Agnostic.com

184 25

What if you are wrong and there IS a god

Im atheist . And I get asked this often . Was curious to know other non believers answer to this . Without getting into to much detail my answer is simple. If I am wrong and im hell doomed for not believing then thats fine with me . Maybe hell is where I belong . Because there is just to many things in the bible itself I can't justify . Too many evilness . God murdered o don't know how many people including kids . He tortures gay people . Ect. I will not bow down before such an evil being . I also have questions for him as well. One being why has remain hidden ? Why did he leave behind no evidance of his existance? And even more confusing leave more evidence of him NOT existing and then throw us in flames for eternal torment for not believeing him ? If he does exist we have a mad man on charge and we should all be fearful of this lunitic . So send me to hell god because I would never follow you anyways

DavidDeLa89 6 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

184 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would tell him/her/it to get lost. I've been doing fine so far...

well I don't have one so at least one god missing from the list!

jacpod Level 8 June 26, 2018

If there is, then he must be a complete sadist!

If it turned out that I was shown the proof that there actually is a decision-making being responsible for all that happens, I would be no closer to worshiping it than I am now, as a non-believer. I would consider it a monster.

Deb57 Level 8 June 28, 2018

I would want proof of what decisions it was actually making. Instead, all you get today are words designed to keep you away from this mythical being that is using such divine wisdom.

I would second a comment below and part of your comment. I have posted this before, if I could be convinced by evidence that there is a personal god that enters into the live's of humans, I would consider such a being responsible for the way things are and have been throughout history to be a crazed criminal lunatic or monster who would only deserve to be loathed.

I don’t understand these types of discussins tbh.
I don’t think of it as a choice or decision I have made.
It’a more like a conclusion. Like you think 1+1 =a based on the input and I think 1+1=2 . Good luck convincing me 1+1 is not 2 but more power to you.

My point is I don’t think I have a choice in what I know. I can research more and maybe I find different facts but as of now I know what know or know that I am missing facts and refuse to guess based on unknowns (that part is a decision, yes)

It can send me to hell.

I have to say that most christians idea of heaven is a place I wouldn't want to spend five minutes, let alone eternity.

So of there is a god, they can send me to hell. The climate may be a little warm, but as Jim Gaffigen said, at least that's where all the hookers and blow will be.

Amen brother, lol

I look at it the other way. If there is a cosmic justice, then faith on bad evidence is not the greatest justice. So I don’t live my life worried about Bronze Age myths.

I have thought about this profoundly and many times, and the answer is pretty easy. There might be "something" but even from my limited cognitive capability I know and I am 100% positive that Abrahamic religion and its variants are absolutely mythological... zero doubts about it!

Now, getting back about let's assume there might be "something", Carl Sagan put it in words so much better that I ever could, but the idea was that I swear:

"The idea that God is an oversized white man with a flowing beard, who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by 'God,' one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity."

--Carl Sagan

Large concepts often can not be stated specifically. Take love, for example... the moment you say what it is, it isn't that. The only way to describe it is through negation - to parse it what it is not.

If there is a God, I feel very sure about not being able to confirm it specifically. However, I could tell you pretty specifically that it isn't any of the myths I've heard so far.

So, if there is a God... it's nothing like people have said. And that's enough to know for now.

I still choose be without god .

I answer from a scientific perspective. If I am indeed wrong, then I am wrong. The hypothesis did not match up to facts.

Theistic perspective speaking:
If I am to be punished for questioning then Lucifer and I have more in common than I thought.

Though say your happiness in heaven includes having me in your life. Would that mean that there are two of me in either plain, or is the me in heaven a mere lie to buy your happiness?

Very thoughtful: If I am to be punished for questioning . . .

@Adam_Gaha Exactly, if one is to be punished for questioning what's the point of free will?

If we have no free will, then what's the point of church if our destinies here and thereafter are already known, and set.

If we do have free will then why should my faith be guided by anyone apart from myself?

When a theist quotes from their book, well that's only one interpretation of things. What if they're wrong?

I always like to play with the idea that all religions are just a fragment of the puzzle, and that our constant strife against one another is why everyone is wrong.

Honestly the church has done more to harm my belief in God(s) than any bit of science ever did.

@BeardedWonder Fragments of a puzzle: [nods]

Just b/c I end up being wrong, doesn't necessarily mean that Christians got it right. What if the Jews are right, Jesus is a phony, not the Messiah...and Yahweh sends you to hell for worshiping a false god? What if the Muslims are right, still the same god of Abraham, Issac, and Joshua...but you worshiped Jesus, so to the eternal human BBQ for you! What if there is a god who's named Odin, or Zeus, or Osiris? How do you know Protestant Christianity is right and not Orthodox, Catholic, Restorationism or Nontrinitarianism (Mormon or Jehovah Witness)? How do you know there is a god and ALL our religions didn't get it completely wrong?

