Agnostic.com

148 5

What was your worst experience with religious people?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

148 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most of them are illiterate and they can't make any good logic. They are also very angry minded people ????

JOY Level 2 Sep 14, 2017

just go on, move along

I was dating a Catholic. He was in the midst of a divorce and had 3 young daughters. One night the priest of the church his family attended (not him, he was a "fallen Catholic" ) came to our house. He wanted my boyfriend to sign papers having the marriage annulled so his ex could remarry in the church. We asked him exactly what that meant. The priest told us that he had to deny that the marriage had ever been consummated. My boyfriend looked at his daughters that were sitting in the same room and said, "so you are asking me to say I am not their father." The priest just stood there for a minute and said "I guess I am." He was immediately removed from our home.

Birth. I was born i a catholic hospital, then put in a catholic orphanage, on to catholic school, catholic on and on, once they died? party down.

I have met some religious people and groups that have the personality of destructive cults. I hesitate to go into too much detail about this though because a lot of people don't know about cults and how they work. But if anyone has experienced anything with cults, feel free to add to this.

You are TOTALLY not alone. Technically, Christianity is a cult, depending on what dictionary you use.

I was in a fundamentalist christian cult for ten years. This is my six year out.

My first son was stillborn at 33 weeks. Literally everything said to me was that he was waiting for me in heaven, and god had bigger plans for him, and people would pray for me, and just on and on. He's dead. I have his ashes. Thats all there is to it.

By the way, don't ever ask a nun about the Virgin Mary and artificial insemination. That really pisses them off. That happened in high school the year my mother forced me to go. Had to see the Mother Superior and the priest in charge of the boys was even bought in. Didn't go back to that school again.

Inability to speak honestly. Fear of ostricization from cultish family.

There all snobs that think just cause you don't believe you'll be condemned to hell.
The funny part is its all made up the Illuminati made up religion to scare people to conform.
My grand parents are bible thumpers and have tried to force that crap into my head but it doesn't work.

I grew up the son of a deacon. I was bombarded with Christianity day in and day out. The closer I got to adulthood the more i seen religion for what it really was, a money making scheme.

An old GF of mine said something along this line, that these people who just can't think of anything that is better than proclaiming to the whole wide world that they are somehow morally superior to everyone who is not a "Christian", are some of the most UN-Christlike people you could ever want to meet!
The father of my best friend since Junior High School, was a big time Jesus freak who loved to brag about how he never missed a Sunday in church (except while in WWII when he was killing other men!), but yet he was a big charlatan, hoaxer, flim-flam man, liar, BSer, thief and con man, always trying to sell others on his "genius" and bogus inventions! The man had no shame or moral integrity at all. He never bilked anyone out of more than a couple grand, so it was just a lesson learned for them as it would have cost ten times more than they lost to try to get it back. That's where his REAL genius was!!

On YouTube a bunch of Christians were discussing how gross it was when when to gay people kissed. Don't you think that's kind of offensive. Also my younger cousin is being lured into church because they give out teddy bears!

Teddy bears! They now also have stuffed kittens...

They pressurize.

You mean they pressure you like sales people and networkers ramming their amazing products down your throat

Exactly!!! sometimes,,,

In Dallas, Texas, my wife and I had to go into a homeless shelter run by what I would best describe as a religious cult. I signed in as Pagan, my wife signed in as Wiccan. We were both not asked, but told, to leave. Then they told us, since we had children with us (my daughter and son), they said that we could leave, but we could leave behind the kids. We took the kids with us.

The reason why we were told to leave is because we would not convert to their particular religion and they were afraid that my wife, who identified herself as Wiccan, would perform spells in the place.

Funny thing is, she was asked to do that exact thing by the workers and staff there.

My girlfriend had been together for 15 years. Then she decided to go back to the Mormon church, so our relationship was "sinful." It was the best relationship I ever had.

