Agnostic.com

30 2

How long do you have to be in a relationship before it's commited one to one?

• 7 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 2 votes
JustLuAnn 7 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I kiss a guy, I want him to be only kissing me... if that is any kind of answer... I only date one at a time myself...

I didn't give a poll answer, because I don't think there is any set time, every couple is different and does what is best for them. Though I would think 6 months to 5 years especially is a bit long, wouldn't you then call that an open relationship?

Sacha Level 7 Jan 11, 2018

G'day @Sacha - No.

I Don't think that she is meaning sex, I suspect that it hasn't occurred at the stage commitment to monogamy is being sought.

In 'Straylian vernacular of a few years ago following a well received advert for "the drink you have when you are not having a drink", though the expression is dying particularly now that a large multinational has bought the product and is no longer putting it on supermarket shelves, I suggest that anything over three days without commitment, sex or agreement to ongoing terms of "engagement" is a "Clayton's relationship" - the relationship when you're not having a relationship but playing games with yourself or the other person. See Dr Eric Berne's book "The Games that People Play".

It really depends on the relationship.

Need another choice. Didn't fill out survey cause every relationship is different - can be committed in as little as 2 weeks.

I don't know what to choose in the poll. I am 'old fashioned' so to speak. I think if you are only 'dating', you can date as many people as you want to as long as everyone you date knows this and they are free to date others too.... but for me, that means no sex during dating. When you are 'in a relationship', it is exclusive and it is understood by both parties to be monogamous (I believe in monogamy and my partner would have to feel the same way)....for me 'dating' is the way to find the person you want be monogamous with 🙂

Seriously, the only rule is that there are no rules. Every couple has to figure that out for themselves.

I didn't vote, with me it is a discussion not a time period. Some have been only a few weeks, others have been seeing for years and never a commitment, sooner or later one moves on. When not committed each is free to see others.

Definitely an it depends answer. I agree every relationship is different.

And what do you mean by committed 1:1? Calling the other BF/GF or whatever label? Living together?

I think she means, when will you stop having sex with other people, and just be committed sexually to each other?

@Sacha Maybe, but I don't know how you could tell as it is ambiguous...

Committed to one another. Not seeing others just the one to one.

It of course depends on both of us looking for a one on one thing,

It really depends on the people, can't put a time limit on it.. they both will know when it's time to bump it up a notch.

I think it could be any time but I think quite quickly you know if you click.

IMO that’s something you discuss with your partner. Unless your in an open relationship, you have to be committed to that person since the beginning.

Well, there's no set time, it depends on the couple. One can fall in love n a month, or it could take a year of getting to know each other.

For me the answer is simple if only because it is very unlikely that I will get to know someone in a variety of situations within a week, probably not even a month. Therefore, I am inclined to say that six months would be a minimum time before thinking about being "committed one to one." Of course, it is entirely possible that you could be surprised later on. Nothing is written in stone, except epitaphs and there are no hard and fast rules about it.

Don't know. Do know that when those idiosyncrasies you found so cute and adorable at the beginning start to irritate you worse than listening to to a trump speech...its time to join Agnostic.com !!!

I find this tough, but I'm not going to answer as I'll be lynched for being 'big headed', lol.

I think most would answer a week. Again, not sure of this.

@MrLizard Well, lol. I was on Match.com (not any more) and I spoke to quite a few women and ended up getting on really well with 4 at the same time. Now I have 4 women 2 of which have told me they love me, I've got them lined up for tomorrow, weekend, Mon and Weds. They are all extremely hot and get on well, perfectly compatible in the bedroom (game for anything) and I'd happily be with any one of them... I'm screwed. So basically I'm in a position to be in a relationship now with any of them, 2 been around 4 weeks and 1 6 weeks. I was just messing around with my free Match trial but I appear to have gotten myself into a pickle. How do I choose?! LOL

@Zoidburg Well, You are from the UK, so pick the one with the least orange face and hair extentions who would be the biggest contender for Geordie shore 😉 he he Joke sort of

@Sacha I think you'll find I'm the opposite end of the country for that, my dear! 😛 Plus these are classy women aged 37 to 48 🙂 x

@Zoidburg That is good then 🙂

@Sacha I like class. I'm from one of the wealthiest areas in the country, the Northern stuff wouldn't fly, here! It's the opposite of the US, as far as North and South! lol

@Zoidburg I agree

@MrLizard Lol, you actually seen me, though, mate? I didn't ask to be generically attractive, but I did decide to play on it and use it to my advantage...

@MrLizard Yeah, yeah! 😉 lol

@MrLizard Mate stop being creepy. No banter with Lizard... noted.

A year and-a-day. Time to measure release and acceptance, and commitment on "day one" of new possibilities.

I year for me.

It's different for everyone, but I think after a year of dating it's time to make the move to one to one commitment if both want it.I prefer intimacy to be one to one.

I guess im a one person kind of person. As soon as it looks like it's going somewhere I drop everything else

I don't really believe that time is an indicator. I think it has more to do with discovered compatibilities, and the amount of time spent sharing experiences that bond you.

Donna Level 6 Jan 13, 2018

However long as the two of you need.

Level of selfishness can not be measured by a timeframe.

What would make one selfish? A commitment?

@JustLuAnn not wanting to share you and you not needing to look somewhere else.

None of the above, but I had to vote to comment. I'm polyamorous, I'm committed to several. Not one to one.

Time is arbitrary in this regard.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14311
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.