Even if some proof of a god can be provided, there is still a huge burden of proof left to be addressed that your interpretation is 100% correct and infallible to 1) prove he/she/it made a hell and 2) what do I have to do to avoid it. Following your religion just because mommy and daddy told you too, when you have never practiced any others to see if they better miracles and revelations, isn't just putting all your eggs in one basket. It seeing the other baskets, and without any reasoning or experimentation, determining they won't hold your eggs b/c they aren't real baskets to begin with.

Although I must say, most religious people I meet are 100% basket cases! 🙂

As I have posted elsewhere, there seems to be more evidence for more than one god than for one god. If god(s) exists then they've all got it wrong.

I would ask which God. There are thousands of Gods out there. Most of the people are wrong if any one of them is true anyway.

Well, the god you address is a nasty creature but you address him as if you believe in him and are angry. atheists are often accused of being angry at god, which is ridiculous because you can't be angry at someone who doesn't exist. the observations you make about the particular god you've chosen to observe are good and valid observations... of a particular fictional character. i can't tell from what you wrote whether you're just riffing on how it would be IF such a god existed, or whether you really do believe in one and don't like him/are angry at him, which, again, is NOT the definition of "atheist" (no matter how much some theists love to tell us it is). i am not accusing you of not really being an atheist. i am just telling you the impression your post leaves, at least how it impresses me.

now, i am not worried about a hell (or a heaven for that matter -- it sounds terribly boring anyway!) since if i don't believe in a god, i don't believe in hells or heavens either. but let's imagine for a minute that i am wrong. is the god that turns out to exist really the kind of god who punishes people for being mistaken? then maybe that is also the kind of god who punishes people regardless. is the god that turns out to exist a forgiving, reasonable god? then well oops. my point is, finding out there is a god or gods is not necessarily the same thing as finding out there is a hell or heaven or finding out that the god that exists has any particular interest in whether or not i believed in him/her/it. i don't give it a lot of thought. finding out there is a god or are gods after all is about as on my list of things to worry about as finding out i am really a unicorn and my horn got bitten off by the tooth fairy. but if i try really hard to imagine there is some kind of god who reveals him/her/itself to me, presumably after my death, i still have to imagine WHICH god(s), and what KIND of god(s) before i could imagine what, if anything besides "oops," i would do or say to that entity.

g

this is always s weird question for me to answer but I'll have another go -

a) I don't really care if there is a god or not I am 70 and if s/he he it hasnt revealed themselves to me yet, times running out
b) What difference would it make to my life. I refuse to be judged by anyone especially given how many people inhabit this planet of ours
c) havent really got a c its just that most answers go in 3's. (C could be again ,how much I really don't care.)

I live my life doing the right thing. Not because a book tells me to. Not because of fear of hell. But because I have known what it is like to Not be treated "right" .

I tell my students that they know what is good and right within themselves, so they need to do what is good and right, because it is good and right.

Perhaps I can market a candy to Seekers: Good and Right. 《chuckles》

You seem obsessed with flames and being thrown into flames. I have to ask which god is it that I am wrong about? It certainly cannot be the biblical god. Too many contradictions in the book. Then people forget that Jesus himself said he had come to save the lost sheep of Israel and later, Saul of Tarsus expanded that idea to include the Gentiles. Oh, it's OK because he is St. Paul. WTF?
At a checkout yesterday there was some trouble with the credit card and a man in line said it will all be embedded in your body soon as a chip. That day is coming, he said, and it's coming soon. I left thinking that many people today actually deserved the biblical god. It's a crazy world.

If I'm wrong, and the Christian skydaddy does exist, then he is neither deserving of worship nor respect or even consideration. He is the abusive spouse of the religious world and should not be given the time of day.

Believing in something "just in case" is the most sincere form of belief

Please don't involve me in your psychosis always seems to work

Usually the people asking are Christian. If so I tell them that if the god in the Bible exists I still wouldn’t worship him. We have only his word that he is a good and loving god and I see no proof of that on earth. We were told that we suffer because we are sinners but every creature with a nervous system suffers every day. If there is a god he is the most evil creature ever.

Pascal's wager doesn't interest me. It essentially boils down to someone holding a gun to your head asking you "well what if there ARE bullets in the clip?" A threat is a threat, no matter how it is packaged, and that isn't any reason to believe something that cannot be backed by evidence or logic. You can ask them "what if blind faith alone isn't a good enough reason to get into this heaven of yours, considering there are a multitude of child rapists and murderers who fervently believe that god exists and that Jesus died for them?" As Matt Dilahunty phrased it, if it turned out he was wrong and there was a god, then that entity would have a lot to answer for if it was the same one mentioned in the bible. And if god chose to toss him into hell for using his critical reasoning skills then at least he would be secure in the knowledge that he was vastly more moral than that thuggish monster.

If there is a god the afterlife will be an endless scream of misery or agony.
He may put you in the basement. Imagine what he'll do to the people he likes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.