Agnostic.com

26 6

How do you reply to "Have a Nice Day"?

"Have a nice day," clerks say.

"Thanks for the advice," I reply. Most people laugh.

Do you have a fun comeback to "Have a nice day"?

LiterateHiker 9 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Thanks, you too."

I know I'm boring.

I've always liked, "Don't tell me what to do!" ?

@GinaMaria,

Thanks for the laugh. Too funny!

I'm too chicken to use Carlin's response (in the grocery checkout): "Yeah, yeah, yeah, will ya give me my fuckin' change, please?" LOL!

This doesn't answer your question but I think it's marginally relevant: Here in the UK many (most?) people mock 'Have a nice day'. However I use it frequently because so many of us Brits don't seem to care whether you have a nice day or not. For me it gives out a good positive sentiment and when I say it I really do mean it. Maybe I am really trying to say: Come on fellow British, let's give out a good message much more and try to mean it.

@iamjc There's no 'thing' that we say. Staff in bars and restaurants feel no obligation to say anything. However they will usually go with a simple 'Thank you' or some similar (in my opinion) bland comment. Most of us think that 'Have a nice day is just a platitude and not really said with feeling but my point is: That's fine because at least it's part of a culture that wishes someone well. I will leave it there because I just realised this is in Silly, Random & Fun and I am getting a bit too serious.

Have a nice day!

Don't tell me what to do !!!

Simon1 Level 7 July 25, 2018

Beat me to it!

I just say ..you too. Cheers.

What else can you say?

Thanks, you have a nice day too.

I say "same to you friend" and be kind.

Thanks for the warning??

I tell people to "have a nice day" all the time. When they wish me a nice/good day, I just say "thanks, likewise" to the person and move on. I rather like it better when people wish for me to have a nice day vs. the other stuff most people say. But when they "god bless you" at me, I say "thanks, likewise" just the same. As long as someone is honestly wishing me well, I don't care how they do it. I honestly thank them back, because no one is obligated to wish me any kind of well at all.

I don’t have a clever answer for that one, but when someone says, “You have a nice one,” I sometimes say, “Where did you hear that?” It seems to confuse almost everyone.

Hermit Level 7 July 24, 2018

I smile and say "You too!" or some variation thereof. Why be a jerk when someone's just trying to be nice? Not enough nice in the world, honestly.

'Don't tell me what the hell to do!'

@Holysock

Very funny!

I usually just smile and say uh-huh. Anyway it's nice to meet a fellow scouse on this site. I was born in the pool and lived in Garston and Allerton.
We emigrated in 1954 and have lived in Canada since then except for 56 and 57. I went to the Liverpool Institute (fondly known as the instinks)
and I went there with two of the future Beatles, Paul and George. My nan had tea a few times a week with John Lennon' s aunt who raised him. They lived on Verney Crescent. Hope you are well. I won't say have a nice day...its a worn out phrase with no sincerity. I'll just say...i hope you are having a wonderful life. Cheers.

Fuck off!!

I just say "likewise" or "don't jinx it!" it depends

I just say thank you and wish them the same.

Never said more that "you do the same". It's a throw away, and I answer with a throw away.

zeuser Level 9 July 24, 2018

Thanks, same to you? Lol

"Thank You" has ALWAYS worked for me.

I usually say have a good one.
Leaves their options open.

I use this too much, have no idea what else to say. When I get to know the people better I have different comments.

I'm in Australia where it's usually too warm to have an ice day.

The warmth brings flies, which encourages us to keep our mouths shut.

So we usually just nod and grunt.

No, but I do have:

"Hi." (as in, "High" )
---"I wish..."

And of course, "See you later."
--- "Not if I see you first."

i say you have an ice day too...nobody ever understands me

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:138925
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.