can. I believe that you only live through the influence that you spread, whether that means having a kid or making music."

Matt Bellamy

Good morning all 🙂

Knitfreak 7 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

None of what we do as a race will amount to a blip on the timeline of the universe; therefore, we must be content to know that what we do as individuals will be remembered only by a few for a very short time, but to those few, we should try to leave worthwhile memories.

I tried making a difference but it's pretty much impossible. I don't see a reason to feel so urgent if it's not going to accomplish anything.

So instead I just remind myself that I was dead before I was born and that wasn't a big deal. No knowledge of suffering when you're dead am I right? I look forward to death now honestly.

Yes it does. Good morning back.

Good afternoon.

Do what makes you happy, because when it's all over there are no after credit scenes.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 9, 2018

That is not necessarily so as being an Atheist has nothing to do with death. Atheism is just,
"disbelief OR lack of belief [non-belief] in the existence of God or gods". That is all.

Well, atheism pretty much eliminates the afterlife or heaven. When you're dead you're dead, no heaven and no resurrection.

One can be an Atheist and believe anything about an afterlife. Returning as a different life form, reborn on another galaxy far, far away, or just existing in an eternal, dreamless state. It has nothing to do with Atheism. Again, Atheism is just "disbelief OR lack of belief [non-belief] in the existence of God or gods". That is all.

I agree. I am leaving behind lots of items I've made so my kids can tell their kids and grandkids, Grammy made this. In fact, my current project is a baby quilt for future grandchild to be born in May. Then Xmas gifts for the kids, cuddle quilts to use while watching TV. That fabric has been in my stash for far too long.

I am currently knitting a baby blanket for a cousin who is expecting her third. 🙂 I don't know how to quilt. I was looking at it though as I used to sew quite a bit. I have a quilt that I love that I purchased. It is looking pretty abused. New hobby time?? I gotta finish the baby blanket first but Michigan winters can be long. 🙂

Be careful! Quilting can be an addictive hobby, judging from the amount of fabric in my stash. I also knit and crochet. And yes, I live in Nebraska, winter is a Bi**h. Although I have to say I have crocheted a 14 pound afghan, so knitting and crochet are addictive as well.

We try to make the most of our lives while we are here on this planet. We try to make a difference in other people's lives. Yes we leave children, future inhabitants of this place, music, books, writings, scientific research, etc.

Good morning to you! Theist often like to say because we have no God that life is meaningless. I respond that knowing that I won't live forever makes it all the more valuable. When I die I will cease to exist, I will not have a brain to know the universe exist. It will continue but I will be unaware of it.
What give me meaning and purpose it to do whatever I can to contribute to mankind now while I can, I got just one chance and no one to "just forgive me" when I screw up, what a rush!

I agree! My life has a lot of meaning.,.. at least to me and my loved ones. There is so much that we can do with our limited time here. I intend to live to the fullest. 🙂

@Ad4hubby Jefferson defeated theocracy by DECLARATION power of his words, built a University and modeled in Virginia Law separation of state from churches THUS HE INSCRIBED HIS HEADSTONE donated his library to CONGRESS and sired 2 beautiful families by Sally Hemmings and her half sister Jefferson's widow. ....her daughter married a Randolph.. ..the living cousins number in thousands many gather @ Monticello often ....sadly Jefferson wrote to Thomas Paine discouraging him from proving the bible wrong. ....Jefferson published 56 pages from the bible and simply used a razor to cut and paste his short edition. ..
....this kind of freedom from religion is part of our American Atheist heritage one human race and a love for creative inventions. ...my daughters are a librarian and an engineer 42&23 while we are not dead yet MORE GOOD TO COME

Good morning to you too!

Knowing that we have a finite time, though the exact amount is generally uncertain, is important. It's what makes us want to accomplish something during our lifetime, to make a difference or be remembered or whatever motivates us — or not. There's value in knowing that I have only so many days, however many it ends up being, and if I decide to use some of them for leisure, that's my prerogative too. I think the real value is in being able to make that informed decision, to make use our time in whatever way aligns with our priorities, without the illusion that we'll have eternity to make up for not doing the things that really matter to us.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13883
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.