Agnostic.com

12 4

Something that has been becoming more and more clear to me lately is that our society,the way we live,is making us sick. We live in a world where we are constantly bombarded by the expectations of those who do not know or care for us. We are increasingly disconnected from our families and friends. The average American has something like 2 actual friends(the people who would answer the phone at 3am or bail your butt out of jail). Parents are expected to meet ALL the needs of their children AND the expectations of every stranger on the internet(many of who don't even HAVE kids). Couples are expected to meet ALL of each other's needs. All of this in relative isolation. If anthropology teaches us anything,its that we emphatically did not evolve to live this way. Humans evolved to live in large family groups, caring for one another and the group's offspring together. These days everyone is constantly and deeply stressed. Any organism exposed to prolonged stress and fear suffers illness,negative cognitive effects(for those who experience cognition) and the resulting neurosis. I don't think this is an accident. It seems to me that a sick fearful populace will swallow just about any stupid thing you tell them,buy anything that might relieve the constant pressure,even for a moment and follow any idiot who sets himself up as a savior. End Rant

OpposingOpposum 9 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

If I had these thoughts and negative attitudes I'd be in a loony bin. Negative thinking is wasted energy.

A wise, observant, and sadly - true rant.

Thanks. I've been talking to a lot of people lately and it's something I've observed about nearly everyone I've spoken with.

Bad food and drugs we don't need for the most part. Fix the food and most of us won't need the drugs.

Technology is making people detached from each other also. That's ironic being that the internet connects us with millions of other people we would never have had the opportunity to come in contact with. Every time I see someone OUTSIDE and staring at a screen, I shake my head. I go outside to be OUTSIDE!!! The worst is when someone is walking down the street, but they aren't looking where they're going because they are in their phone.

People also work way too much just to get by. Most people can't sit back and enjoy the little things when all they do is work and sleep. When that happens, every other part of your life gets neglected, including the growth of your kids and being there for and with them.

I agree ,technology is both simultaneously bringing us closer together , but it is warping our sense of how to handle actual interpersonal relationships. We have become an immediate gratification Society.

Interesting. So it seems we're socially isolated, technologically dependant, economically and financially exploited, politically alienated, morally ambiguous, emotionally disconnected from family and society, psychologically stressed, perpetually fearful and scared, and chronically unfulfilled and unhappy. Actually, we are exactly where 21 Century capitalism wants us to be: isolated, marginalised and manipulable. And the irony is people with religions, despite pretensions, are no better off. Press and push them, and they're no more consoled than anyone else, certainly no more than non believers. It doesn't even give them that, anymore. That's why most of them never or seldom go to church.

Agree, except with being all to family or spouse. I've never thought or experienced those. I love them dearly and derive great pleasure from sharing life with them. That our (western?) society demands us to work ourselves literally to death for the monetary gain of those at the top, I agree with 100%. It's bull shit. Such is a terrible waste of our precious life time.

Zster Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

Well stated.

Agreed. I dropped out and raised my kids in a commune until they were ready to go to high school. I had this same conversation yesterday to explain the high incidence of road rage here.

That pretty much covers the problems of society in the fast pace of the technological age. I am hoping that in time the changes will not be so rapid and a new flow to normal will assert itself. Time will tell.

Betty Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

Well you have economic stressors, the stresses of racism and sexism. It just seems like the pressure is coming from all sides for everyone.??

@Blindbird

I agree, there are so many expectations it's a wonder that anyone can keep up the pace.

I agree we live in unnaturally large numbers and have unnaturally large territories. our intelligence has become our biggest fault unlike say dolphins. look at chimps that live in small groups or lions. we all want to talk to people but no one cares and the internet only makes it worse.

Yeah and then when I don't give a flying f**k what they think they call me big headed and arrogant. Oh well!

Ha! I'm working on that. I do find the less attention I pay to what others expect from me,the happier I am and the smoother my life goes.

Agreed...Add to that the relative ease with which one can acquire a gun or explosives, and you have the makings of the Columbine and Sandy Hook shootings, Timothy McVeigh, the Unabomber, etc. For all of the paranoid vitriol that our president and his followers spew about Muslims, I am by far more concerned about being attacked by other Americans.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14062
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.