Agnostic.com

184 25

What if you are wrong and there IS a god

Im atheist . And I get asked this often . Was curious to know other non believers answer to this . Without getting into to much detail my answer is simple. If I am wrong and im hell doomed for not believing then thats fine with me . Maybe hell is where I belong . Because there is just to many things in the bible itself I can't justify . Too many evilness . God murdered o don't know how many people including kids . He tortures gay people . Ect. I will not bow down before such an evil being . I also have questions for him as well. One being why has remain hidden ? Why did he leave behind no evidance of his existance? And even more confusing leave more evidence of him NOT existing and then throw us in flames for eternal torment for not believeing him ? If he does exist we have a mad man on charge and we should all be fearful of this lunitic . So send me to hell god because I would never follow you anyways

DavidDeLa89 6 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

184 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If is the operative. All religions rely on IF!

I read an interesting comment by a well known Spanish writer who said if there is a God then great and if there isn't so what? God is said to be forgiving so if you live a reasonable life, don't pull of a mass murder or do lots of evil stuff you are OK and can go to the magic place in the sky called Heaven (that doesn't exsist). If you just die and become dead you won't go anywhere. You will rot in a box or mold away. Better to be burned up and become a bunch of atoms and molecules and join the molecules and atoms of Elvis that are floating around in Space.

Iggie Level 3 Apr 10, 2018

I have been asked this before too. My response seldom changes. IF I'm wrong and god does exist, then he is a fucking monster devoid of ANY empathy or compassion, and completely unworthy of 'worship' or adulation. Fuck god.

Is she hot

There are over 3000 gods being worshipped, or a few gods being worshipped in 3000 different ways by most people and if you don't worship that god or gods in a certain way you will be damn . The Egyptian gods hold the record for time, I guess. The thing is if I wantedto worship a god it would be Odin . He came to rid the world of Frost giants.Jesus came to rid the world of sin.I don't see no Frost giants. The reason some don't believe in odin are the same reson I don't worry about jesus

Shep Level 4 Apr 11, 2018

If there is some kind of Gawd, I will be immensely pleased because after I yell, scream, and swear at "it", I will be able to kick the shit out of "it" & stomp off! Stupid mother%$#&÷@$!

I have had this question put to me a thousand times by christians I used to know. I always ask them in return "What if YOU"RE wrong". They usually rebutt with "I'm not wrong". I say "oh really! How's that?" They say, "well, because the bible says....." I tell them "You're bible is bullshit and you have no proof". That usually ends the discussion. They cannot fathom the idea that THEY have devoted their entire life to a lie and a myth.

I will say that even if the god of the bible is real, as Stephen Fry says, I don't want into heaven, not on "god's" terms because they're abusrd and ridiculous. If all the sign-waving religitards are right, I would much RATHER spend eternity in hell than in heaven with a bunch of jesus worhipping nutcases.

If I die and find myself brought before a god, that god is gonna have a whole lot of explaining to do.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

My reply: How do you know there is?

Maybe, if God does exist ( I'm not saying he/she/it does or doesn't), the nature of God as known to mankind was just mankind creating God in OUR image.

I been Wrong before.

So have I. I think it was on a Thursday... 😛 (I could be mistaken about that).

If I'm wrong, then I have some serious questions about God's role as a leader!

I don't believe in a heaven OR a hell. (Coincidentally while I was a Christian attending a number of different denomination's churches many of them insisted there was a heaven but no hell.) I also don't believe in an anthropomorphic deity. However, IF there was, I would not believe in a petty, tyrranical, punitive god. If god is supposed to be a model for morality then, as far as I'm concerned, there can't be a hell. As a seriously flawed human being I could not send people to the kind of hell describe in th bible or by Dante. If I can't, then a 'good' god should be utterly incapable of doing so. And to go one further, I see no reason why an anthropomorphic deity should represent the male rather than the female (as it was in the earliest religions).

In 'proper' Christianity hell doesn't exist. It is a construction of the Middle Ages. Dante's Divine Comedy is basically a commentary on characters and people from history and, according to their deeds, placing them in in the different levels of Hell, Purgatory and Heaven, framed by the then current (early C14th) medieval world view as expressed by the Catholic Church. For the first real expression of a geographical 'Hell' see The Myth of Er in Plato's Republic

In the UK a lot of the christian sects no longer believe in hell. They can't reconcile the idea with the loving god they want to worship. They tend to prefer something very vague like 'Those who believe and love god will, in some way, be united with him and their loved ones after death. Those who don't believe won't achieve this'.

Pascal's wager aside. I would not worship the god of Abraham, if I knew for a fact that he is real. The god of the bible is a hateful, vindictive, narcissistic monster.

My question is why would you want to spend eternity praising a creature who is so egotistical he would just as soon torture you for eternity if you didn't.

JimG Level 8 Apr 28, 2018

Will deal with that if and when the evidence is provided and not until.

I just ask "What if you're wrong and the real God is Zeus? ready for the thunderbolt up the bum hole are we?"

Well seems like you have it figured out. These are the words I fall back on when asked that question: "I'm NOT scared." Secondly: "I'm more concerned with my life NOW..here on Earth."

I will be very surprised.

I answer with the same question...
What if you are wrong and there is NO god?

Alexa Level 5 May 16, 2018

Would very politely tell God "Oops, sorry God but you were really not very convincing until you came out"

What if I am wrong and there is a tooth fairy?
What if I am wrong and the world is flat?
What if I am wrong about a million other things?
I am HAPPY to be wrong, because then I can become right. It really is no biggie; paradigm shift- Move on...

I'm happy in my opinion that there is no God.

Two biggest problems with that argument, called Pascal’s wager:

1. it’s not an either/or situation. Once you decide to bet on a god you still must decide which one... based on what? Your location? Ok good luck with that.

2. even if it were just a yes or no proposition regarding the abrahamic god for example, he would know that the only reason you believe is to hedge your bets, and that’s not true faith. So you’re going to hell anyways if you try to believe out of self preservation. It’s like trying to surrender to a merciless enemy. You’ll die anyways, except now you’re dying a cowards death.

Your answer should be "so what?" My life wouldn't change any, I would still do exactly the same thing I do everyday. And if you ask them "what if you're wrong how would your life change," what would they say? God has no control. One team still wins and the other loses and your life won't change if there is a God and their life won't change if there isn't a god. They will fall back on everything is Man's Free Will. It's that simple. Nothing changes. Where you come up with there must be a hell if there is a God I'm not sure but you can come up with all kinds of myths that go with it but it doesn't change your life one bit if you're wrong. You're not relying on any nonexistent power to control your life so there's no disappointment. If they're wrong they are disappointed because their whole thought process is based on something controlling their life and it's not true.

lerlo Level 8 June 13, 2018

I ask their god to strike me dead now. So far (50+ years) nothing.

xyz123 Level 7 June 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.