I work with a southern woman who pointed out a new guy and said that he was "weird", I asked why, she said he don't believe in god..."
I thought really??? You don't even know the guy, never talked to him, yet someone tells you he don't believe in god and suddenly you judge him based on that alone?
The woman didnt know I was an atheist, I almost wanted to tell her, "do you think I'm weird? Do you think Im pretty cool?" And she would likely says no and yes cause we are always helping each other at work....I would have loved to have seen her face when I told her that in fact I was an athiest...and that it seems I have better morals than her and no god told me to do so...but for the sake of argument, conflict and the fact I didnt want issues at work, I kept my mouth shut.

Sometimes its best to just pick your battles...

My oldest sister. Blocked me on Facebook over challenging her faith. Well, let me just point out, she's the kind of Christian that places Jeebus First on everything in life. That would include disowning anyone in her family that doesn't join her bandwagon. Yeah, my own sister hasn't talked to me in years because of "religion". Pretty pathetic if you ask me, and gives me even more reason to deny religion as a whole.

I've had quite a few throughout my long life, but the most recent, and probably the most horrid was when I made the mistake of being friendly with a man who occasionally attends my ballroom and swing dance club. He hit on me, but it was so subtle that I wasn't sure that's what he was doing. He was a fabulous dancer, which is a rare find. He offered to help me brush up on my dancing, and since he was highly trained, I thought "why not---I need all the help I can get." It wasn't until I had a few more chats with him that I discovered he was a right-wing fundamentalist nut job. I also found out that he hid the fact that he was married and his wife was out of town frequently. I hadn't been physically attracted to him anyhow, and after learning about his religious zeal, I was so disgusted and repulsed that I told him to never come near me again!

Every day. Because I live Ina religious family\community people are always undermining and trying to change my belief and calling it a phase.

Stay strong Selah613. I can relate to how hard it can be around believers. ????????

Cheers mate

not much to be considered worst, no physical assault of any kind . . . except for the thought that most of religious folks I've known and have met don't practice what they preach

not much to be considered worst, no physical assault of any kind . . . except for the thought that most of religious folks I've known and have met don't practice what they preach

Ha ha Athiest! I liked that one.

My mother told me not to have children because i'm an Atheist. It sounds really rough but I'm actually not really mad at her. I used to be very religious too and she's told me directly she simply believes that if I raised a child atheist then they'd go to hell in the afterlife. We still love eachother, but its been a Dificult split in the family.

"Mom with all due respect, that kind of God sounds like a jackass and intolerant of critical thinking, I'd rather chill with my homie Lucifer." If only it could be this easy.

love will keep you together

When I was a kid I went to a Catholic School and we had to go to church so yeah probably going to church

been like that the first half of my life, just "going through the motions" so my mother won't feel sad

After my stepson committed suicide, a work colleague asked me if he was a Christian. Ben’s spiritual journey was complicated, but Christianity was part of it so I said yes. She then said “good, because that means he’s now in heaven.” Which by extension would mean that if the answer was no, and if he had lived longer it might have become no, that he would not be in heaven. I have little time for a spiritual philosophy that insists that it’s my way or you go to hell.

I hate people saying they are going to pray for me! if I wanted that I would ask them to do the honours but its too presumptive.

Starting a sort of New Age group in early 90s with another and realising what you could get people to do, and even worse when i suggested it was all nonsense they wouldn't believe me and told me how wrong I was! Major wake up call!

I haven't had anything really terrible. When I was 25 I was engaged.The wedding was coming up and at the last minute he 'couldn't go through with it'. I was crushed, but stayed with him. A long time family friend who was very religious (and whose husband was chronically unfaithful -- he tried to seduce me at my sister's rehearsal dinner) invited me to dinner. When I asked if I could bring my ex-fiance with me she said 'no' she didn't allow cruel, immoral people in their home.I was floored but I'm glad I didn't say to her the things that came to mind. Needless to say I never went to their home again

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.